What is your fovorite aspect of game creation?

Uruuha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My Favorite part is working on filling up the Database section. Its fun to work with Database elements and plan Classes, Skills, Gear, Enemies, Afflictions etc. Its also fun to plan the Story for the Game. However, Due to lack of Resources, I find myself gathering all the resources first and then planning a Story around it.

PixelLuchi

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Everything. The whole shebang but level design, art, UX design and writing character dialogue tends to be my favs. I'm terrible at naming things though.

Artea

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love to create new heroes and try to give to them the best personality by using pictures, I also try to pay a lot of attention to the details during mapping, so to think the best way to use the shadow etc..

Kokoro Hane

Overly Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Character creation and writing out cutscenes are my favorite part about making an RPG! Building the world, writing interactions, having a splash of lore even if the game is super short... and of course, whilst testing a game can have some unfun aspects about it, I enjoy testing cutscenes over and over to hear the voice acting applied!

Parts that are my least favorite definitely has to be setting walking routes when eventing (lots of counting squares on the grid), cutting voiced lines 'cause it's so tedious... leveling the voices isn't so bad, since in RM, I can do that in internally rather than externally, which I usually do in my VNs on another engine. BUT! Since voice over is lower and the default audio is always SUPER LOUD, the part I really, really dislike the most when doing a new RPG is internally leveling all the game sounds I am going to be using. All the system sounds, specified animations I will use a lot (gets really tedious when dealing with which animations are used in what skills, etc.) Ugh.... that's the most painful part in my opinion. Luckily I was smart with my one map challenge project, lowering everything beforehand, so when I added voices to the build later, I could just focus on voice leveling and ignore SFX for once lol.

That aside, overall, I love the game making experience, even the longsuffering of the boring and tedious parts, because when your game is done, you feel so accomplished!

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like story design (world, characters, quest), also quite like mapping or eventing. but I am not good at combat design. mostly stuck on that because I always felt it was never good enough or unique.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I stink at storytelling but eventing is a lot of fun. Mapping is growing on me though.

Azurose

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That moment where I open up the game for testing, try out a new feature I implemented or event I created, and having it work just how you want it to. It's extremely satisfying.

As for my favorite specific part, it has to be writing out story events and NPCs. I love breathing life into a world. Mapping is probably my least favorite thing to do, but designing the map itself is pretty fun. Having to actually put everything together can be a pain for me. haha

Dutchmountain

Engineering the impossible
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Roseille : Nice to see some prefer the exact oppisite of what I do, it keeps me thinking if teaming up with someone wo likes 'the other aspects' could work out.

Scorps

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I probably enjoy puzzle making the most. Creating a map and then adding puzzles, hidden rooms etc. so the player has something to find during exploration is always enjoyable for me.

Former_Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It depends on the game. With platformers, the level design was easily my favorite part. Creating new levels the players could travel through was very fun. That still applies to RPG design, but I really enjoy filling out the database with skills/weapons/items/etc. You have progress that's easy to see once you're done for the day.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Studying more game mechanics and game design... If someone have some tips, I would be happy to read!
I finally caved and bought myself a Switch.
I'm having some trouble finding an established sub-genre to classify our current project. Effervesce Fallacy™ is loosely based on chaos theory . . . does anyone know what this sub-genre is called?
I figured I should start off with a game this (I think at least)would be easier to program. Demonstrating Card drawing for Black Jack

I'm playing Pokémon Yellow to celebrate National Pokémon Day. :smile: What Pokémon games is everyone else playing?

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piotr55