What One Thing In RPG Maker Would You Like To See?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by RPGMakerWeb, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Holder

Holder Loading... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've always felt like moving away from the way XP handled all graphics was a step back, it made things a little easier for new creators but slashed flexibility for content creators.
    To limit my suggestion to one thing I'd feel it's best to group it together.

Handling of all graphics would mean>
    Tileset graphics= One tilesheet - multiple layers for mapping with the single tilesheet - separate autotiles - unlimited height of tilesheet.
    Character graphics= 4x4 frames - single sheets per character -
    Icon graphics= individual images for each icon
    battlebacks= individual images
    battlers= assigning a single image to each character/enemy (visually rather than script note thing)

I've seen a lot of advancement over the many years of RPG Maker but this has always had me using XP over anything newer. I even test my animated battlers within XP because importing and exporting with battle testing is far quicker and a much simpler process. When I used to make tilesets, again it was a much more pleasant experience.
    It says a lot if people use outside programs to create maps (like TileD) or use tile images to create a picture of a 'map' and import it as a background.
    Everything else is pretty much handled as outside flexible aspects, like scripts to split up the battler image into 4 frames of 12 poses for example. The core restricted limits have been put into the engine since VX.

I dunno I might be rambling but to condense this down it seemed like Graphic handling seemed to just become how much can be squashed together in a lump, rather than having the end user choose what they'd like to include.

One thing that'd move me away from using XP and I'd like to see in RPG Maker? Handling of Graphics.

2. Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt Mega Man Volnutt Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Weakness or strength indicator. If you hit an opponent with an element its weak to it will say WEAK but if you hit an opponent with an element its resistant to it will say RESIST

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    D.L. Yomegami and bgillisp like this.
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Dungeonmind : I think honestly one idea that might help is a native MAC engine. One that was built from the ground up to work on MAC. Not sure if it could keep deploy for PC though, but it *should* be possible...or so I'd think.

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kouske this thread is for giving ONE suggestion. Please edit your post to have just the feature you rhink is most important to you.

EDIT
    @Mega Man Volnutt the same applies to your post.

5. Mega Man Volnutt

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Alright i chose the one that cant be done with plugins. then again plugins nowadays are pay to use so idk.

Wait is this for the next RPG maker or this RPG maker?

6. Dungeonmind

Dungeonmind Lvl 4000 Humanoid Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Mega Man Volnutt this maker.

@bgillisp That actually sounds like a good idea only I dont know if they would actually do it as there core base of users seems to be on windows. All though, you never know if that would change if they actually did that.

7. Mega Man Volnutt

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ok. I changed it again. The previous would be neat for the 2nd but i dont really wanna drive off sales for POP!

8. SyntaxSandbox

SyntaxSandbox Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Make it open source so I can add my own features.

Faherya likes this.
  9. DantonSlip

DantonSlip Commissions open. Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    1. Be able to set up as many frames as we want for animations. Or at least be able to choose between: 3 | 6 | 12 frames.
    2. Multilayers, like RMXP, but with 4 layers. Same tileset settings as in RMXP. Be able to have infinite heigh tilesets like in RMXP.
    3. Isometric view

10. Joke

Joke Graphist | Dev | Composer Member

First Language:
    French
    Pixel movement.

11. Solarius

Solarius Warper Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would really like to see the official support of combat rows (for both enemies and heroes), to make for example a second row where characters can't get hit before first row characters are dead.
    I would also like more complex targeting for skills (for example, making a skill which targets both allies and enemies, a skill which targets every characters having the given status ailments, a skill targeting all enemies on the rear row, etc)

Thank you all for this wonderful piece of software !

12. Skriddle

Skriddle Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    *Removal of tilesheet restrictions for a tileset type; or at least a lot more than ABCDE
    *Layers like XP
    *Grid-free mapping/something with more freedom than the current if desired
    *ABS
    *More proportional stock tiles relative to other stock tiles

Lion Blade Soler likes this.
  13. Kingdommangas

Kingdommangas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would like to propose this:
    - BDD gestion par excel or equivalence
    I'm the type who think first in my game before start but after finish to polish and banlanced my BDD I have to put in the software one by one :kaosigh:.
    I see a plugin who do create a excel and import to the RPG Maker but it's not available anymore. I think it's a good think to add this king of feature

- A ressource manager for the generator
    Since VX Ace the generator is now customizable, but why can't we add more graphic without go through all the folder in our computer ?

-- For the generator, have the npc available natively
    -- For the generator, have the hability to choose the format of the sprite 48*48/48*96 or custom

It's a grid after all, the battler or character fits to the heigh picture so why not ? With that we can create a big character generator or a small one.

- Multi layer mapping
    I start with CX Ace so I never use XP but a see some video and I find sad that the multi layer dissapear, I really would like to change my ground without destroying the rest of my map. Well, I have my technique now but I still think the layer would be great.

- Option gridd pixel by pixel
    There is in the obscur option "Grid" who nobody or few know how to use it XD. This option create a grid in your screen that can be useful to see the final screen of the game for the mapping, but this grid size is calculate by 48*48.
    Today, many maker use plugin to upgrade their screen size to 1080*720 for exemple but this size not fit 48*48 so can we have a grid really corresponding to our needs ? :kaoluv:

- Picture zoom connect to a variable
    I really apreciate if I can display a life bar without using script because I cannot using variable in the zoom picture.

- Script option in activation event
    Well, all is in the line :kaopride:

- Add a better control for the keyboard and the controller
    Today many game is play with this two essential objects but surprisingly we dosen't have many way to control it.
    I would like to set my keyboard and my controller without plugin when their exist.
    There is no really good plugin who can set a controller now, we have the basic but if we want to add more then it's not possible with the controller and with plugin with the keyboar. I think it's sad :kaocry:

I hope my english is not too bad, thank you for reeding :kaoblush:

14. XPKobold

XPKobold Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Well one thing that needs to be said while this wasn't in the PC RPG Makers but was in the console one mainly RPG Maker (PS1)
    Were the sample dungeon maps. (don't mean ones like in VXace/MV.) Actual ones that really did help cut time down on mapping considering there was an actual tower one that really did help a bit with variety.

15. JDevain

JDevain Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    a better framerate.

16. waynee95

waynee95 Lunatic Coder Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Extensible editor. Allow plugin makers to extend the editor itself. Allowing to add new menus, buttons, event commands, etc ...

EDIT: Remove other suggestions...

17. Green_Slime

Green_Slime A Slime Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    re-editable layers, so you don't have to rework if you decide to change below layers

18. Lion Blade Soler

Lion Blade Soler Villager Member

That's a possibility and you may have a point, but even if that could happen at a later time, it would be more practical to have the tilesets that are exclusive to RMMV Trinity as part of the upgrade package, especially since there are other graphics that are exclusive to Trinity. Among those other graphics that are exclusive to Trinity are the Foreground Parallax graphics; even though the Foreground Parallax/Fog function can be implemented with a plugin, Trinity brought that RMXP function back and it saves time from doing a plugin for that function as well as from creating Foreground Parallax graphics (let alone, trying to convert the Fog graphics from RMXP). That's why the one thing that I would like to see is a Trinity upgrade. The Trinity upgrade would cover a number of functions and assets that RMMV doesn't currently have and that are exclusive to Trinity.

19. Green_Slime

Green_Slime A Slime Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    And supporting multiframe character sprite by default

Lion Blade Soler and PixelHeart like this.
  20. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just so people know, even though you aren't seeing official replies to this thread, we are still reading it. I'm writing proposals for a lot of things mentioned right now. :) :).

I just don't want to single anything out.