What One Thing In RPG Maker Would You Like To See?

revenile

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Easy, an update to the character generator that allows for more base body types and allows me to choose in generator from a list of base body types, so that I don't have to swap out manually human and beast-man style bodies. Also possibly make it so the naming scheme for parts isn't so picky. It makes it a bit annoying to add parts to the generator when they have to be named just right or they don't show, makes using some of the fantastic free generator parts here on the forums and elsewhere a needlessly time consuming task to get them all in. It would be neat not to have to use a 3rd party program to do this stuff.

Nanaya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Instead one thing in MV, how about a new engine with the ability to make a few type of games, such as rogue-likes, strategic turn based, card games, click based games, instead of being focused on rpgs, not saying rpgs/jrpgs are bad, but the diversity is lacking here, i've seen some awesome rpg maker games, but most of them are identical in terms of gameplay and ideas.
Just like @chrisxiao, I'd like to see a more flexible fighting system, so we could either make a tactical RPG, classical japanese RPG, or else. Indeed, it's hard to make an RPG Maker MV game that does not look exactly like an another RPG Maker MV game.
Also, a proper way to multi class, like in DnD, or other pen and paper RPG game.

Last edited:

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Instead one thing in MV, how about a new engine with the ability to make a few type of games, such as rogue-likes, strategic turn based, card games, click based games, instead of being focused on rpgs, not saying rpgs/jrpgs are bad, but the diversity is lacking here, i've seen some awesome rpg maker games, but most of them are identical in terms of gameplay and ideas.
The thing is, that kind of is GameMaker already, or Unity etc. especially with their plugin libraries. The whole charm of RPG Maker is being, well, an RPG Maker; I think the best requests with the best chances of being fulfilled are those aimed at making the engine more efficient in what it currently does, because these extensions fall solely on the hands of the developers (it would be unfeasible for them to make presets for all of these different gamemodes; if they did they'd have to sell as plugins because it would be a mess if that were incorporated into the editor the way it is now etc)

The fact "most RPG Maker games have identical gameplay" boils down to it being an easy and cheap engine that everybody can get and make a simple game with the default stuff, which is awesome. But there are looooads of games out there that avoid that. You're mostly not gonna find them on Steam though, sadly.

That being said now that I think of it, I think a modular, editable editor like the stuff you can do in Unity would be a great way to rethink the editor for a next edition of RPG Maker. And if you allow plugin developers access to that also, it means their plugins can extend the editor in awesome ways; it sort of already has a proto version of that in rpg maker in the form of plugin commands and gating the plugins off from the user and having an editor-like interface to edit plugin values, but i'll love to see this explored further.

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RM is going to have to start innovating soon. Other engines are passing them while still being simplistic and not requiring code. You can't stick with the default menu's, default battle system, inflexibility that RM's had since 2003 forever. Why can't I edit the way my menu's look? Why do I need a plugin to change the default resolution? Why did RM remove Layers? RM will soon be just a demo and you'll need plugins to do anything worthwhile. RM is way too reliant on plugins and if they don't watch their competition, it'll pass them by while they're wondering what happened.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just like @chrisxiao, I'd like to see a more flexible fighting system, so we could either make a tactical RPG, classical japanese RPG, or else. Indeed, it's hard to make an RPG Maker MV game that does not look exactly like an another RPG Maker MV game.
That's not true at all, but it takes effort on the game developer's side to create something that the engine doesn't provide by default. It's very much possible to create an RPG Maker game that doesn't look like every other RPG Maker game, it only requires you to make your own assets and do some extensive eventing/scripting. The reason almost every RPG Maker game looks and feels like an RPG Maker game is because the vast majority of people using the program don't have the time, patience, or skill set or resources to make their game completely unique.
Your game is never going to not look like every other RPG Maker game without you putting in the effort of making it look and feel unique.

MMG

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ability to controll map events. Like triggers if this events touch another event or event that have X tag. Also some kind of ability to make puzzles more easyer to create (like missiles and things like that)

Sunjean

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norvegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would love a regular "Save as" button, so I don't have to manually copy my files every time I make changes. So much easier if I could just use "save as" while working.

Warrior of Myth

Griffin Rider
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Interesting question that should be given few years ago. Let's go:

1: Native compatibility with all types of ATB.

~Let's rock the creativity! :kaopride:

Last edited:

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm gonna go with what bothers me the most :

The events conditions.
Beeing stucked with 2 switches, a >= variable (why the heck can't we choose = or < ??) and a few other options just doesn't cut it. It's really tiresome to have to find ways around it all the time. At worst, add the option to use a scripted condition, so advanced users can put whatever condition they like while keeping it simple for basic users.

Last edited:

masterkof

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Able to use Folders in pictures folders. I know there is a plugin on this but I want to be able to "click" on it rather than type down the FULL path.

kmack

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would love to see a GUI which allows creators to customize menu screens with custom graphics and free placement of the menus. Similar to the character generator. Oh... and speaking of the character generator... please allow a way for developers to include the option for a player to generate the way their character looks in-game. This adds immensely to the game-play experience.

If I had to dream really (REALLY REALLY REALLY) big... then I would love to see other types of battle systems integrated naturally into the RPG Maker. For the encounter... add a drop-down while the game is being initially created which lists the type of battle mode will utilize (IE: Classic RPG Maker, Sideview Battler Mode, Tactical Battle Mode, Active Battle Mode, etc.). Then all of the monster/map/skill/etc. parameter settings would be adjusted for use within that battle system as the game is created. Again... pipe dream and probably better supported via plugins... but since most of the battle systems out there are still incomplete/buggy at times... I would love to see this feature officially implemented. FWIW... MOST improvements mentioned are being accomplished by plugins within the community... battle systems are the most difficult to come by (or incomplete) by a large margin. So... largest pipe dream (yes) but also perhaps largest need in the community. My $0.02. :)

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally would just want a more functioning Mac version with the bugs fixed. Right now you can literally get locked into one place no matter what you click the event window stays there and you can’t do nothing forcing you to run activity monitor and force quit the application. There are many other bugs to. That’s just the worst one. MV was supposed to support Mac natively but it’s not really working 100% yet tbh lol

So I guess mine would have to be ACTUAL support for Mac version of MV.

MrBowser

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I find it really hard to work on RPG MAKER projects with multiple people, it might be super helpful to make the engine/product more group project friendly rather than solo person oriented

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Dungeonmind the issue is mac depreciated opengl which mv depends in. There's probably no fix now short of starting over with the entire engine in how it is programmed

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp Well that is unfortunate. However, I do think there is a way to fix some of the bugs to at least make it usable on Mac. It's very close to being fine for use, its just got a few quirks they need to fix. But I don't want to derail the topic any further, its just something that I really have been excited for was rpg maker coming to Mac! I guess I can deal with the bugs I'll just make backups more consistently.

IF I had to choose something else I would have to say the 3D Labyrinth idea was very cool and I was sad to see it never come to fruition. This would be really fun so we can make Etrian Odyssey type of games to. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

being able to transition music seamlessly is amazing. my main character's theme has lyrics and it goes from vocal version to istrumental when he leaves his room. and vice versa. and thanks to a plugin, the transition is seamless. I love it.
All of the auditions for our game are so good, I'm so glad I'm not in charge of choosing completely. lol I just can't with some of them. I listen to them on repeat. XD
Working on a Patch to integrate AlphaABS into random generated Dungeons. Was a bit tricky, but the outcome is a real Life Changer!!

Will release it the next days!
Been pretty busy... but I got a better headset for recording and listening today. Dad says that he'll consider taking me to Great Wolf Lodge for the first time once I finish summer classes (my final semester!) I'll be taking my plushie friends with me: Bendy, Lolbit, and Helen Henny. (I WUV PLUSHIES!)
SF_Monster3,4 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mezzy