What Makes You Uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by HitYourGrandma, Apr 30, 2016.

1. HitYourGrandma

HitYourGrandma Ruler of all Evil and Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    In games, writing, tv shows, etc, what makes you uncomfortable? Do things like sexism, racism, etc make you uncomfortable? Does it make you uncomfortable if it's accurate with the current setting/whatever the media is set in?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2016
  2. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    people who hit their grandma :)

Joke aside, I'm going to be weird, but over emotional happy ends make me sometimes uncomfortable.

3. Iliketea

Iliketea Tea lover Veteran

First Language:
    German
    When people make light of WWII, the holocaust, nazis  and so on or even deny that it happen or say stuff like "Hitler did nothing wrong".

4. Balako

Balako PattyCake assosiation Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    you lovable...i was aiming with this!!!!

i dont like romance....period

5. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not much makes me uncomfortable. Extreme gore maybe. 

Edit: Oh, I got another one. Violence against animals. ;_;  

Vexed and Alexander Amnell like this.
  6. amaSenpai

amaSenpai LP: amaSenpai Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I used to be sort of tolerant of fanservice as long as it wasn't too bad..

But now I get too annoyed when I come across things like that and usually drop the game/show. This has killed a lot of options in entertainment.

Not all sexuality is bad, but I hate when it doesn't have a purpose. Is the character flirty or a show off? Sure! Is this character a cutie innocent lamb and for some reason there is 10 panty shots and they have stupid but-and-boob showing poses? Ughhh.

There's a difference between Bayonetta (intentionally sexy) and dead or alive (everyone gets bouncing boobs!!)

7. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
       I'll jump on the romance/overt sexuality thing, I've got no problem with a well done love scene or two but to often (especially in anime) it just comes out of nowhere and has absolutely nothing to do with the story other than the deeply held belief that "all guys are perverts, so give them fan service" and it's wreaked a lot of good shows and games for me because of a combination of myself personally being uncomfortable (though I used to suck it up if the media was good enough otherwise) and not wanting to be a hypocrite as a father hiding in the closet whenever I play games and watch shows while trying to raise my own daughters so that they'll have to much respect for themselves to fall into all of the trappings of that lifestyle that's just rampant in the entertainment society even today.

The only other thing that really bothers me is when a show gets really adult-rated out of nowhere without any real warning or foreshadowing, like a show about a nice guy just trying to help people that might have a little bit of violence sprinkled in here and there suddenly featuring a full on, visceral beheading and a sex scene wrapped up in the season finale after a dozen and a half episodes benign enough that we'd started watching the show as a family. This particular one is rather new, but it's been happening more and more frequently in the last couple of years and it is one of the few things that honestly and truly pisses me off because it seems like the show is seriously trying to catch me off guard with it, rather than let me judge it's content and decide whether I want to watch it or not.

8. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Awkward intimacy between two characters whose relationship has not actually been built up in any believable way and you can tell this is only happening to meet some certain requirement for romance, because romance is totally a requirement. With each article of clothing that is removed, I reach a new level of uncomfort. If flesh touches flesh in any way, my soul is sent to another plane of existence and I become nothing more than an empty husk praying for release from the torment that my chosen form of media has decided to inflict upon me.

Vexed, kaukusaki, gendfleur and 6 others like this.
  9. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Violence against animals, and downer endings.

10. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Me too!

I don't know if it it counts as unconfortable, but misunderstandings annoy me to no end. I think that injustice makes me feel unconfortable when there's no pay off (the villain kills off a main character but doesn't get his comeuppance...which is why I've been avoiding game of thrones, from what I uderstand there is a lot of it in that show), also awkward situations. You know, when a character is put on the spot and you just know he's gonna make a fool of himself, I feel really unconfortable in those kind of setups.

kaukusaki, Hellpug and Matseb2611 like this.
  11. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Incredibly quick relationship progression that is everywhere.  Gets uncomfortable real quick.

Ex: sees hot girl/dude, talk for 3 minutes, cue true love I guess (he/she hot so it k?), go out for a week, have steamy scene, get married ,THE END.

Actually, popular female romance novels are way worse then the quick ones for me (in terms of making me feel uncomfortable) due to how sexist they are to both genders.

Females are shown as being very submissive, indecisive (to the point that the climax is about the female making an actual choice cuz she never does it),  insecure and lost without the male romance interest around.

Men are shown as incredibly hot, stalkers, creepers, very aggressive (threatening people is suppose to be assertive I guess?), lacking emotions vast majority of the time (and emotional awareness ofc), are the ones that always wrong in a relationship (guy has a phobia from a childhood trauma that causes him not to make the wrong choice?  Female will get in an argument over how unmanly he is and he will be the only one that will feel sorry cuz men shouldn't feel anything and nobody should care what a man feels I guess), tend to do everything that a girl says they hate a guy to do.

Heck, the only thing that isn't ever sexist in romance novels is the woman's looks because it is always stated as average, but that is ruined by the guys always being outrageously hot (like a reverse of what is said to be wrong with games and is primarily what makes them incredibly sexist in the first place).

Just reading three chapters of a random romance novel will make me to uncomfortable to continue generally (Oh look a guy is being the worst jerk I have ever seen and the girl is loving every second of it and this is what girls see as attractive? Faith in humanity decreased).

12. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    - le removed

Violence against animals of any sort.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  13. AnotherMage

AnotherMage Exactly what it says on the tin. Member

First Language:
    English
    I'll go with what most people is saying with the whole intimacy thing. I feel romance CAN be pulled of in media...sometimes. However, a lot of it crosses the line from "good character development" to "just because we can", which can have the potential to ruin a perfectly good story. Aside from that, I get extremely uncomfortable whenever there's a lot of realistic abuse, sexual or not. For example, I hate the torture sequence in GTA V because it's more realistic than, let's say Kratos downing the foes in his path.

Hellpug and AwesomeCool like this.
  14. Iliketea

Iliketea Tea lover Veteran

First Language:
    German

.... I forgot to add " if people play down Hitler or what Hitler did" 

Dude I am German. If anyone knows that Hitler IS THAT BAD than its me. 

kaukusaki, Hellpug and Marsigne like this.
  15. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    wtf... The question here is what makes YOU uncomfortable. Not go off topic and discuss the relevance one of the opinion posted. Particularly when its to express stupid viewpoints on Hitler.

so keeping off topic.

I mean, have you ever opened a history book? Does USA, who indubitably had indeed a wrong behavior against their Japanese residents, ordered its administration to setup a cold and mathematic ways to exterminate 6 millions of them. Know your facts, go beyond history channel... And most of all. Be concerned only by what makes YOU uncomfortable.

now back on topic.

people who try to play down what Nazism did make me uncomfortable.

16. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Forum rules specifically state that any discussion of politics and religion, outside of game development, is not permitted. Stay away from those subjects.

17. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Things that make me uncomfortable in media:

- When violence is taken way too far just to be gory for the sake of gory. Don't get me wrong, I like gritty and visceral violence in fiction, but it needs to have time and place. Overdoing it only starts to get annoying.

- I'll agree with what Nirwanda said. It really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when I see extreme injustice in fiction. I play/read/watch fiction to get away from this stuff, so having it creep up on me just annoys me to no end. I like grey morality and questionable stuff happening in fiction, but not when it starts to irritate me. This brings me to the next point.

- Main character being a complete jerk or a complete fool, or a combination of the two. Basically when the main hero that we're supposed to empathize with or fill the shoes of starts making a string of bad decisions that you personally wouldn't do and all you want to do is to tell them to stop and slap them hard.

- Unresolved endings. Cliffhangers are one thing (they're great if done right), but lack of closure and resolution to the main story arc just leaves me with a 'meh' feeling. I often feel this in TV shows. A lot of the time they try too hard to leave too many questions open for the next season and tend to forget to have a proper oomph in the season finale. Each TV season, or each installment in a video game franchise, should have its own story arc, which is part of a bigger story. This story arc, I feel, should get introduced properly and get resolved properly, whilst leaving a few things open for the sequel, but the element of closure should still be there.

- I'll agree with what others said regarding sex, forced romance, and nudity. A bit of it here and there is fine, but having it there just for the sake of having it just feels off. I particularly hate how a lot of the time female characters are only present just to fulfil the role of being someone's love interest, rather than playing a serious role in the story itself. Or when a seemingly badass, un-romantic, and tomboyish female character suddenly for no good reason decides to let some guy go down on her, just so that the film/game/show could have a sex scene.

- Unnecessary political correctness. Like you know, when a character is introduced to be as gay or belong to some other minority group just for the sake of having diversity, even if their sexual orientation (or whatever) does not play any role in the story whatsoever.

AwesomeCool and Iliketea like this.
  18. Balako

Balako PattyCake assosiation Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    im not sure i understood this quiet well, but if you mean lie place them in games...i thought devil summoner did that very well *-*

AwesomeCool likes this.
  19. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Violence and gore is the first thing that comes to mind for me, x(( I don't know.. every since I was a child, playing Mortal Combat on PS2 made me feel sick and I didn't last a dozen matches with the game. also movies like SAW and stuff... it feels icky, I'm always like "Ouch that's gotta hurt" like I literally feel what their feeling... after that, I don't wanna watch them anymore. (but if you're a fan of these, I have no problem with that.. just my own personal opinion xD )

I also get uncomfortable with animal abuse in media. x((

Horror games are fun for me, but there are times when they really make me feel psychologically damaged.. Amnesia and Until Dawn comes to mind..

Oddball likes this.
  20. Hellpug

Hellpug Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engililish
    Overly gorey/dragged self-harm or violence to another. Accidental injury where the emphasis is on the person's emotional distress (Thanks Worksafe BC vids =_=). Sexual assault depends, if its to glorify or used repeatedly to shock the viewer, hate it. If its actually being discussed properly, not so much. Nnedi Okorafor's "Who Fears Death" has an extremely explicit scene which normally I would not be down with but it was addressing the political and had a actual realistic discussion about it in the narrative. I'm noticing a lot of horror RPG Maker games starting to over use it.

Doesn't make me uncomfortable, but forced romance is horrid. Legend of Dragoon is my fave example of how awful this is.