What One Thing In RPG Maker Would You Like To See?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by RPGMakerWeb, Oct 27, 2019.

1. RPGMakerWeb

RPGMakerWeb Admin Staff Member Veteran

First Language:
    RPG Maker
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you were given control of the development of future updates of RPG Maker, what would be the biggest priority for you to add or change, and how would you make it work?

Tell us in the replies, and be sure to like your favorite suggestions!

Driftwood Gaming likes this.
  2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    One thing? I'd say the ability to select whether it is * or + for the items in features. If I want to use *200% CNT or +10% Fire Rate let me without a script.

kaukusaki, Poryg, TWings and 8 others like this.
  3. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Native support for CTB without having to dig around for scripts/plugins that may be no longer supported by their developers.

kaukusaki and CoryH like this.
  4. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Fixing the base code of MV. And hope KDKW isn't hard-headed to implement some of Yanfly's or community fixes (performance, bug fixes, cleaner base code, etc). This could mean MV 2.0 or might as well as a new RM all together.

5. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    More built-in options for event page conditions, such as being able to check more than one variable per page and setting conditions so the variables can be checked for more than just '>=' (sometimes it'd be nice to just check for an exact amount in a variable without having to add a blank page right after).

6. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Remove arbitrary limitations on tilesets and tile sheets (allow for more sheets, allow for custom input on the size of sheets).

Make it so you can easily adjust the grid size for your game with custom values (or even just within the power of 2s).

Make it support diagonal movement, separate running/walking/idling animations, and custom number of animation frames by default.

At least the option for y-value (or z-value) image sorting so items higher up on the screen will appear "behind" taller items that are standing in front of it without having to deal with a bunch of wonky passability stuff.

These are all loosely related. The TLDR version of this would be "add more flexibility for mapping and characters"

7. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The ability to choose which layer an object or tile goes on. That is multiple layers, let's say 5 layers, for you to use to make your maps.

8. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are so many things I'd like to see, it's hard to name just one that I'd say is more important than anything else. But to name one, I'd like to see RPG Maker revert back to having 3 mapping layers again (or more would be even better).

(Also for the editor to stop removing upper-layer tiles when editing the lower-layer tiles...)

9. blurymind

blurymind Veteran Veteran

An event sheet that would allow non programmers to implement new game mechanics. Look at the event sheet in clicktea fusion, construct 2 and gdevelop. It gives for much better control over the mechanics of a game than the if else block in rpg maker

Mimikyu, XPKobold, Zarsla and 4 others like this.
  10. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @NinjaKittyProductions : That was my 2nd choice, and I almost posted that instead. Guess we thought alike?

Zarsla and PixelHeart like this.
  11. TheNewSon

TheNewSon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Map layers and tileset configuration from RMXP are unmatched in my opinion, so I'd love to see them back!

12. zerobeat032

zerobeat032 Directional NPC Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    honestly... one of my only true gripes these days is the structure of the program sorta. like I really wish there was an easier way to organize and keep track of your database stuff. I feel it's really easy to get everything unorganized. but I guess that's on me a but too?

Mimikyu, TWings, Zarsla and 4 others like this.
  13. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Add built-in "meta" functionality on database entities (actor, class, armor, etc.) so that notetags don't have to be used.

Use the same data types as in Plugin Parameters for consistency - number, boolean, text, list of (number, boolean, text), etc.

So you don't have to write a notetag and parse it for:
    Code:
    <Race: Goblin>
    But instead it would be built in to the screen in the database.

Notetags should be for notes, not functionality.

Edit:
    This post has some mockups for a similar idea here:
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...nfigurable-like-the-new-plugin-manager.87291/

I like this idea because it's not asking for a major overhaul to the system, it should be totally do-able and would have a massive improvement on making things easier for people. We don't expect the editor to become open-source, but providing a safe way for people to add features to the editor itself via plugins is very advantageous.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  14. chrisxiao

chrisxiao Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Instead one thing in MV, how about a new engine with the ability to make a few type of games, such as rogue-likes, strategic turn based, card games, click based games, instead of being focused on rpgs, not saying rpgs/jrpgs are bad, but the diversity is lacking here, i've seen some awesome rpg maker games, but most of them are identical in terms of gameplay and ideas.

KaiserCrimson_1 and Nanaya like this.
  15. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp If I remember correctly, XP had this functionality but they took it away in Vx and Vx Ace. I loved that feature and miss it dearly.
    Great ideas are never ones own ^_^

16. MechScapeZH

MechScapeZH Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Different camera angles for the side-view battle system. I remember there being a script for VX (Jet's Viewed Battle System- can't find a dedicated thread for it to link to since it's so old) where you could have the party face up, down, left, or right and have the enemies automatically face them. It was really cool and offered some visual flair & variety between games that I think is missing from MV's sideview system. Having your game look unique is the first step to making someone interested in playing it, and I think this would go a long way towards that.

Also- and this is more of a niche, somewhat selfish request, but since the question's being asked I thought I'd answer in full- I'd like an option for sidescrolling maps with a jump. A platformer, but very basic. Like the Dream World in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. Jump around and battle when you hit an enemy. Again, this would go a long way towards visual variety.

I think the biggest problem with RPG Maker right now, despite its otherwise awesome features & easy-to-use interface, is the fact that you have to put a lot of work into making your game look different from other RPG Maker games, and if you don't, it's immediately obvious how you made it. You don't get that with other engines since you have to build interfaces from scratch. If this was fixed, I think a lot of the stigma surrounding RPG Maker would at least somewhat dissipate- it's all about presentation, right? :)

KaiserCrimson_1 likes this.
  17. Storyteller-Hero

Storyteller-Hero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    More than three choices of vehicle, with the ability to adjust individual vehicle settings in the database beyond their "type"/image.

A dedicated option in the database to adjust multiple settings for the title screen including the option to play an introductory video (selected from video files), perhaps with a preview mini-screen to play the video transition into the title screen like how animations have a preview mini-screen. Perhaps also a built-in option for an animated title screen.

18. Kingdommangas

Kingdommangas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really would like to see a script choice in the conditionnal activation of evenment

Sleepy Kitten Games and TWings like this.
  19. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    multiple mapping layers, like xp, maybe even more than in xp.
    Also grid-free mapping

20. Artemis

Artemis Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    GitHub integration.