Xenphir

Nature's Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you like using arrow keys or WASD for movement in a keyboard only game? If you use WASD for movement, where on the keyboard do you put controls for other aspects of your game?

Faye Valentine

The Mapgician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Currently using for my game WASD for movement and J, K for main commands (Accept and Cancel respectively). Other (unused) commands I mapped 'em to be Q, E, L and N.

Using RMVX Ace.

P.S: Arrows + Z and X I've never liked :(

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I prefer arrow keys for movement. I use WASD only when it's combined with mouse input.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In mv I prefer arrow keys. And since I'm right handed, as long as the rest of the controls are placed sensibly, I don't care if it's at jkloiu or qweasd.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If its a game completely keyboard controlled, I prefer arrow key movement.. I kinda like wasd only when its "left hand WASD, right hand Mouse" which is mostly for shooter games or hack and slash games. Plus maybe I got too used to playing RM games since XP times :)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Arrow keys! If your game only uses WASD, I just won't play it. I find it too difficult to use on my country's keyboard layout (AZERTY). WASD on my keyboard is the equivalent of QWERTY users having to use ZQSD.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Arrow keys. I find WASD awkward, and if they have to be combined with a mouse then it's impossible, as I use a left-handed mouse. Though given a choice between mouse and keyboard I go for keyboard every time.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes are u left handed person?

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I never like WASD setups (even where it's not used for movement). I can't comfortably keep fingers on all four WASD keys at once, meaning that I have to shift at least one finger up and down, and when that happens, I always lose track of where my fingers are on the keyboard and I end up hitting the wrong buttons to make my character do stuff. I hate it!

Where it's necessary to use four keys for movement plus at least four other keys for actions, I use the Arrow keys for movement (with no other buttons nearby, it's easy to keep my fingers in the right place), and I tend to use ASDF or ZXCV (in general I find it more comfortable to keep my fingers low on the keyboard), and I use Spacebar (which is nice and big) for the most crucial actions like Jump or Attack. If the game requires movement keys, action keys, AND a mouse, then I find the game to be completely unplayable unless I can hook up my gamepad and play using that.

However, when designing games, I try really hard to limit the number of buttons that will be needed. In timeblazer, for instance, all 28 action games can be played using only the Arrow keys and the Spacebar. (Combat adds one extra button, Shift, but it's turn-based so there's less need for controls to feel completely second-nature.) There are a few other functions like pausing the game or bringing up the instructions overlay during play that require other keys, but none are essential to normal play. The goal is to keep the player's focus entirely on the onscreen action, rather than losing their immersion by forcing them to think about what buttons they are hitting.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Arrow keys, but I prefer to use Enter/Esc rather than Z/X.

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm fine with both WASD and arrow key movement, but I think that I have a minor preference towards WASD - mostly because I've seen (and used) laptops with abysmally small arrow keys. I'd definitely not like to play anything with these:
images
On the other hand, I can understand why the general preference leans towards the other direction, given that QWERTY isn't the only layout available (and that there are many other valid reasons for not liking it). The best option in my opinion is thus to allow the player to configure the keys.

As for the secondary keys, I'm fine with whatever is logical. Enter, Esc, Spacebar etc. is quite a good solution because they are easy to recognize, but I can work with ZXC too since they are on the same row. Numpad, though? Ehh. Not all keyboards even have a numpad, so I'd avoid that one.

zacheatscrackers

Machinehead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Arrow keys and Z/X is my personal config. I'll only use WASD if the game has mouse support as well.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well in RM, controller support exists so I'm always going to use that over the keyboard, but if I had to choose, then I'd say arrow keys. Back when I did flash games, arrow key movement was usually supplemented with ZXCV for controls, but really any keys along the left side works well, even 12345. HOWEVER, if you're going to emphasize keyboard use, it's best to offer keyboard mapping so that people using keyboard layouts other than what you're basing your controls around can still play your game sensibly.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Gamepad, assuming this is a typical RM game

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have been enjoying a game on my iPhone, called Wonderbox. It is just a little game where you create adventures, share them, whilst also being able to play others. It's a bit zelda-esque. I have started some youtube for those, gonna start with RPG maker things soon as well. So if you wish to see, do check it out :)
SF_People3_3 added!
index.php

ScreenShot_1_3_2022_1_32_12.png
I feel QSprite for MV is underrated. I basically am able to use my chibi sideview battlers I drew on the maps and have all the motions available. this'll help a lot with cutscenes.
I've figured out how to reasonably tall-ify chibi sprites on my editor. I like that making tall sprites gives me control on expressing how tall characters seem on the field relative to each other as well as better differentiate adult sprites from child sprites.
doing some wacky experimental stuff in MV right now :kaoluv: I cannot wait to drop what I've been working on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KoromoAmae