What One Thing In RPG Maker Would You Like To See?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by RPGMakerWeb, Oct 27, 2019.

1. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Touchfuzzy - Awesome! X3 ... I hope you guys will be able to tell us what your cooking up soon.

2. bazrat

bazrat Pixel Game Maker MV Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Many good ideas here. To not repeat any (I think), I would also suggest:

- Letting the editors "Event Editor" window be more flexible. For instance be able to resize the window, be able to have multiple windows open for different events. Right now there is a lot of, oh forgot what I did here, exit event, look at other event, reenter event, find spot that needed edited. The current combat for this is to have 2 projects open. One for your referencing and code dumps and one for the actual project. I feel it could be enhance greatly just allowing for multiple windows and being able to resize windows as needed. I would also suggest this for common events as well!

- Along same lines, instead of a small little script section for conditional branches and other areas, allow something to where a script box pops up and allows the user some resizing options of this box so that putting in long scripts (I use some very long scripts in conditionals) isnt as tedious. This would go for the normal script event command, allow resizing.

- Implement a projectile system similar to Galvs built into the engine. With galvs and a pixel movement thats all you would need to make default RM have an abs system

- A search for label/comment. Similar to how you can search for say a common event name. Would really be useful on those long events

So many more but can't have it all xD

3. Restart

Restart Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Having an option (but NOT an autorun function) to scan through all events in a project and check if the files referenced in them exist would be nice (along with letting you instantly snap to whatever the event is with missing files).

4. Holder

Holder Loading... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That's cool to know, it's quite a comparison to years gone by where things like this wouldn't go any further than a wish list topic.

5. AfroditeOhki

AfroditeOhki Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I didn't read all replies, so sorry if this has been mentioned, but I got a very simple one:

Let us walk behind lower walls. Like, in the inside of a building.

Like it only lets you get here:
    upload_2019-11-5_14-56-24.png

And then I have to use a mix of plugin + tileset kitbashing to let my character go here:
    upload_2019-11-5_14-57-1.png

Just because it annoys me so much that the character wouldn't be able to reach the wall like that.

Also, please make the "Exclude unused files" in Deployment consider files used by plugins and other sources too.

MusicalSamurai likes this.
  6. Robert Trent

Robert Trent Level Designer Member

First Language:
    English/Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The first things that comes in my mind when I think about RPGMaker VXAce are:
    -Being unable to have more than 5 tileset (when it wouldn't be a huge issue to extend them until letter Z).
    -The impossibility to overlap tiles from the same layer (either RPGMaker XP & MV got that feature).
    -The quite unstable framerate and in general the process calculation.

Probably someone else highlighted these limitations already but these are the only things that come to my mind at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @AfroditeOhki : Exclude unused files already works as you suggest *IF* plug-in writers add something to the plug-in so it properly registers it. The issue is many plug-in writers have refused to add that for various reasons, which is why it is not working as well as some like. Not sure what the RPGMaker dev team can do to fix that though since it is already there, the plug-in writers are just choosing to not use it that way.

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lot of people not reading the actual thread title.

What ONE thing would you like to see?

Means if you have a list of things, and could only choose one of them, which one would you choose? Which ONE of your many requests would be the most awesome to have?

There is already another thread for "what's your entire wishlist?"

9. Restart

Restart Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Finding out why plugin authors don't use it sounds like a good thread topic, to be honest.

10. PhxFire

PhxFire The Eternal Flame Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I skimmed through and didn't see it but I would like to see a centralized element system, so you can set elemental strengths and weaknesses in your data base and have them applied throughout the game without having to set them for each individual enemy.

11. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    probably mentioned before but my 1 thing : More tile-set sheets instead of the limited 5 would be a HUGE help! :)

12. MusicalSamurai

MusicalSamurai Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please Forgive me for flicking through quickly, someone may have mentioned this... but my one thing I'd like to see is:

Have Events be able to directly check Game Constants (example: Steps Taken, Character Level & Current X,Y Positions) without needing to use an In Game Variable to first assign this data to and without needing to use JS such as $gameParty().leader().level

(I personally like scripting in JS but I think some things might just be 'nicer' to have as a clean direct option) :)

Shaz likes this.
  13. Kingdommangas

Kingdommangas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The possibilité to start the game without pass by the Title Screen.
    For play test or for custom

14. AfroditeOhki

AfroditeOhki Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There's a free plugin by Archeia that does that. (I realize that this is a request to make this feature come already packed with RM, but perhaps if you didn't know about it, it might be useful to you)

15. tale

tale Volunteer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Kingdommangas As in Skip Title screen? There's a plugin available in dlc folder
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RPG Maker MV\dlc
    In RPGmakerWeb_plugins inside Yami folder: Yami_SkipTitle.js
    Feature of having an option to skip title in database editor for System (Title Screen) would be convenient.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  16. Kingdommangas

Kingdommangas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks @tale and @AfroditeOhki I know and already use Skip Title, but I think it's strange that wasn't in the software to begin with.

17. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I got a new one, will post it separately for a separate vote:

-Remove or raise the map limit. I know that the odds you will need more maps that the limit is really low, but I think the limit being 999 is offputting to people, especially when they start out. If we want to still run with our expression simple enough for a child, we need to allow for poor map efficiency when starting out, which may cause one to go over 999 maps easily (especially if you do one map per inside area).

I propose we raise it to 2000. Today's computers can handle it, and a map file is not that much space on the HD honestly. And I know the database can handle it as we have other parts (items, weapons, etc) able to go to 2000 now. For consistency, let's raise all of them to 2000, just to avoid having a limit of 1000 here, 2000 there, and so on.

And yes, I know the odds you will need even 999 maps is slim to none if you know what you are doing. But the way we advertise this engine I think we need to allow better for non-efficient solutions, and raising it would allow people to not be intimidated by the limit as much and once they get developing they will learn (hopefully) how to better handle things.

Aloe Guvner and PixelHeart like this.
  18. Restart

Restart Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why have it capped in the first place?

One of the major reasons Frankie (whose game has now been picked up by Devolver) stopped using RPG Maker and recoded his entire RPG in game maker, is that RPGM didn't have enough database slots for monsters, and if you can't use the database why bother?

19. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I find that hard to believe as MV has 2000 slots. How in the world did he use 2000? Even if you took two FF games and combined them I don't think you'd get 2000 monsters.

2000 troops...that might be more possible, if you try to randomize some combos and such.

But I do know that *everything* has to have some cap, just due to how computers work. If not in the engine it will be forced by the 64 bit OS (or 32 bit OS if you are still using one). Granted, the cap is huge on those, for 32 bit it is around 4 billion, but it is still there.

20. Restart

Restart Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't remember all the details on whether it was monsters/troops, it was in his stream a yearish ago, but Frankie has a *lot* of monsters (Dude's an absolute art MACHINE - he made over two thousand unique weapon sprites for Barkley 2).

In general, hardcoding in additional limits that are below what's technologically possible is a bad idea. If users never hit it, the limit has literally no impact, and coding it was a waste of time. If users do hit it, you've spent developer time making the editor act in a way that's both frustrating and arbitrary.

Technologically, Javascript's language limits probably are constraining what MV can do, and for JS Number.MAX_SAFE_INTEGER is like 2^53 or something, so even if you made one thousand monsters per second, you'd still be able to keep going for almost three hundred millennia without running into any sort of technological limit. So if it was at anything approaching what's technologically feasible, I'd say it would be literally impossible to hit the limit by actually making monsters.