What makes a good Class system?

derge12

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
finnish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What do you think makes a good job system? Lots of mechanically different classes? Learnable/equipped skills?

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Classes/jobs that:
Make sense - have a place in the world and do not feel bloated.
Have a natural progression and flow to them and are actually impactfully different beyond the name.

A system that Lets me actually chose and never makes me regret that choice but still Lets me try out other choices of i so Desire.

A good example - tho totally different game - is Monster Hunter. It ticks pretty much all the boxes i Just mentioned.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me, my answer is pretty much the same as any "what makes a good blah system?" question: choices.

That can be choices with a skill tree, where you have mutually exclusive skills you're choosing from as you level up.

Could be a branching class progression, where at level X and Y you choose which secondary and tertiary classes you're going to evolve into.

Or it could be a job system, where you're choosing which combination of classes you're going to equip.

Just so long as the choices feel interesting and equally useful, it's good.

orochi2k

The Mad King of Neolithic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
:kaojoy: I prefer a classless system.
After all, nobody can stop you from being an artist-programmer-designer-producer in real life.
I just don't like limitations based on classes.
Thus, even kittens in my game can pick up guns.

AfroKat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Meaningful choices between classes. It's fine to have the classic: oh this is the white mage/black mage/warrior.

But if the next class is warrior, but stronger, then your class sucks. If it's warrior, but using elements and less power then it's better.

Basically there should always be a reason to use the class over another. Bravely Default 2 failed at this because magic amplifier were missing, and there was no reason to use any physical class when you have Godspeed Strike super early and it's stronger then every other physical skill.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There isn't just one answer to this question. Not a fan of having classes unless they fill some roll or niche. They shouldn't feel samey.

For the game I plan on making, all of the classes are going to have strong mechanical differences. It's modeled mostly after Dungeons and Dragons so Fighters are going have extra feats as their special ability. Wizards can learn most of the spells but have to memorize their spells for the day. Sorcerers will have a chosen list of spells but can cast them freely. Rangers and Paladins will have some special abilities with a small spell list. Rogues will specialize in skills which I call Talents because the term Skills is already taken in the RPG Maker universe.

I don't think these mechanical differences are required but it's different than most RPG Maker games and requires me to do a lot of custom coding so I think it'll be a unique draw to my game when I actually get around to making it.

watermark

Waiting for that RM vibe to come back.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The devs for the upcoming Diablo 4 mentioned that they try to make each class a unique playing experience. So eventhough there's not a lot of classes, each plays so differently it's like playing several different games. This is advice that's been given by other pros over the years as well.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
This is the End of the Endurance,everyone are celebrating the end of their Endurance

I just wondering what Menu for Tomorrow
Two years into developing my game and I just scrolled through the BaseResource Pack that comes with MV for the first time xD I never knew how much awesome stuff was in there. Also so many names I know from the forum, like Shaz & Archeia ... and that's not the only resource pack I found in the depth of my hard drive :0 Right now I'm both confused and hyped about all the stuff I own.
Decided to start watching Naruto; and not only is it a genuinely good series, but it's also very inspiring.
I just wish Funimation got its act together and fix the missing dubbed episodes.
Decided to work on my game a little bit, made this Motel looking building. I am still on temporary hiatus though as getting Therapy is more difficult than I thought.
Every game that has an option to choose to turn on the subtitle at the first time setup deserves an award.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sslushie