What is your fovorite aspect of game creation?

Dutchmountain

Engineering the impossible
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As I started creating a game myself again it reminds me how much work it is but also on the many aspects one need to work on. I already found my favorite and least fovorite parts to work on. As I like to do most aspects, specially map making, creating events, making custom things but find the whole 'dialogue / story telling' part the hardest part to do.

Do you fellow game creators have a favorite aspect of game creation? Or would you wish you could stick to just some parts of it?

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I used to hate mapping but now I find myself liking it, specially when I work on the tileset for each map and experiment with tiles. Most of the time I have to shift tiles as I don't like the default grid system way of placing them. I spend hours editing tilesets and making maps and I enjoy this honestly. And art too! I love making character portraits and editing tilesets, characters and stuff.
I also love eventing systems. logic of an enemy that chases you, evented inventory system, interaction system etc. stuff like that. I keep trying till I get what I want and sometimes it takes days or weeks. It's the actual eventing like dialogue and cutscenes that annoy me XD Hence I don't get much work done gameplaywise.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's not specific to game development, but making characters is by far my favorite part of any creative project. Everything from writing their stories to designing their appearances to figuring out their gameplay abilities is a blast

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I love sitting down and create the characters and their backstories as well as the progression they have through the game. Complimenting this is of course eventing. Aside from that, I do like mapping to some extent and I used to make soundtrack back in the day, something that I hope to pick up on again someday as its so satisfying, as well as it helps express the mood of the game :D

misterdovah

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I may find joy all the parts (lone dev, I have no choice). From storytelling to messing the js folder, I love to discover new things and improving some skills. The only part I am not focusing now is music creation.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I love to stab the combat, mapping, and eventing! They are very cathartic!

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
All of it except writing dialogue (writing plot progression and planning the scenes is amazing, but I just cannot write dialogues at all) and mapping. u wu Those are my big nope nopes. rn I am taking courses on Javascript and REALLLLY loving it now too.

Quill-Hawthorne

(buffering)
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've always been fond of puzzle-solving, so working on game mechanics is one of my favorite things. If I can find a script for it, amazing! But if I don't, I do a lot of tinkering and eventing to achieve what I want. Sometimes I work more on this than the actual game itself ;-;

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Story, dialogue, worldbuilding, doing art, mapping, thining up quest, conceptualizing enemies - love it all.

Eventing, implementing mechanics, etc - meh

Databasing and battle design - dread it!

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Favourites would be everything combat related, database organisation and setting up eventing systems.

Least favourites would be mapping and coming up with a story to tell.

ohmygiggles

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
The satisfaction of making a breakthrough and seeing it all come together! Oooh and problem solving is super fun too!

Kirri

Imagining Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Making the stories and characters definitely is my favourite. (+ making the sprites designs)
The satisfaction of my cutscenes meeting or exceeding my expectation is what makes it so worth it too. :kaopride:

On the other hand, despite my games to have battles, I don't like to database-ing. Mapping is also kinda hard because I literally have no ideas for what my map should look like.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Playtesting, I kinda hate the journey to that :p

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Argh~! Ack!! It is truely frustrating especially when you have an EXACT idea of how it is supposed to go but... cannot enjoy it because it crashes?! LOL Yeah the opposite of the question. I guess this is why we need play testers. ^^

Zia

Simp hard for ZHONGLI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENG
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Mapping and giving love to the secondary cast. Does finding errors count?

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
calculating skill formulas :]

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I find that I like literally everything except for mapmaking because it feels tedious and cumbersome. My favorite parts are probably the following:
  • Creating database elements, especially skills and equips
  • Designing battles. Arguably my favorite part, and often it goes hand in hand with the above because I like to give enemies unique and interesting attack patterns.
  • Dialog. I used to be pretty bad at this (my pre-RM games will attest to this!) but I think I've gotten a lot better at it, and I enjoy making NPCs say awkward and (hopefully) humorous things.
  • The one exception to mapmaking that I enjoy is designing puzzles, however it's come to my attention that a lot of people hate them, so...what am I gonna do? :D
  • Edit: And of course, telling the story I intended to tell. That's the whole point of it being an RPG, right?

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
being able to solve the problems I put myself into.
for instance, grabbing a 3rd party plugin and discovering its AI lags the whole thing when checking every single combination of everything, one tile at a time, including irrelevant checks.
solution? spend a good hour lying down in bed working it all out in my head, grab the maths manual and apply textbook sets theory.
I legit felt line Neo seeing all in code.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I haven't been on here in forever wow(missed my forum birthday T-T). Anyways, I'm dabbling in BGMs, here's something I'm actually willing to share.

Binge-watched 6 episodes of the Erased anime... And that means I've watched half of it?! Sigh...
I'm bad at base-building games (looking at other players created an aesthetically beautiful base compared to me), but IDK why I keep playing the game and seek more of it.
Pyra and Mythra in smash ultimate are way too OP. They're basically Smash 4 Bayonetta 2.0, and not in a good way. Very toxic and unfair. At least they're hot tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skybola188