What lisence is required for commercial games(MV)?

RyanYe

RPG Game Lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want to publish my game as commercial project.
Since this is my first time to do this, i don't want to be success but just want to stay out of trouble, so i want to ask questions in advance

1,What lisence is required for commercial games? RPGMAKER itself? font? artwork? plugins? ALL of above?
2,Should I upload lisence files or send email as attachments to the platform BEFORE i publish my game? BEFORE or AFTER? I don't want to be considered as theft.
3,what is MIT lisence and why plugins has something to do with MIT university? I don't undertand totally.
4,When can i publish my commercial game on RPGMAKERWEB.com? and how many profit will it draw from my total profit?(like 30% for apple store)
5,itch.io or steam, which is better if i want to make a kick start?
6,how can i stop the player from editing the js/data files or re-distibute my game somewhere else? I mean something like "code obfuscate" or "files package" or what?
7,should i ask degica/BFG to publish games or all by myself if i don't have a site?(PC game, not mobile)
8,My game project contains several paid js plugins, how can i stop the stealing when publish?
9,If my game has only one language(english), could it become available to download for all countries?

thx for any replies!

this is my game demo videclip from dropbox(FYI)

Aerianr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) No license required. As long as you own MV, you can sell games made with it. That covers font/artwork, everything.
2) You're good, don't worry.
3) MIT license basically means you can use something freely.
4) This one I can't help with, sorry! Hopefully someone else will come along that knows more on that. That said, you can publish it elsewhere too.
5) Can't answer this one either.
6) MV offers an encryption option when compiling your game. Or this may help you.
7) Can't answer this one either.
8) If you encrypt your game that won't be a problem.
9) I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you publish your game on Steam/Itch/whatever, anyone can download it. It's up to them if they want to buy an English language only game.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) the EULA for all RPG-Makers is the commercial licence for games made with its resources. If you add any other resources, you need the equivalent licence for the resources added, and that depends on what you add.
2) depends on where you publish
3) MIT is a name for a licence. Each licence can have different rules, and you need a name to differ between them - like open source licence or MIT licence or whatever
4) you usually can't - RMW rarely publishes games, and they require you to pass quality control before they are even interested in looking at your game.
5) neither have anything to do with kickstart, and steam requires you to pay for getting publisher access before they look at your game

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As for 8) doesn't the built in encryption just protect audio files and images?
Just resently there was a tool published to protect plugins in this thread.

RyanYe

RPG Game Lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) No license required.
hi there, thank you!
you and andar answered this question very differently, if i publish my game to steam, will the steam team reply me: hey hey you cannot publish because you don't have the lisence for the artwork/font/etc?

Aerianr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hi there, thank you!
you and andar answered this question very differently, if i publish my game to steam, will the steam team reply me: hey hey you cannot publish because you don't have the lisence for the artwork/font/etc?
What Andar means is that if you use ONLY what came with RPGMaker, like the default sprites, music, backgrounds, etc., you're good to go. But if you use plugins from other authors, or sprites, music, backgrounds, etc, made by other people, you will need to check what the creator's rules are.

A lot of plugin developers, for example, will allow you to use their plugins for free whether it's a commercial (for profit) or free game. Others require that you pay them to use their plugins in your commercial game.

So you need to find the usage rules for every plugin/asset you used in your game that is not a default part of RPGMaker.

At the very least people will often request that you credit them in the game.

If you downloaded a font from somewhere online, you'd need to check the usage rules on that too.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
to project your plugins (being paid), you can either use this cooktool to make
it way harder or this tool to make it impossible to steal.

RyanYe

RPG Game Lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What Andar means is that if you use ONLY what came with RPGMaker, like the default sprites, music, backgrounds, etc., you're good to go. But if you use plugins from other authors, or sprites, music, backgrounds, etc, made by other people, you will need to check what the creator's rules are.

A lot of plugin developers, for example, will allow you to use their plugins for free whether it's a commercial (for profit) or free game. Others require that you pay them to use their plugins in your commercial game.

So you need to find the usage rules for every plugin/asset you used in your game that is not a default part of RPGMaker.

At the very least people will often request that you credit them in the game.

If you downloaded a font from somewhere online, you'd need to check the usage rules on that too.

ok, do you have a good place to test whether a BGM is free to use? like, how to google a music?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where did you get it from? The artist would have terms stating whether it can be used.

If you downloaded it from the forum, each artist has their own terms.
If you purchased it from the store, check to see if it says "commercial allowed" on the store page.
If you just downloaded it from "somewhere" on the internet, then you can definitely NOT use it, for a commercial game OR a free game, unless there is explicit text saying that you can. Downloading resources from "Google" is a surefire way to have stuff in your game that you shouldn't have. Even "resource" sites that contain lots of resources are places to be wary of, because often the person uploading the resources is not the creator and they are doing it without the creator's permission.

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey, I've been on Itch.io for my second year and I'm starting to do okay. My advice if you want to start well is to make sure your game is in good condition, and try to be open and honest about your project and where you want to take it. I was all over the place to be honest, because I worked to keep a roof over my head in real life, so I could only do what I could with the spare few hours I had, and it was a disaster learning in my spare time. After losing my job last year I've gone in and worked hard with my Itch page.

Don't do it alone, try to find some people who are doing well, and see if they can help you out. Your game needs to be at a certain level though, otherwise it will crash and burn. I've been there a heck of allot, don't learn that lesson the hard way.

Also, for number 6, I would put some graphics in your game that link to your webpage, or links online. I've started doing this, it's built in to the code of the game to secure it. That would be a good start. But, unless your game is hitting massive numbers, it's unlikely someone will steal it.

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ok, do you have a good place to test whether a BGM is free to use? like, how to google a music?
You asking this question is a little troubling - you need to know where you got every resource you've put into your game. If you didn't download it from someplace posted by the author with their explicit permission to use it, or purchase it such that you have a receipt with that license, it shouldn't be in anything you plan to distribute. That's basic copyright.

CA525

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, maybe I should make my own thread for this, but I'm curious, does the license to use MV resources if you own MV apply to things other than games? Like say I made a sprite with the character creator or a map with the resources and wanted to include them in a book or website (with credit), would that still be legal?

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, maybe I should make my own thread for this, but I'm curious, does the license to use MV resources if you own MV apply to things other than games? Like say I made a sprite with the character creator or a map with the resources and wanted to include them in a book or website (with credit), would that still be legal?
They only license it for with in rpgmaker games - so you can use them in MZ or XP or whatever, but not unity or stuff unrelated to your rpgmaker game.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2dfloor.png
What a fun tileset I've got here so far!
Minecraft Tiles, Maid Day, Custom Menu, Retry at GameOver, Save in Appdata | RPG Maker News #36

side view special bust.png
Reworking the art for the 'special busts' in important game dialogue. Potentially replacing the more 'dead-on' look of the original:
original.png
Me: Imma work on my game! Let's get some progress done
Me, five minutes later smoking a cigarette: *screams into the void*
Just got back from work... I got to recommend a dish I liked to a group of senior ladies, and they said they'd order it for dessert! What was it? CHURROS! It's one of my favorite desserts at my workplace.
What's your favorite dessert? I'll eat any pastry with cinnamon and sugar, but especially churros. And then there's chocolate... omg, so good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fmoviesfco7