Hollow 1977

Rpg MV Game Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi everyone. I would like to ask what your motivation is to creating your game. Was it something you wanted to do after playing a game. Or maybe you played a game and wanted to make changes to make the game better. Or just thought it would be awesome to create a game. Whatever that motivation is or was feel free to post here.

I'll start. Ever since I could play PC games or Mario games I wanted to create my own game. It was not to be an rpg yet as I had only played Mario and Zelda games on the nes. I wanted to create a Mario game where Bowser gets to be the lead and battle Mario like bosses in different worlds. Plus I used the Bowser from the Mario animation as I liked him better. Later on after playing my first rpg Dragon Warrior I started to want make an rpg but at the time no system was available so eventually rpg maker was released but in Japanese. Again I was like bummer. But my dream came true when XP was released for PC and I began my path to create a game of my own.

TheMutantSpaceDancer

Maker of Goof 'ems.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My motivation is the thought that I will be able to make people laugh and make people happy, the thought that with my dumb, goofy, cartoony games, I'm gonna make a lot of folks happy one day with all my little games. Another part of it is that I also just think it's fun to make games and find spiritually fulfilling.

JtheDuelist

Your Friendly Nieghborhood Stygian Zinogre
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I was never good with writing stories in literature class (I always scrapped by with a C average in literature every year back when I was in school- I'm a high school graduate now), but RPG Maker lets me make my stories so everyone can finally enjoy them.

RaynRayn

jojo brainrot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My motivation is definitely the effect other games have left on me. All of DSP's works (Wadanohara, Grey Garden, Mogeko Castle, Obsolete Dream, etc.) have really made an impact on me and inspired me to create my own works.

Azmor

Happy Hobby Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
VNM
Ahh, well. First things first: Nice to meet you!

That's a great question and I'll take my time to answer it with all my honesty.

So, I began my "career" as a hobby developer after I begged my parents to buy me that overpriced tool called RPG Maker 2003 back in 2005 as far as I remember. Boy I was 9 or 10 years old back then. I didn't really know what I was doing. Just clicking buttons and trying to make a Pokemon game with the standard fantasy resources. Which was terrible.

I began to draw in school and as I had few friends, being the introvert I was at that age, I had trouble to keep up with the class after the sixth grade. Every now and then, when the teacher asked me to participate I gave weird, long answers and mostly missed the topic.

In the age of fitfteen I hit a wall and I felt like I couldn't get better with my drawings & RPG Maker was long forgotten. So I sat down on my chair and wrote short stories about fantasy scenarios. I think I never finished one and they all had a somewhat cliché start similar to the game "Fable" I was playing 24/7.
If someone doesn't remember it: It's a game about a village boy who turns into a hero who saves the world. (Yes, hardcore cliché.)

The second time I tried game developing was with RPG Maker XP and later with VX. At that time I really got into it, trying to understand how to event, making cutscenes and even creating a demo. But I realized that my skills were not enough.
I really wanted to become a game developer and by the time I passed my 19th birthday, I felt panic & anxiety, as it felt like the whole world around me was changing and that I and my whishes were drowning in the sands of time.

After I graduated from school, I couldn't find a job for a year and spent the whole time gaming. Running away from the reality, that I couldn't become a game developer anymore, because my grades were too bad. I accepted a job that my older brother offered me, but soon as I joined the company, he left it right away. I was scared and tought I couldn't do it all alone and that I maybe picked the wrong job as I tried to follow the footsteps of my brother in my darkest hour.

There were bad and good times, but they all ultimately led to my maturity.

Currently I learn how to do 3D Art and Animation in Blender. I animate and draw stuff in Pixel and 2D. Sometimes I sit down to write short stories about my own fantasy world and I enjoy life as it is. Perhaps I'll be able to graduate and start a "real" career as a game developer.
But currently I'm doing what I can, every day. And just a few months ago I realized ... game developement is my passion. And I'm already into it.

So what's my motivation?

I gave up on fighting my inner dragon and demons - and somehow I won. I do not have a motivation in particular to reach a certain point or to finish a long time project. I just do what I love.

I just do.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
When I first started using the computer rpg makers my motivation was in part driven by a desire to have it become something I could do financially and driven by a love of rpgs. Over the years though, my motivations with rpg maker have changed and despite my games so far not really getting any attention I stick to that first and foremost I want to have fun with rpg maker because its something I enjoy and I enjoy being a part of its community.

Hollow 1977

Rpg MV Game Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I too enjoy being apart of this community. Everyone here is so helpful in sharing tips and some go above and beyond to help with things like complicated scripts and such.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
My motivation is pretty simple, have fun. I go weeks without doing anything game dev related as I'm having fun doing something else like playing a game that was just released.

Now, if i spend long hours and get frustrated that's when I quit and while most will say work thru it I say GOOGLE IT!! your questions has already been answered, but it's cool if you figure it out yourself when you come back which what I do 99% of the time.

I'm moving my RPG Kit that I was going to finish in Game Maker Studio 2 (still awesome by the way) to possibly defold which honestly has a lot going for it, 2d powerhouse, lua scripting, looks like there a shader editor of sorts, animation systems, etc. I will say the editor will take a lot of getting use to "don't dive into even the basic games like mario without learning the editor... it's not a dive into game development as GM or even Unity for example" Also the fact that it's 50% faster than anything Godot can pump out is awesome!! I can't compare speed to GM but can say games run 15-20% faster on the demo projects.

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'll boil down mine in one sentence: "I just want to make something out of my journey."

Not gonna aim high to be a superstar or something like that in RPG Maker communities anymore, not gonna aim high to make the best RPG Maker game no longer, not gonna test my luck in getting fame and attention in this field; I just want to get my things done. If you rarely see either me or my stuffs around, now you know why.

If you still wonder why I'm still around, it's simple: I stay in communities I find cool and supportive. I may help people out if they ask for it.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I used to have reason "To make my concept come to live" started from a project that inspired me and I wanted to do the same thing so that my game inspires someone, but it gradually changed into "Having fun with experiments".

Discovered that I could script, I wanted to try many things including making features left and right. Eventually I wanted to experience of making a various type of game, like how hard is to make shooting game, how hard is to reverse engineer a certain mechanic from a game. Tried many things like arena shooter game in RGSS3 that I never share to anyone here, or even tried to replicate Skyrim alchemy system.

After challenging myself of making game features, I challenged myself into making a proof of a concept from those features. I mean, those features are cool, but how am I going to balance those features in actual games? That's the fun part. I've created some random game concept just to test that although most of them never reach a playable stage, just having fun with databases and system.

Although, after a long experiment, I REALLY wanted to actually have a complete game, because completing a game is an experience on its own. Your theories of A, B, and C can be really paid off once you complete a game. And it really does. So the large proportion of developing a game for me is to make a proof of a concept from a certain feature I have in mind. I don't want to create a game with same features with different content. This is also the reason I often join General Discussion and Game Mechanic Design topics.

I don't mean to advertise this, but some of my proof of concept I have in mind that you can see, I already linked to my signature for you to see.

Adonael

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My motivation huh?

My obsession I guess you could call it, started in the fifth grade. My friends at the time where into drawing and making their own comics. Impressed I started doing the same. (I go back and read these often and laugh at just how terrible they are.)

This is when I discovered I really enjoyed creating characters and worlds. I ended up playing a lot of different RPGs at the time, from Diablo to Morrowind, Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy's etc. I really ended up falling in love with the fantasy setting.

Slowly over the years I worked on different aspects of a world I was creating over time, until my computer at the time crashed and killed off all of my work, but this restart and fresh outlook years down the road gave me some breathing room. So the whole thing changed to become more unique and different in flavor.

I want to share this with people, have them play and experience my stories and hopefully bring enjoyment to them and create a world they will love.

That is my motivation.

TicklishWasabi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've always loved to create, whether that's drawing, painting, playing the guitar, etc. I've never written my own story but was inspired to do so when I first laid my eyes upon Rpg Maker, on sale nonetheless. I was definitely influenced by games like Rogue Galaxy, and Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. Rpg maker provided me with the tools to combine all of this, My paintings, music, and love of video games. And the idea that maybe just one person will play my game motivates me beyond words. Whether they like it or not, because I know once the game is published, I will have poured my heart and soul into it.

Oh, and the idea that I might make a couple bucks to buy a candy bar or two certainly helps. :D

D.ray

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
An unyielding and never ending desire to create. It's the reason why I choose to be a creative person and work in the arts, Video games just happen to be a medium that combines many artistic avenues I love and enjoy, such as music, art, and writing. Along with that, a desire to create my own personal take on certain areas and create something people will enjoy.

I also suffer from a deadly condition in which abstaining from being creative will result in spontaneous combustion.

ObsidianTrance

Pensword, the Old Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
To tell stories, however that may flow and whatever medium it ends up in. I suppose games is an extension to which I can and find interesting to delve into as an artist and writer. It's bringing that writing, that character or world to life. Might be creator's vanity in that respect, as close as we can to creating something outside of children, but we are creative creatures. Geared into us to make something. Use our brains and hands to produce, so the question applies to everyone in the end.

Games have been with me near as long as drawing, so it became a conduit which I could see as the next step or a major one. You can be a one man/woman army or as a collective, yet having the chance to work with programs like RPGM made it more real. If you just want to have fun, be artist is enough. For me, the message in my story is important or convey something people can relate to and take away beyond the imagery and entertainment. If what we create doesn't speak in some form, it's not alive (so Frankensteinian XD), but it's true.

Schade

"Treasure hunter"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Since I was five years old I've always felt like there was a story in me to tell. I use to go to bed dreaming up the world and how magic would fit into the game. To this day I still have literal dreams about game mechanics and story ideas haha.

Symbol_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had a health scare not too long ago, where I thought something was seriously wrong with me. Ever since that taste of mortality I've really just wanted to do as much as I can before I hit the bucket. I guess up until then you don't really expect your life to end or anything in your twenties. Silly I know but I guess its just one of those things.

numituwi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My burning desire to make a game as a wee kid after playing multiple Hamtaro and Legend of Zelda games has yet to stop and until I fulfill that thirst it may never cease to be.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

just destroyed hours of work again. i don't know why I bother.
World Map for the inside of my main character's head. Every spot is an area that either occupies his thoughts or staples of everyone's "headspace"
How can I look up the components for a medieval bomb for my game without the FBI showing up at my door?
I don't think I can handle using the real SNES resolution of 512x448 because resizing absolutely every interface element I had on hand by painstaking trial & error/guess and check (is there any other way?) is KILLING me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvieOverwrite