What One Thing In RPG Maker Would You Like To See?

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would add to the many posts of mapping improvements, but instead I'll mention something that probably is a given to go with it: sprite sizes in general. As an artist being able to have smaller sprite sizes or even extra frames would be awesome(which could range from charactersets, weapons, windowskin etc). Maybe there'd be a way to define custom presets too so that you would't have to tell the engine how each spritesheet is formatted every time.
Yeah I know it's pretty over ambitious, but some level of extra size control when create sprites would open doors to a lot more resources! :kaopride:

chrisxiao

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A program called RPG Maker is used for making RPGs? What sorcery is this?
That's why I suggested a new engine, one that is not focused on a single genre, having the ability to make any kind of popular genres, not just typical jrpg like games. I know that it has no chance of happening, it's nice to dream tho.

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
More tileset tabs per tileset.

The default A-E tabs work fine for MV's RTP, but once you expand to tilesets like the FES set, which has a ton of tile variations and unorganized tiles in general, you end up having to make tons of alternate tilesets just to swap out one tab here and there. Very frustrating to deal with, and doesn't seem like it'd be particularly difficult to add an F and G tab at least.

I also second adding more self switches and self variables. Doesn't seem like a difficult thing to expand on.

@chrisxiao Kadokawa did just release Pixel Game Maker recently. I think that's safe to mention here seeing as it's the same developer, but if not then I'm sure we'll know soon enough ;)

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man, I really wanted to say full gamepad r support... I mean like TRUE gamepad support, with the ability to make the controller rumble and utilize all the buttons and set it all up with an easy GUI with event commands or conditions to go with it.
Another thing that would be nice is the ability to just wrap the entire project in an APK when you export to Android. It would make things a whole lot easier.

However... It has to be only one thing, and after reading through the replies I can definitely agree that we NEED mapping layers! Grid free mapping would be great too but I can't believe the mapping layers haven't been implemented again. It makes mapping so much easier and you can do much prettier things with it. MV already has layers, we just need better control over them. The option to turn a layer off would be cool too.

(also, what is stopping you adding all the features from MV Trinity into MV? Seems like a strange thing to have more options in the console version when it comes to eventing.)

Last edited:

FleshToDust

Eventer, Disliker of Plugins
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If they make any changes I hope customization is on the list. Make the engine more flexible. It helps everyone. Gamers get less default games, developers can more easily customize their games and the RPG Maker team lower the stigma of their products.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(also, what is stopping you adding all the features from MV Trinity into MV? Seems like a strange thing to have more options in the console version when it comes to eventing.)
I haven't touched Trinity since we aren't publishing it (so I don't have access to it). What extra is there in events that aren't in MV?

Last edited:

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy
I did not share with the timestamp, since I'm on a mobile phone, but SRDude has pinned a comment with the exact timestamp for the listing of extra features. It's some quality of life features we have to solve through plugins by default.

Noct

coffee.empty? ? refill_coffee : drink_coffee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
[US] English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My biggest issue that's kept me away from MV (even though I bought the pre-order) is the fact that the plugin database is a mess. Never mind the regular database. I get that plugins are the thing people are going for but what was wrong with ace's built in script editor? I'd say keep the importing tools and options set you have now but use a hierarchy system like RGSS had to better organize it and let me also see the script in action on the right side of the script list. Not only could this be possible but you could also introduce dedicated syntax highlighting as well as built in function lists that MV uses by default like what Visual Basic uses or even Gamemaker 2 (NOT DND Though). I think people would be more inclined to dive in and try to program for themselves instead of jumping to google finding a plugin that may or may not be supported for their version of MV. There's so much more potential then what's available.

Edit: You could even add support of additional script tabs as well if you wanted to toggle through a selection of scripts you were keeping open on the fly etc.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would probably rework the character sprite editor.

MV's works, sure, but it isn't very well designed in terms of having the user add more parts. The process is a little arcane.

As an idea, it would be great if the editor read from config files that list the assets (and their relationships) from subfolders. That way, if I had a load of additional assets, I could just provide them as a text file and the subfolders which the end-user just has to copy into a location, and the editor would aggregate all contents of the config files/subfolders together when the editor opens.

There are almost certainly even better ways to do it, but just in general, I would love a way to simplify this. While at it, I would have a wider colour palette within the editor (I know it can be changed, but it'd be great if we didn't have to do anything).

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Poryg and @Touchfuzzy - Around the 13 minute mark of that video, I think that is what you are looking for. It does have some good features that would be very nice to have in the PC version.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My #1 request would be a return to XP mapping. This includes:

Giving the player control over the layers
- allow layers to be edited separately, so placing something on the lowest layer doesn't wipe out what's on the layers above
- allow autotiles to be placed on higher layers
- allow the active layer to be viewed while others are dimmed

Make autotiles less "smart"
- don't change already-drawn autotiles when drawing next to them with a different autotile (this would be my biggest peeve with MV - and Ace and VX)
- bring back the autotile double-click function from XP - double-click on an autotile in the palette, to open a sheet of all 48 variations of that autotile, and select one manually from that list
- do away with shift-clicking, or have an option in the editor to use shift-clicking OR the double-click function above, so people can use whichever method they prefer

Don't really mind whether it sticks with the Ace tileset format or the XP tileset format.

And in the tileset tab, add the ability to reset flags on a tileset to the default (not all flags at once, but if you're looking at passage, allow all passage flags to be reset, and if you're looking at priority, allow all priority flags to be reset), and to copy flags from one tileset slot to another (for example, if I want to make a dungeon tileset but have one tile slot from the indoor tileset, let me copy/paste the flags for that one slot/tab rather than have to do them all manually).

Allow for the engine to be modified.
This would be nice too, and if this could be done, it would probably be possible to do a lot of the other stuff people are requesting without having it baked into the engine.

Last edited:

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Enhance the conditional branch System:
  • Add more than one thing to compare without the use of script:
  • More things to put in a conditional branch without the use of variables, like Map Id(Add Game Data from control variable directly do conditional branch is an example of that).
  • Check position of player, events and pictures.
  • Check variable value as a string(Although it's very easy for me to check this in the script field, If this can be merge to check a string value from a variable plus other thing(without using script) it will be good not only for me, but for the entire community that has not have the knowledge to use scripts)
-

Ludo_gamer

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
-A REAL and NATIVE mobile export method.
It is not so good the actual method using a web view method, because it becomes laggy on most android systems.
And would be great if you can just edit the files to export a really apk directly from the program.

Last edited:

Lion Blade Soler

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
The one thing that I would like to see for RPG Maker MV is for the program to get a Trinity upgrade. RPG Maker MV Trinity has features that regular RGP Maker MV doesn't have, especially the ability to change the Hue of the tilesets. Not to mention, Trinity has additional tilesets that MV doesn't have. By doing a Trinity upgrade, MV will have features and assets that it currently lacks and that Trinity currently has. Besides, since Kadokawa chose to drop the Xbox One version of Trinity and to stick with PS4 and Switch, the PC can take Xbox One's spot and become part of that Trinity.

Make the tile grid/resolution re-sizable without the use of plugins.

Or even just give us the choice between 16x,24x,32x,48x, when starting a project, or something like that. Common, please! Y'all friggin post 16x16 assets as optimized for MV on the store, yet it clashes with the menus without some work-around in the form of a pluggin.... I bet this is gunna get 'liked' the crap out of, like it it usually has, yet yall still ask what sort of feature we want in RM.....Adjustable-Tile-Grid. Please. PLEASE T.T .
I'm down with that idea. I may be a programmer third, but I'm a storyteller second and an artist first, and considering how I'm struggling with converting the XP tilesets to fit the MV standard, I wished that there was an option to choose the tileset size to use before starting the project, especially the ability to choose between 512 x 512 tilesets (which gives a 32x grid) and the 768 x 768 tilesets (which gives a 48x grid) for map design, just like there is the option for front-view battle monsters and for side-view battle monsters. Having said that, I'm assuming that Kadokawa may be hesitant on doing that for the time being, because there would be a problem with downscaling and upscaling the sprites.

I did the calculations with the tilesets as I was trying to figure out a way to convert the RMXP tilesets for RMMV, and considering what I found out through the calculations, Kadokawa should have either kept the 512 x 512 format for the tilesets or gone with 1024 x1024 for the tilesets. There's a problem with converting between the tilesets, because 384 (half of 768) is not a pure multiplier of 256 as 384 divided by 256 gives 1.5 as the answer (dividing 768 with 512 will give the same answer). Likewise, the MV tilesets can't be downscaled to VX Ace standard (let alone, XP standard), because the MV tilesets will lose pixel details thanks to that one fractional difference, and if that's true for the tilesets, that may also be true for the sprites/characters.

This is not to discourage you or anyone else about the tileset sizing option, especially since that I would like to see that as well. From my perspective, it would be a time saver when it came to tileset size conversion. Hopefully, Kadokawa will consider the option of letting designers choose which tileset size to use before starting the project, even if it means needing to rework the character sprites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So a guy enters in a bar and walks up to the counter. He looks the bartender with a mysterious look and asks him...
I've wondered for a while now... what is it about the YED SV plugin that just doesn't do transformations... I feel it's how it looks up the battlers honestly.
To actually work on my game, or browse these forums about creating my game? Hmmm....
Tanning beds are actually vampire traps. Coffin shaped but the minute they're inside... BAM UV Rays. Dead Vampire.
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/restrictions-limited-move-sets.117489/ A new blog discussion thread draws near! Command?

What do you think of Limited Move Sets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miss_Behavin