What languages do you know or wish to learn?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Kvothe, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    As a student, does your budget allow for real chicken and beef, or need to rely on Synthetic Protein Alimenticious Meat?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2019
  2. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I can still read french though i no longer speak it. I know japanese but still can't pass that accursed exam to teach at this art college. I also know Sign due to having deaf cousins.
    I know some Russian due to having Russian friends and I'm lost when it comes to Spanish. My sister knows 13 languages (German russian italian Greek Portuguese, Spanish Swedish Norwegian Romanian Korean Danish Hebrew & asl).
    I want to learn Chinese but I'm tone deaf AF and Korean so i can follow my dramas

Dreadshadow likes this.
  3. matulda

matulda Villager Member

First Language:
    swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    lol, I am swedish, live in Netherlands so know (a bit of) dutch and english and I really would like to learn spanish or portugise, ot, I need to change my avatar ;)

kaukusaki likes this.
  4. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Major respect for her knowledge of that many languages. Impressive.

kaukusaki likes this.
  5. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As Greek I know how to speak Demotic Greek. Demotic is the oversimplified modern speech and writing. I also can read Katharevousa Greek that is kinda older and dead really, but some inscriptions and books exist on this polytonic old variation. I also studied the Ancient Greek language a long time ago. Still makes my life hard to understand sometimes, but I find it fascinating to master it someday.
    Tip: Ancient Greek had not much in common with its derivative Demotic. The majority of Greek people can't even understand Ancient Greek.

As for other languages, well, I guess that Spanish, Japanese are in my To-learn-before-I-die list and English is my primary interest on mastering it to a degree I can call myself fluent enough. Because I am not, in my opinion.

kaukusaki likes this.
  6. mariopepper

mariopepper Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My native language is Ukrainian, a also know Russian. My aim - to learn English as well as possible

kaukusaki likes this.
  7. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    English fluent (all my life in USA, father was English teacher over 30 years), Spanish conversational (1 year middle school + 3 years high school), German elementary (3 years summer school), BASIC (mostly forgotten), Pascal (1 year high school, was intermediate), Java (self-taught, was intermediate), Math (M. S. degree, hence my handle, also taught at middle, high school, and college levels), C# (enough to do cool things in Unity), JavaScript (picking up some cool Tips & Tricks for RMMV from Master Yanfly's YouTube videos)

kaukusaki likes this.
  8. S.Court

S.Court Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I'm from Colombia, so Spanish is my native language, and I have learned English at the point of having a more than reasonable enough fluency level (at the point that this English level got me a job, yay!) Right now I'm learning Italian, and ohh boy, I have a good amount of languages I want to learn (Romanian, Greek, Dutch, French, Portuguese and some others) Yeah, I have a discovered passion for languages lol.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    kaukusaki likes this.
  9. Miss Nile

Miss Nile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Egyptian Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My native is Arabic and I can speak English to a point I would call fluent. I used to know basic French but I might have forgotten it by now due to not using it. I really wish I can find time to pick up French once more, and more importantly, I would love to learn German at some point. XD

kaukusaki likes this.
  10. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I only learned a couple of words or phrases while in the USMC, but Arabic was very interesting and actually was not that hard to learn. Reading it on the other hand was impossible.

11. HayateKung

HayateKung Villager Member

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    English is probably the best choice as it opens so many doors in terms of friendship, traveling and working. Other than that, I would say that Chinese or Spanish also have a large following, but Chinese is quite hard as the word carries both meaning and pronunciation, unlike English where alphabets handle the pronunciation.

12. SepulcherGeist

SepulcherGeist Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know only English, and that's hard enough! I'm a writer by profession, and every day I'm still trying to master it. I often want to learn another language but my unrelenting insistence on mastery of my native tongue leaves others in the dust. Obviously I wish I knew Japanese for a few reasons. We're all here because of games like RPG Maker. But not just because of their game and media development: I wish I knew it because it'd be among the hardest for me to learn. Virtually no commonality with English.

But before that, I think I'd want to learn German. I use a lot of German words and fantasy themes in my novels, and I just like the way the language sounds.

13. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Italian. I know several dialects but mine is from Naples (Southern Italy);
    English. I can speak it fluently;
    Latin. I can understand it very well due to it being ancient italian;
    Spanish. I can understand it decently due to many similarities with Italian;
    French. I know only several basic words.

I wanted to learn Japanese too but...NO TIME...

S.Court and kaukusaki like this.
  14. Arisa

Arisa probably dead Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    uHH I can speak English and for the most part Spanish, and I can also speak Korean but I'm still a little slow with it lmao

15. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I want to learn Japanese as a second language eventually, mostly for translating purposes. I need to find quality affordable resource first though.

16. MachineElf

MachineElf Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I speak English as a first language and can carry a conversation in Mandarin, but I'm nowhere near fluent.

17. Darkanine

Darkanine ...In my thoughts and in my dreams... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I speak native English (primarily Southern American English and GenAm). Wish to eventually learn a few languages including Cherokee, Japanese, Finnish, Inuktitut, Pirahã, Kʼicheʼ, Cusco Quechua, Ainu and Kuuk Thaayorre to some level, but obviously not fluently (that be basically impossible!). Japanese, Inuktitut and K'iche' or Quechua are my highest priorities.

Used to know a bit of Esperanto but I forgot most of it. Part of me wants to learn Ithkuil for novelty value, but it seems a bit to much for no real pay off.

18. tobimura.tobi

tobimura.tobi Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello there!
    Umm.. I'm native Indonesian and also can speak Javanese :)
    I'm really sorry for my English, cause I'm not getting used to speak or write in that :"( but someday I'll speak it fluently 3:((

Ah anyway, I'd like to learn any foreign languages such as Arabic and Japanese. So, if anyone want to learn and speak together please join me hehe

19. MagiCat

MagiCat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Native English speaker. I used to be fluent in Spanish and I’m mediocre at German, Japanese, and American Sign Language. I just end up not having anyone to practice with. Makes it difficult to keep it all in my head.