What One Thing In RPG Maker Would You Like To See?

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would love to have the ability to set editor font sizes and colors. As visually impaired person, I find the lack of accessability options disturbing.
I think this would be great if we can choose and change the colors from the command events that appears in pages.
For example, conditional branchs and common events are both blue. If we can change it will be a simple but nice change.

The cute chicken

Cute Chicken Games
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want something simple... Or at least I thing is simple. (In comparison to what others are asking that is essentially make everything from scratch all over again. :kaophew:)

It's a cool feature that modern videogames are using more often. (I don't know if that feature has a proper name.) I want the BGM to be divided in two. Something like Initial BGM and Loop BGM. I make my own music and sometimes I create a cool song but the beginning sounds awful when the music loops.

That can also help to make for example something like in Etrian Odyssey when you get ambushed (or blindsided) a cool Guitar SFX plays and it's so epic.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want something simple... Or at least I thing is simple. (In comparison to what others are asking that is essentially make everything from scratch all over again. :kaophew:)

It's a cool feature that modern videogames are using more often. (I don't know if that feature has a proper name.) I want the BGM to be divided in two. Something like Initial BGM and Loop BGM. I make my own music and sometimes I create a cool song but the beginning sounds awful when the music loops.

That can also help to make for example something like in Etrian Odyssey when you get ambushed (or blindsided) a cool Guitar SFX plays and it's so epic.
This already exists, and it's nothing to do with the engine. Use loop tag when saving .ogg files.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not to mention, Trinity has additional tilesets that MV doesn't have.
I don't want to speak for the publisher, but I would expect that these will, eventually, come out for MV, probably as a DLC pack - similar to the FES DLC pack.

shockra

Slightly Crazy Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A skill tree editor option. There's no easy way to make those right now.

Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oooooh, that's a tough one... but I'm probably gonna have to say having the option to just have a command trigger a skill when selected.

Dystrance

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
In the database being able to create folders to organize your items, skills, etc. in.
Right now I reserve sections of, let's say, 20 skills for hero 1. Later on during the developement progress I might want to add more skills
to my hero though. This way I have to add them at the end of the database, making unorganized and harder to follow.
If I could just create a folder where I can dump all my skills for hero 1 and later on add more skills to that folder it would make the entire
database way more organized.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I agree with the tile/grid/mapping flexibility idea. But if you want to hear pie-in-the-sky wishes too, then I'd say a built-in tactical battle system.

Reaction score
First Language
English
I would above all love to see the ability to make our own add-ons that could effect(update) the engine.

I would like a complete rework of how tilesets and layering is handled in MV. Why is it every other engine I use gives me full freedom but MV is so limiting and 'difficult' when it comes to using custom artwork. Infinite(or at least many many) layers should be possible and more resources should be accessible on a single map.

Adding additional combat style functionality would be nice. The addition of the side view battle was a huge hit with the public (and myself). Let's add more customized combat modes like a Final Fantasy Tactics style of combat options, or Chrono Trigger style. I think a Suikoden style combat system would be awesome.

There are still several ways you could improve the next version of RPG Maker and I hope it's done well. Thanks for making this post and thanks for reading my ideas. Have a great day and good luck on your future projects.
-Drifty

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In the database being able to create folders to organize your items, skills, etc. in.
Right now I reserve sections of, let's say, 20 skills for hero 1. Later on during the developement progress I might want to add more skills
to my hero though. This way I have to add them at the end of the database, making unorganized and harder to follow.
If I could just create a folder where I can dump all my skills for hero 1 and later on add more skills to that folder it would make the entire
database way more organized.
Database management is indeed difficult due to the inflexibility of the current implementation. Unless you plan very well ahead, knowing exactly what you're going to need and want and where it should go and stay, and leave tons of placeholder space just in case, you're going to get your database become a mess at some point, sadly.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
more robust functionality with events and the database.

For example: The option to create Paths for animaton cells, to double the number of frames of an animation and automatically tween them, notetags in the animation editor, add a "tint battleback" option to the battle animation commands, etc.
Native support for bone animation would be very good, too.

A new "Display String Picture" command which allows you to render text as a picture and move this picture around with the regular move picture command, allowing for much easier evented or semi-evented systems.

Actually, pretty much every change BingShan did for the Maniacs patch of 2k3 is an amazing change that should be ported forwards to a new editor. better use of variable pointers, tile swapping etc.

Anyway that's actually quite a few individual requests but it boils down to: Please don't just do VX 4.0 and actually strive to radically change some parts of the engine in order to allow more control to the developer. So take this opportunity to rethink the mapping system, how each tab in the database works, etc...

l8rose

Neeeeerd
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ability to "lock" certain object layers. Have the roof remain above the path I forgot to add earlier.

The cute chicken

Cute Chicken Games
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This already exists, and it's nothing to do with the engine. Use loop tag when saving .ogg files.
Thank you a lot! I use Audacity but in a really simple way (to export files from .wav to .ogg) and didn't know about it. :kaopride:

But I don't know if there's a way to play a specific BGM like when you get ambushed or if you ambush the enemy. I only found an old VX script to do that, but nothing in MV. I think that would be a cool thing to have.

Isaac The Red

RedMage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
I've made my statement on the past via this post https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/database-plugin-manager-ect-not-locking-you-out-of-the-rest-of-the-editor.79837/ but to reiterate.

Allow people to have access to more than a single portion of the editor at any given time. As my linked post states. Stop the database editor from locking us out of the rest of the editor. Yes, this would require the software to handle project files differently. Though to be honest not by a whole lot. And implementing this properly, would also potentially allow for multiple instances of the software running and working on the same project, for collaborative work groups.

The biggest thing RPG Maker needs as a software in the whole of things is a better way to work together with other users. And a major way to make this more viable, is to stop using flatfiles for our databases. With proper database files that could be referenced and accessed by multiple users at once, adding one entry would no longer cause an issue with another session, in the same respect, checking files in and out would be a standard for other parts such as Maps. While one person is editing a map, no other user may make changes to that map,

These kind of things would go a long way into making RPG maker less of a toy and into something more robust.

RPG Maker has gone a long way from where it used to be to where it is now. We need to see it go even further so that despite it really just being a creativity toy that you can use to easily make your own RPGs in. To something that truely feels as powerful as other game engines. While keeping the familiarity that we all know and love. RPG Maker is rather powerful as an engine, though it's clearly bogged down by the frankly badly implemented back-end.

I don't honestly see this or any of these suggestions happening in the current iteration of RPG Maker. But A lot needs to be changed and improved for RPG Maker MV 2 or RPG Maker X or whatever is decided upon for the next releases name. RPG Maker 2k21? XD

hyperjelly

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am new to the RPG Maker scene and so there are definitely people here who have a better idea of what should take priority in terms of bettering the software. I am in the middle of building my game in MV, and I had no idea until reading these responses that older versions of RPG Maker had several mapping layers available in the Map mode...

I'm stunned that this is no longer a standard in the current software, and so my suggestion would absolutely be to bring the map layers functionality and tileset configuration from old versions back into this one.

Having the flexibility to not be tied to 48x48 would also be ideal.

kokozhang

Illustrator
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Search function on event creation menu would be nice.

Like when I create an event, instead of looking all the function, I just can search "Change Transparency" or "Add / Remove Party"
This will make development much more efficient and faster.

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Search function on event creation menu would be nice.

Like when I create an event, instead of looking all the function, I just can search "Change Transparency" or "Add / Remove Party"
This will make development much more efficient and faster.
Nice suggestion!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Have fun with English: a "fire grenade" is not portable napalm but a fire extinguisher tool.
2 days ago someone tried to convert me to Islam. Today youtube tried to convert me to Catholicism. The only thing left would be to meet sone Jehova's witnesses.
I just successfully tested changing music by region, and changing it between continents on the world map after getting on/off the airship. I had to override the default audio transitions with eventing to make it change smoothly but it worked.
Stream will be going live shortly with some more Witcher 3, then we will switch to another game! Feel free to drop by~
Finally scripting out the story after WAYYYYY too long of having 0 idea of how to approach said scripting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmeeDucks