The Mighty Palm

Resident Palm Tree
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
As a content creator, I feel like I wanna help out as many people as possible. So I'm doing this little poll for reference.

Answer all the makers you use. You can do more than one vote if you have multiple.
Talk about your favorite, why you prefer it over the others. What do you like about it? What do you wish was different?
And hopefully more content creators will see this too and think "I didn't know x had an audience, maybe I'll make something for that"

So if you wanna see more stuff for your engine of choice, make like Tom Hanks and cast away.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
There is IG Maker as well; although its not very popular.

I voted for MV and Ace. I've used Ace the most and while I feel like generally I'm moving past it and going to MV now more full time I wouldn't ever discredit the idea I'd never use it again.

To be honest though, I have several of the other makers that I've yet to touch; 2k3, XP, IG Maker and I can't recall at the moment if I have vx or not; I know off the top of my head I don't have 2k though and I don't have Visual novel maker, although its one I'm interested in. Out of those admittedly I'm curious to experiment with 2k3 a bit for fun sometime and feel like I should get some use out of IG maker and at least make something with it considering I bought it during a sale with the intention of using it.

The Mighty Palm

Resident Palm Tree
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Since IG Maker has no support, and is essentially discontinued, I'm not including it.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Actually, there are already a few topics with the same question...

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awwh, poor IG Maker. :( Does it still have a sub-forum on here? I've used most of them at some point, but I mostly use MV now.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ace and MV. Although I have a slight preference for MV. And it has been some time since I've used any engines that use Ruby over Javascript.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I talked about my preference in other thread, however as a fellow content creator, I've seen people asking more for MV which is kinda discouraging to create something for VXAce. So I thought it a lot for myself if I do want to create a content for people, or just to play around with myself, however I choose the latter. Talk about my need, I don't need MV. The concept I'm making can be done in VXA, and I've already build the engine for myself pretty well. Building that in MV? nah...

Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
XP still. Though I have some smaller side projects in MV as well.

Btw Palm, it's from a couple of years ago, but maybe these polls shed some light as well: which RTP and which style. Even though it's from two/three year ago, I don't think that much has changed.

Last edited:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
XP, VX (albeit not really anymore, I just got it due to some previous license needs), VX Ace, and MV.

Mostly I use Ace

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
VX, VX Ace and MV
95% of the time I use VX because my main project is being made with it. The other versions were used for several occasions like last year's IGMC.

Hard to tell which one is my favorite, though.

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I voted VXAce, and 2k/3. I mostly use VXAce and occasionally work with MV but I've got a real soft spot for 2k/3, especially 2k since it was the first engine I worked with and I still find that it does a phenomenal job of forcing you to be creative with how you implement custom features.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Once again, this is game development related, so moving to General Discussion.

D.L. Yomegami

Sanely Insane
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I use MV almost exclusively. It was the first Maker I picked up (going off the probably-flawed reasoning of "It's the most recent one; surely it'll be the best!"), and it's what I'm used to now.

I've thought about doing something with VX Ace beyond just using its default database as a reference, as it's been around for longer, still has quite a bit of support, and might work better with less powerful machines/certain graphics cards (and also because I like its RTP better than MV's) but ultimately I don't want to give up a convenient plugin manager and a built-in sideview system. I'd also like to take a crack at making something in 2003 at some point; despite the complete lack of scripting, the default ATB and a lot of event commands/general things that just aren't in MV for some reason (like the ability to have an enemy attack set a switch without the need of a comment event) are big draws.

atoms

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
VX, VX Ace and MV
Haha, we voted for the same thing!

Well I voted those three because they're the ones I've enjoyed using the most. :)

DarlesLSF

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I started using 2k, but now Im using 2k3. Maybe in future I will test Xp or MV.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think majority of rpg maker users use MV. I think second is rpg maker vx ace. The main reasons why people prefer MV are recently rpg maker officials make continuous update it, sometimes Stream has a discount for Rpg maker MV and other RPG makers too, and for some reason, people like something that say new on it.
I think you should make your art for MV because of people just resize into smaller without losing the resolutions.

You can see my bias mile away because I use MV always the time and the users in the future probably pick first.

Thank you for your hard work, genousity, and considerate which shares some of your artworks with this community.

Last edited:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kupotepo You are incorrect to think that one can resize into smaller without problems.
I would also hesitate to say that it is a clear majority using MV. True, there is a lot more activity in the MV forum, but that's in part because there are a lot of new MV users. Maybe experienced Ace users don't need to post so frequently.
I think in surveys like this, it is better to stick to answering the question i.e. what are you using, rather than trying to second guess everyone else.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes, could you explain more in details about what are problems with resize into smaller size? That would educate and helpful for me.
Sorry, speculating or gussing on the survey.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Same, I don't get resizing into smaller size would be problem. The problem is the opposite if you want to resize it into a bigger size. People tend to make a HD asset then resize into their appropriate media than the opposite.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To discuss in detail the problems of resizing down would be to derail this thread, so not appropriate here. But in brief, you would have to rescale by 66.66666% - pixel details cannot be carried over in a 3:2 ratio, you'd get a cleaner image if it was 2:1, but then it would be the wrong size. Example in the spoiler, using a sprite by hiddenone. On the left is the original 48x48 sprite, on the right, converted to 32x32. I would not accept that quality in my games.
MV to Ace.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Why is it so hard to accept existential stoicism? To insist stoics must be deterministic is like insisting God couldnt create evolving animals. Drop the dogmas and concider the compatible mechanics
I just had a duel at Duel Links, and started right away with a fusion monster... felt like an actual yugioh main character :3
Now listen closely... Here's a little lesson in trickery, This is going down in history...
So the four of my friends are singing a song and I'm like... ohoho I don't know this song. Better act like I do!
A boss that spams confuse, blind, silence, oil and slow on all party members? Good idea FF12 *headdesk*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedReaper204