What languages do you know or wish to learn?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Kvothe, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Kvothe

Kvothe The Bloodness Veteran

First Language:
    Brazil
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Languages for me it's always been a good subject to speak about. I love it. Specially after read the biography about mr. Tolkien. So, I'm pretty curious about everyone here: what laguages do you know already? And... are you seeking to learn some new laguage?

Me:
    I'm a portuguese-brazillian native, so I know portuguese.
    I guess that I have a upper-intermediare english, because I can read perfectly without any problem, listen up most of things and understand, write and talk (well, this two parts I need to practice more)

Learning:
    I'm learning French because I really love this languages, however I not know why xD; and Latin, because I really like the idea of learning an ancient language.

I'll seek to learn Italian as well, because I have their bloodline and Japanese (to read/watch manga/anime on original version).

SpaceBot likes this.
  2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Language is my least fave subject to learn unless it's a programming language.

I'm a native Javanese-Indonesian. That said, I know Indonesian well, but our local language (Javanese) itself is harder than anything I know so far even though I'm the native.

I know English by "accident". It happened because of video games, and after started to communicate with foreigner around 6 years ago. That said, I'm somewhat mediocre. I can read well, and also listen to some commonly used words. But still can't speak irl, because there's no one here that talk English.

Other than that, I know a little bit Arabic and Japanese thanks to constant exposure to anime. While I do love to know Japanese more. It's not the subject I'm focusing to know. If I happened to learn some new words, good. If not, it's fine. Honestly, I would rather learn English more. Especially constructing sentences, grammar, and learning to use new phrases so I can write/talk not only in technical language (like in this forum) but also a daily conversation or writing a story.

Kvothe, SpaceBot and Ryisunique like this.
  3. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Very fluent in English and Spanish thanks to family. Would love to learn Swedish as it sounds like a musical version of German to me.

Kvothe, Henryetha and SpaceBot like this.
  4. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My main languages are English and French (at university speaking level, studying law). I also speak cantonese and vietnamese due to having half my family being cantonese/vietnamese (I'm half asian half white), but those are only at household conversation level, so no where near my English and my french lol. I can also speak understand Japanese due to a lot of anime, and my uncle who lived in Japan for 20 years helped me learned by speaking japanese with me instead of vietnamese. So I'm comfortable speaking japanese when I go to Japan.

So for now, I know:
    - French and English very well.
    - Cantonese, Vietnamese, and Japanese somewhat alright.

I wished perhaps I knew spanish, german and Italian. I'm in love with European culture and music, so I want to understand what the singers say in italian operas lol.

Kvothe and SpaceBot like this.
  5. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Fluent: English
    Partially Know (as in a few words/phrases): Spanish, Japanese, Old Norse
    Wish to Know (more of): Old Norse

Kvothe, MushroomCake28 and SpaceBot like this.
  6. SpaceBot

SpaceBot Demon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmmm my first language is Italian, but I'm terrible at speaking it now, I understand it a lot better than I can speak it. Fluent in English lol. I know a really small amount of ASL. In 5th grade I could speak french pretty well due to my awesome teacher but lost it when I had no one to talk to in French.
    I love the Korean language and wish to become fluent in it, so I'm working on learning that now.

Kvothe and MushroomCake28 like this.
  7. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Tagalog and English.. I hope to learn Japanese so that I can watch anime even without subs and understand it, and/or play original jap version of games.

8. Crusixblade

Crusixblade Subject to Redaction at Random Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I speak English natively...and I'm still trying to learn how to not sound dumb when talking.

9. Henryetha

Henryetha Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    My native language is German.
    I'm quite fluent in English and Spanish, too.

Spanish, as I married 10 years ago my colombian husband :)

I am very interested in learning more languages, but fail to decide for one.

Italian, Tagalog, br Portuguese, Finnish, just to name a few..

10. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    C++. It's a crazy hard language, vut would love to master it.

11. Taurn

Taurn Warper Member

First Language:
    spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My native language is Spanish, now I am actively studying English, I live and work in London, I will go to college and for this I need to learn English in modern language. This service helps me in my training <---SNIP---> I hope over time, I will do without additional help, but now it is an indispensable tool for me.

12. Kvothe

Kvothe The Bloodness Veteran

First Language:
    Brazil
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @TheoAllen : wow, I never have heard before this language name 'Javanase' (hey, you should learn Java xD hauhauhauha). If you want to bro, you can try to speak with each other in Discord by once xD.

@Darth Equus : "fluent in English and Spanish" then you should sing this song here xD:

@MushroomCake28 : Wow, you three languages that I want to know more (english, french and Japanase). Beautiful your "story", it's a bless for you that you have such uncle. In my family there is one my uncle that is a English's teacher.

@JtheDuelist : Old Norse!! I love it, I mean, after Latin, I'll try to learn it. Mostly because of the Runes.

@SpaceBot : Wow interesting this part of "forgeting" the Italian language... Korean it's interesting. Maybe one day I'll try just to read some Wuxia Novel in original

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko : Tagalog, I'll search for it... never heard before ¬¬

@Crusixblade : wow, that it's funny to read at the same time interesting, because sometimes we that are not fluent or native in English, try to sounds good as a native...

@Henryetha : WoW, if someday you wish some help with Portuguese, I'll be happy to help you, just contact me :) This video may help you :

@Poryg : C++ sucks man xD but it's not worst than this: Malbolge

@Taurn : This website seems that it's off... I'll try to search more about this kind of service.

Henryetha and MushroomCake28 like this.
  13. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Taurn I've removed the link you posted, as it's a paid service that has nothing to do with game dev or really this thread.

14. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well I'm Dutch so I speak Dutch :D and I also speak English (duh)

Other then that I do not really speak a lot of languages but I can understand a few of them when spoken to me to a degree that I know what's going on. These include : German, Spanish, Farsi, Gaelic, South African and Arabic. But I can't really respond in any of them (don't ask haha).

I would love to be able to speak Japanese but I do not have a nack for learning languages so that will remain a dream :)

15. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I'm a native french speaker, also pretty good in english. I learned a fair bit of spanish in high school, I could actually have a conversation in it but I haven't really practiced it since and it's super rusty. I mean, I still have the syntax, pronunciation and verb tenses (it is rather closely related to french after all) but most of the vocabulary eludes me.

A language I'd like to learn eventually is Breton. I have Breton origins and am really interested in the culture and the myths but nobody in my family speaks the language. I tried looking into it some at some point but being a celtic language it is worlds apart from the romance and germanic languages I already know. Also it's basically totally useless to me so I'd have to be super motivated to pull it off. Haven't gotten to it just yet...

16. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @LaFlibuste Bretons is more akin to Welsh and Cornish in language then anything else. As with Gaelic it's difficult to grasp for sure if you aren't born into that culture but the similarities end there. I could probably look up some Breton Myths though if you'd like and see if I can dig up something interesting there from my books but no promises :)

17. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I have started recently with russian.
    If this will go well, I probably will try to learn more languages, like japanese, or welsh.

18. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    @Finnuval Well don't make extend research for it on my account but if you find anything I'm always curious :) I know of a few, of course, like Dahud and the city of Ys which I started making a game around some time ago, and I know of a few critters and creatures, like the Ankou, korrigans, morgans or laundresses, but really Breton myths and traditional culture are much less documented then say Irish of Scottish ones. Being on the continent I think they were much more assimilated by the neighbouring french, and also they were super heavily christianized...

Finnuval likes this.
  19. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @LaFlibuste True, they are a hard research subject. I won't try too hard but I might find something in my study books you never know :) I'll give it a quick look and see if I can find something and let you know if I do.
    Seeing as you did some searching yourself I take it you already know about : Bugul Noz, Annard Noz, Morgan and Ys to? (these are relatively easy to find)

20. joombo

joombo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    English is my second language, my native is Spanish. So I vote for English. I study abroad and it's really hard to cope woth all these writings in the foreign language. Hope with the time it'll get better.