What One Thing In RPG Maker Would You Like To See?

8bitBartabas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finnuval and others mentioned tilesets, and I'm going to have to agree with that. The one thing I'd love to have is a mapping system similar to TileD.

I know that's a tall order, but some improvements in mapping like integrated doodads and multiple layers and tilesets for a single map would be amazing.

AcousticJamm

YouTuber
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are many things I'd like to see. One of the things I'd like to see most?

One of the things I'd like to see most is actually a feature in Deltarune. During the cutscenes, Toby Fox made it so the individual characters in the party moved. I would like to replicate that.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Moving events. How would you propose to move the actual party members? It would require the engine to already create events, and you'd have to control them the exact same way as you do now. Plus now the events would be there always and hogging memory.

Now if you mean native move the followers, THEN that is something I could see a need for, as they are already on map too, but we can't move them around without plug-ins.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Moving events. How would you propose to move the actual party members? It would require the engine to already create events, and you'd have to control them the exact same way as you do now. Plus now the events would be there always and hogging memory.

Now if you mean native move the followers, THEN that is something I could see a need for, as they are already on map too, but we can't move them around without plug-ins.
He means the moving your followers around bit. Being able to have them leave the caterpillar for a while, then walk back into it is pretty complicated as is - you basically have to turn the 'real' followers invisible and intangible, spawn clone events that look like them, have those clones move around, and when you're done with your little cutscene, have clones path back to the location of the invisible real followers, rotate to face the same way, turn the followers visible and tangible and delete the clone events. Which is pretty roundabout.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That also does not consider party members not showing in the followers. For those there you *must* use events. Even a native fix to move followers wouldn't address that. But I can see what they mean, but you will want to word it as ability to move followers, as party members can mean people not in the battle party too but still in the party (which is how I interpreted it).

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Woah I missed that one. So many posts.

If no one suggested it yet, and because it hurts a lot, Yanfly DLC pack in here and on Steam. ^^;
(yeah I know, it seems pretentious but I guess even some of us who don't use them a lot might pick it up really fast.)

Martin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
swe
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1 .Inbuilt mechanics for when events collide with each other and recognise what events collided.
2. Layers like XP.

V_Aero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
These can be done with plugins but still would be nice:

- More Self Switches
- Self Variables
- Event Cloning, Spawning, Delete..
- More Dual Wield Options
- Better Mapping

Ardonie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if we could add interractions between events and zone detections around events, without plugins, that would be great! Also, being able to give a "type" to our event, just like the tiles do but for events, and we could do mass stuff like "delete all type 2 events".
local variables are also for me a must have.
And finally.... the XP tilemap system was great, why Unterbrain change it ?! I still don't understand...
Maybe one more layer would not be negligible.
possibility to make A-RPG (battle on map like Zelda) or tactical RPG

Last edited:

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i read over a fair bit of these pages..

one thing that strikes me as concerning, is the number of people suggesting absolutely dumb things. like, tiny little things that are of no significance in the grand picture..

For example, people suggesting that you add meta notetag data into the editor, or that silly limits are removed... Like, SERIOUSLY?!?! this is what you would do if you were given control? you suck! ~sorry, not meaning to insult anyone, but c'mon, really?!

Just for arguments sake, instead of thinking about some dumb feature that might benefit some people here and there. Why not think of what would benefit the largest number of users the most! Here are a few examples from my head:..

1 - make the entire thing open source on github. This would allow any developer to submit code changes which would over time, improve all aspects of the engine, the default codebase, the editor.. People would be able to see exactly how everything was implimented in the editor, and be able to make plugins for both game and editor... i mean, most of the money already been made by the engine, its likely graphic assets etc keeping y'all afloat at this point.. and that would likely continue anyway :)

2 - allow for developers/programmers to suggest/vote on the most concerning issues, or upgrades that should be made, and then offer some kind of bounty/reward system to encourage people to tackle these issues... For example, a number of well known graphical artists have commented on how the limitations of the editor/engine restricts their workflow in some way. Opting instead to user older version of the software, and even worse - EXTERNAL software!!! Any time a developer is not spending in the mv engine, degrades the usefulness of the mv engine. (imo) So why not offer some bounties in the form of either cash, or maybe even store credit would be enough for some folks to be enticed. Then all us developers that left for various reasons might actually have a reason to return and do things for the community again. I know for sure that a lot of good programmers just stopped with rpg maker as a whole because they felt irrelevant and like their work meant nothing. This kind of thing could potentially help repair some of those bridges :)
And I mean, the graphic artists are still here, but even they are admitting to using other software... that seems like a matter of time kinda thing tbh...

3 - actually think of what will benefit users most, instead of trying to limit and hinder everything, encourage things to be experimented with and broken. The number of times i've been told in the past something i was working on wouldnt work due to limitations of editor/engine, or that what i was doing to overcome those limits was against the eula... i honestly have lost count lol

I guess all of my suggestions have a common theme too: listen to your users, think about what will actually benefit them long term, and offer incentives to encourage regular members of the community to contribute towards the overall development of both the engine and the editor.

Mucho luverinos :*

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just want a working basic card game function lol

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
More flexible Shop Options. Specialy the buying and selling Prices. Sell only Shops. Buy only Shops.Shops Buying only certain Items.
Limiting amount of certain items, connecting amount and price of certain items to a game variable or giving Shops individual ids and every shop id can have its own variables which still remain globaly accesable. Or something like Actor Classes but for Shops. Eventcommands or Scriptline to add or remove new items from the shop or to adjust the prices.
Just more flexible than it is now.

Last edited:

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know if this says something about the mature state of RMMV's engine, available assets, and available plugins or my own lack of imagination/ambition but...this is one vote for RPG Maker does everything I need it to do already and anything it doesn't already do that I might need it to, I have a pretty good idea how to accomplish with available resources.

Bex: buy only and sell only shops have been a thing since rm2k. Did they take those features away for some reason?

EDIT: Actually, it would be cool if the option to have your followers move independently (or at least turn independently) and be targeted by things like animations and emote balloons would be pretty sick to have as an inbuilt feature.

Gamer6688

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The ability to choose different Sprite styles (8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, various other Maker styles, etc) and make games in each.

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Any new info about whats going on with this stuff, and RMMV? :3

V_Aero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1 - make the entire thing open source on github. This would allow any developer to submit code changes which would over time, improve all aspects of the engine, the default codebase, the editor.. People would be able to see exactly how everything was implimented in the editor, and be able to make plugins for both game and editor... i mean, most of the money already been made by the engine, its likely graphic assets etc keeping y'all afloat at this point.. and that would likely continue anyway :)
This is the one thing I really really wish. It is so difficult for me as plugin developer to always find workarounds using Notetags because there are no methods to extend the Maker itself.
But I dont think this will happen. The RMMV is commercial; it may be possible to have a commercial AND open source program, but it is unlikely.

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The ability to pin open windows to the interface, or keep them pinned/minimized. One super obv use for this is for when you're viewing the help file for a plugin. Flipping back and forth, copying/pasting, or having to have a text editor with the help file or a web browser with the help file open is a pain.

this would be useful for a lot of other things, like working in the database. There are plenty of time where I'd like to be looking at two or more of the tabs at once, making edits in both or even just using one as a reference

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The RMMV is commercial; it may be possible to have a commercial AND open source program, but it is unlikely.
Android. ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Love it when someone confuses "RPG Maker (or script/plugin) has a bug" with "I didn't set it up right and it's not working as I want (or gives an error)"
Is animation really as hard as I think it is?
Out of sudden, snow. Everywhere.
Blech. I hate coming up with stories. Making gameplay is fun but coming up with lore and reasons for these areas/mechanics just makes me sleepy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanaya07