What makes a well-executed DRM

Matombo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
once i read an article about software publishing in sweet ol' russia, where no policeman bet's an eye on software priacy aka burned software cd's can be sold on the street, like 5$ Photoshop, 3$ Watch Dogs.

What the Publisher do is to completly scretch the marketing (that will do the internet for them), scretch the full collored DVD Boxes and handbooks so the only production kost they have (besides the development) is the cd itself and like this they can push down the price for a new blockbustergame from 60$ to 20$ and can still make profit, because: Even some Russian Pirates (no racism intended) are willing to pay 20$ for knowing that this version will work and will get updates.

tl;dr the cheaper the software the less the piracy

(and that also may the reson why indie games max 20$ woth also work without drm, wheras the big companis with their 60$-70$ software lossing their minds)

Shion Kreth

White Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It seems like your statements actually battle each other since if I never got a free-copy of a game why will there be no need for me to buy the game? Since I never a free copy, I will need to buy the game for me to play it
I thought I made it clear that a friend was showing it to you; that does not require pirating full version software to happen. They could be showing it to you in person or the more likely scenario they simply send you (or direct you to get) the demo. (back in my day you installed it off their cd, hahaha)

StanManX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well-executed DRM allows me to be lazier than a DRM-free option. This is why I love Steam -- I give it money, and it gives me a list of games to download. No searching for discs, no logging into a website to download a downloader, just a magical box of fun.

Laziness aside, I just like being able to log into something and make it start downloading. Beats having to back everything up.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I agree with StanManX.  Technically, Steam is DRM, but it works transparently for me, and also doubles as a cloud-based backup for all of my games.  So it offers a nice extra besides just protecting the software.  

So all I see is "I login to Steam and play my game."  And if I need to go offline, there is an explicit Offline Mode to do precisely that.    And I don't need to keep boxes of CDs, lists of activation codes and the likes, which to me is an excellent trade-off.  

And, since it is an active distribution medium, I don't see the Steam servers going away anytime soon, which I'm sure has happened with quite a few other server-based DRM mechanisms.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
I thought I made it clear that a friend was showing it to you
From what I read, what you said was Who've never gotten a free copy from a friend

here's your statement, there is clearly the word "never" in there

People who are dead set against drm are very honest people(or very self-interested pirates) who've never gotten a copy of a drm-free game from a friend
so since my friend didn't give me a copy of it, I'd go buy that game myself, won't I?

I do hate using Steam btw... I guess it's just simply not my kind of thing... I do still prefer buying games outside of steam (the only reason why I made a steam account was for DotA 2 which was free anyways)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Last edited by a moderator:

poorrabbit

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Steam's DRM is the ONLY DRM I've seen that actually works in favor of the user.

So long as I'm logged in to my Steam account, I can install and play almost(*) every game
I own on any computer. I can even share them with my family when I'm not logged in.

If Steam ever goes away, I'm screwed.

Traditional DRM never does its job. Ever. It not only prevents legitimate users from using the software (because a small percentage of users will have licensing/activation isues.), it can also have a hand in destroying your software.

It *never* prevents copyright infringement. Ever. Zero day cracks exist for nearly every game.Further, those that infringe on copyright generally do not buy games. And don't give me the "demo" argument. In the days of day one reviews and let's play videos, anyone who is properly interested in a game can find out if it is worth buying without resorting to a visit to the Pirate Bay.

Let me tell you a story about Titan Quest. Titan Quest is one of, if not the best "Diablo Clone" ever made. Seriously. It is still good. Seriously. Go buy it. But, Iron Lore went out of business. Why? DRM. As I said, those who pirate, generally, do not buy. But they do talk. They talk a lot. Comes with feeling entitled, I guess. Titan Quest was pirated like nobody's business before it even came out.  Unfortunately, the crack for Titan Quest caused massive instability. So, basically, the cracked version crashed all the time. It was pretty much unplayable. But none of the people playing the cracked version knew this. They didn't know that the version they were playing was different than the legit version...or at least...more stable. So, word got out that it was an unstable unplayable mess...and this happened during the oh so important release window where most sales happen.

Titan Quest sales tanked.

They managed to come out with an expansion, but Iron Lore never recovered. The producers of Titan Quest (well some of them) are currently working on a kickstarted game called Grim Dawn. Their FAQ says it will be DRM free. I wonder why.

*(There are a few (so called) "AAA" titles that have additional DRM, and it always gets in the way.)

Zoltor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There is no such thing as a well executed DRM system, period.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Fekken kill me. I unknowingly swapped out two important events's codes and saved the game to test it. I'm just doing this for fun and the fun has now been replaced with excruciating torture.
Is this how game developers feel all the time?

EDIT:
WAIT HOLY S***
MY LAST POST ASKING FOR HELP ON AN EVENT ACTUALLY SAVED IT
OH MY GOD
Coffee + Silk Coconut Milk + Splenda Zero = Not ..... awful :/ .
I was making a cutscene where Hero's dad got killed by the dragon but when he lose its say game over and send you to the tittle screen. How can remove game over for that cutscene
My new RPG Maker music pack, Emotional: Redemption, is now in progress and will be coming to RPG Maker soon. It is an album that focuses on emotional themes including the darker forms of sorrow and despair. Below is a demo of a composition from the album.

Please watch out for your hands when handling chests! XD Did this a few days ago, it was fun to animate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zookx1