What makes good dialog?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Kuro, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Lord Kuro

Lord Kuro Villager Member

What makes for good dialog in an RPG Maker game? It seems like one of those things where you know it when you see it, but there isn't much detail on the nuts and bolts of it. What are some examples of what would be considered good dialog?

2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't usually focus on reading the dialogue, usually when it's too long explaining stuff, or when the character is just too bland and not relatable, I get bored, and want to get to the gameplay / battle as soon as possible.

But, without a context of what kind dialogue it is, if the dialogue has a flavor like a certain character has distinct personality (not a plain formal character, maybe, this is a personal interest though), I would like it. This can be supported by a "body language" like a character on map would do stuff like jumping, show balloon icon, or changing faceset if you use one. These kind of dynamic scene would make me want to read the dialogue, as if I'm watching a show

3. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
  4. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me, realism is a huge part of it. I like it when dialog actually reads the way people would talk. There are times where dialog starts to sound more like poetry, and I suppose it works at times, but it's often not relatable. Some people will know more words than others, some will have better grammar. Not everyone will speak perfectly! Tone and speech pattern will change with expression. It's those kinds of nuances that really help differentiate a character for me! I also love it when there are portraits and sprite movement to really drive it home as well. When sprites just sort of stand around doing nothing, oy.

5. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me, it's when the dialogue doesn't drag on for longer than is necessary. And also, when you can keep up with what's being talked about, even if you skimp through it. In other words, avoid 'big' words and long sentences.

6. JamesdomusGames

JamesdomusGames I'm an anarchist. No, really. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good and bad are up to the point of view of the person writing and the person playing.

There are examples of 'stale' dialogue, like "Hello. I am Peter. It's nice to meet you."

But what one person feels is 'natural', someone else might think is stale.

First, I try to write it out the way I would speak it in real life, then edit it into a more concise package. That's what screenplay dialogue is, and that's a close approximation for RPGs, as well, IMHO.

I hope this helps.

Frogboy likes this.
  7. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good dialog to me is that which is believable and serves some sort of story purpose. It can be to just get to know the characters but that information should be relevant to events or reactions to the events that happen later in the game. In short, just about every line of dialog should have a purpose and anything else should probably be cut so that you aren't boring your players with meaningless fluff.

JamesdomusGames likes this.