Maker Freak
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello?

With which maker do you prefer to work and with whom do you prefer to play?
Are there still many XP friends here? Or, are the new, like the MV more popular?

Just an interesting question. ;)

greetings :)

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Could you please clarify what the discussion element is in your question? It looks like it could become just a straightforward "I like X", or "I like Y".

Also, please note that you are unlikely to get a statistically representative response. For example, someone who has been using Ace for years and continues to do so, is less likely to have queries and so be on the forum than a newer member who is just starting out with MV and so is here more often.

Mieze

Maker Freak
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
It should just be an interesting discussion. Because you can see, which is used more often and if it makes sense for some to create something. Some do not even have the RTP from the Maker on it. Some makers have been discontinued, i mean to create resources. I've used the XP for years, but the MV is easier when it comes to settings.

About that, all can also discuss factually. ;) :)

Last edited:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV, both to work with and to play games for.

Why I like to work with MV: Because I'm fluent in JavaScript, but not so much in Ruby or whatever the older ones use. This means I can pretty much tell the engine what I want it to do and it obeys. :)

Why I like to play MV games: MV uses a more modern windowed fullscreen and scales the gamefield to fit just about any resolution vs the screen resolution adjustment used by the older ones. This makes it not only more alt-tab friendly, but also it's less inclined to exhibit some of the horrible alternate-resolution behaviors I've seen in some of the older-engine maker games--excessive brightness/contrast, viewport running off the edge of the screen, etc. With previous versions, the resolutions are almost always buggy until I override certain behaviors with my video card drivers.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There're several reasons why I'm still sticking to VX Ace
  • [Main reason] I have my own battle system script to work on and I'm really familiar with it. I don't want to redo it in MV, and no, I don't want to use Yanfly because that is exactly the reason why I coded my own in Ace as well.
  • Ruby code is cleaner than JS in my opinion.
  • Game loop is more straightforward (synchronous) meanwhile MV has the asynchronous game loop, making it seems more complex.
  • That said, JS code in MV seems like just straightforward conversion from Ace code. It doesn't seem to be coded as if following how you should code in JS. Just straightforward conversion. Which makes it even messier.
  • Compared to XP (and VX), Ace code is easier to modify.
  • Ace (and older engines) has Z index by default.
  • 32px tile by default.
  • I know inside out of VX Ace. Easier for me to dev a game or try something out.
  • I don't need extra features offered in MV (portability, bigger screen, etc).
As for playing, it is irrelevant. What I'm seeing is the product of the game, not the engine. That said, sometimes the dev usually has their own fault. Which are:
  • Forces me to full screen, I hate playing ANY RM game in full screen. That said, I never have a problem playing older engine which people seem to complain about how awful the pixel or black border when it goes full screen. Because I don't do it.
  • For MV specifically, because of bigger screen support, they go 1080p which my screen is not supported. There was a certain browser game made in MV that uses 1080p, now what? am I forced to scroll through my screen to play the game? That said, I am kinda reluctant to play MV games because some developers just aren't considerate.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
2K/2K3 for their RTP, mapping and eventing. I like the old school feel of the engine, but at the same time, it's also what hinders it when using it nowadays. Games in 2K(3) always ran butter smooth for me, even on large maps with a ton of events running along in the background. However, the biggest weakness for me is how limited the options for combat are. The lack of damage formula, along with many other settings which VXA/MV bring to the table are sorely lacking here.

MV for everything else, mainly combat and use of plugins. There's so much more that can be done with combat settings, and even more so when getting plugins into the mix. I dislike how laggy games can be with large maps or animated events, and the whole eventing system feels like a step down from 2K(3) in some regards. Some basic eventing features from 2K(3) require a bunch of work-arounds or messing with plugins to get the same effect done in MV. Really missing that extra mapping layer as well (though overlaying item tiles is a nice feature...)

As for playing, any engine will do for me. I judge games by how they were made, not in which version they were made. My least favourite version, I guess, would be XP, just because I don't like the RTP assets for it. If an XP game has custom graphics, then that's nice.

Last edited:

Mieze

Maker Freak
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Interesting views. I like working with XP and MV. I also play with everyone, depends on the game. But at the moment I have decided to work for MV. Better settings. Plugin system is easier and the resolution and performance is more pleasant. The only thing I miss is the infinite tilesets.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm currently working on a Game on RPG Maker MV. My personal reasons are : Side Battle System, Ease of Plugins, Complexity, Looks better compared to most other RPG Makers. However, I am thinking of giving Ace a try. I have seen some really impressive games made out of VX Ace.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like RPG Maker 2000 quite a lot, but I also love MV. If I could get a hybrid of both, that'd be fantastic. Especially since amazing features in 2000 are missing from every version after 2003.

I own every version in between and have a project started in each, but I probably won't finish any of them until I finish working on the one I have for MV.

I'm currently using MV because it's highly customizable to my needs (it doesn't do EVERYTHING... but it does quite a lot). I especially like that I can set how many equipment slots actually exist on a character. But, using plugins is also quite useful as it saves me a lot of time of eventing things myself.

TimothyMV

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV is definitely the best of the bunch.

taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've worked a bit with 2k and 2k3 years ago and had no issues with them. However, I hardly knew what I was actually doing and don't remember much of it as I spent many years away from RPG making.

I remember using the trial version for XP some time ago and what I really liked was how it handled map layers. I was kinda disappointed to see it changed in MV (I never used the inbetween versions). Also, I liked the default sprites :|

Now I own MV and I must say I really like working with it. I'm not "fluent" in JS, but I used to work with similar proprietary languages and it is not hard for me to understand MV's maze. That is a heavy feature for me because (a) there's a bunch of default stuff in the engine I would like to customize, and (b) I think it's faster to do some stuff with straight programming than finding a way through eventing.

As for playing, I have no preference as long as it's a fun and engaging game.

Neka Music

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
RPG Maker MV is my favorite ,because of continuous supports, DLC and more features , for example : default sideview battle system.

For the sense of graphic, I like RPG maker VX ACE , RTP sprites and facesets are excellent and good enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's raining...in winter :")
I was stunned-STUNNED-to find that I have been working on my current project since November. It feels like so much less time than that.
Stream will be live shortly with some art! Going to do a recolor, then start on a new monster! Feel free to drop by!
I've been busy working on other projects this month so I haven't been able to do much towards finishing the prep work for my RPG, but I did brainstorm some interesting ideas for the game.
redrawing one of three my VNM protags

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucansan