What One Thing In RPG Maker Would You Like To See?

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you were given control of the development of future updates of RPG Maker, what would be the biggest priority for you to add or change, and how would you make it work?

Tell us in the replies, and be sure to like your favorite suggestions!
More built in assets, for beginners who haven't found the forums and dont want to pay for official addons.
(not sayin im either of these, its just my thoughts)

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Considering how RPG Maker had been in the past, putting it in GitHub and open source is highly unlikely (besides I don't think it's a mindset for ppl in higher-ups in Japan), so I probably will never have that hope. Yes, RMMV is kinda open source, but the EULA restricts us to use the terrible editor, which is, well, no. The first step is to make the editor editable or something.

dnel57

dnel57
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Being able to choose your troop and select a battlback for it so that wherever you put that troop, that will be the battle back for it. Want the same troop on a different terrain? Make another troop and change the battle back and region number.
More options for event conditions : weapon or armor exists instead of only items,.

dragon1up

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fix the problems (lag, screen tearing, etc.) with AMD graphics cards. I know it's not a completely universal issue, but they seem common enough and they're extremely frustrating. I'm really tired of having to pick between good performance and 1.6.1+ exclusive plugins for my games because I don't have any other options for a computer.

That's one thing I'd love to have improved in general just better AMD support...I have some plugins that should work but just don't because AMD...

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Took me a while to think of stuff, as VX Ace is my jam and MV improves upon it in a few ways. But thinking on this, two things come to mind.

1) Being able to turn certain stats on and off, especially given the ability to assign custom formulae to damage and such. A lot of people (such as myself) tend to either disable Luck at a minimum, and for my current game project I'm debating on just ATK/MAT/AGI or ATK/DEF/MAT/AGI.

There are ways to make AGI and LUK more useful without putting them into the core editor (Yanfly's "Extra Paramater Formulas" scripts and plugins, for instance), but having the option to tweak some core stats could be cool if possible. Removing AGI might be finicky as it affects turn order, while LUK doesn't seem to have that big an impact? I tried to give every actor and enemy the same stat, with action speed for skills and attacks modifying the randomness; it was serviceable but not great?

It could also allow players to do whatever the hey RMXP tried to do with stats, heheh. But maybe give the caveat of it being for more advanced users, IDK.

2) More RTP battlers, I am a sucker for new enemies. 2k3 had many, many foes to pick from, and some of the 2k/3 enemies are sorely missed (golems, for instance ;-; ). That said the selections from VX/Ace and MV are good, especially with the sci-fi enemies added to MV. But I just want moar, because I'm greedy for monsters and baddies to fight.

Also a nitpick, but I feel the baseline fantasy monsters in the RTP for MV are a bit... kawaii. The biggest reason I snatched up the FES resource pack for MV was for its varied battlers in that awesome VX/Ace adjacent art style.

Last edited:

Aloe Guvner

Walrus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
one thing that strikes me as concerning, is the number of people suggesting absolutely dumb things. like, tiny little things that are of no significance in the grand picture..

For example, people suggesting that you add meta notetag data into the editor, or that silly limits are removed... Like, SERIOUSLY?!?! this is what you would do if you were given control? you suck! ~sorry, not meaning to insult anyone, but c'mon, really?!
This is a disrespectful tone. You could explain your point of view without doing it this way.

I believe that putting metadata into the editor has a high effort-to-benefit ratio for the developers. When this question was posed (what do you want to see added to RPG Maker) there are going to be huge, almost impossible requests, and there are going to be smaller, more reasonable requests. Adding metadata to the editor is the latter, and which is more likely to actually happen than a fanciful wish.

As it currently stands, using a notetag for metadata is basically a hack and clutters the true purpose of a notetag (which is to take notes). Additionally, in the support forums you see countless examples of people's project plugins not working because they missed a ">" in the notetag or didn't know they needed quotes around one value but not another. This is extremely frustrating especially for newcomers (try to remember what it was like being a beginner with an unfamiliar software).

1 - make the entire thing open source on github. This would allow any developer to submit code changes which would over time, improve all aspects of the engine, the default codebase, the editor..
I agree in principle, and other engines have made this work (I can't remember if we're allowed to mention other engines by name), however, they have a different revenue model than MV. Hopefully there's a chance to change on this front but it's more of a cultural question than a technical one.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
yes, it is.

As for notetags, you can partially blame that on the older makers script writers. that was how they deemed it easiest to add custom parameters to the game objects. The remainder of the blame lies with mv developers, for not implementing a better means of custom parameter information for things.. Its as simple as having an option in the editors parameter window of objects that adds a name and value pair to each object. That really isnt a hard feat tbh... And imo, not something that actually benefits the majority of users, because alllll the plugins written until now have used notetags (granted, not all, but you get what im saying). You think all those developers are suddenly going to update all their previous plugins just because a new option was added to the editor? i dont! Some would be, but not even 90% of plugins i'd bet.

Thus, its a totally pointless addition. Where as, if the entire thing was made open source, that small change could be added easily, along with many many other changes that would actually benefit users.

Funevill

Idiot
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I especially think they should test the software before publishing, like asking the developers to make a game with (individually and without helpers) and as they progress through their games they would realize that they need resources that are not in the software and then they add them and then once they've emptied the possibilities and finished their games they can publish the new RPG Maker.

At least then we won't need any help from the community at all.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Funevill Your suggestion implies that you think that the existing engines were not tested before being released. That is simply not true.

Nor is it true to say that more extensive testing would remove the need for help from the community to make a game. Have a look at the Support threads. People are not asking for help because the engine has not been tested but because they don't know how to accomplish what they want to do.

HeyItsKidd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Funevill - It sounds like you're wanting the base/vanilla version of RPGMaker to contain every potential sprite/mechanic/song/etc you could possibly want, which would raise the price astronomically.

As for me, I just want more generator parts, specifically clothes. It seems like something that'd be relatively easy, but I'm not good at spriting, so I'd really love the ability to purchase (or get for free!) some stuff like:

-Gothic/Victorian clothes
-Modern/Casual Clothes (It's kinda crazy that I need to use fan-made stuff for "T Shirt & Jeans")
-Futuristic Clothes (a la Xenosaga)
-Magical Girl-esque outfits

anjasa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) Stock quantity for stores
2) More flexibility for maps, especially in regards to stacking items and passability
3) Item uses that can be used out of combat
4) Integrated time / day / night / month / light system
5) I would love psd sheets of the maps with layers enabled for easier editing

Lars Ulrika

I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
I guess my main focus would be to ensure easy and well rounded exportation to android and iphone. Also a return to the map editor of rpg maker xp that was allowing for so much more even though I like rpg maker vx ace and mv for their simplicity.

GumboSoup

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Flexible tile sizes is definitely number one request for me as well. A lot of other stuff can be addressed via plugins and some basic programming but tile sizes should really be done within the engine. Especially considering how popular retro style pixel art games are and how much this would help in making RPG Maker games look more varied and less cookie-cutter.

On a side note, considering the history of RPG Maker in general it seems to me the developers are a tad too keen on following current fashions - and if you try to chase fashions you are sure to always be behind. Imho, the core idea of giving a working engine, game mechanics and all, for total newbies to toy with is quite solid. However just a little bit more flexibility within the engine itself for users that are just a bit more advanced than complete beginners would go a long way in making RPG Maker a tool which can be seriously considered by serious developers (you know the kind of people who don't have problems with cashing out for DLCs...) as well as future-proofing it to a degree.

Last edited:

anjasa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, I've changed my mind. If I could have one thing it would be the ability to bulk edit events. I just realized that for every door I have, I have the common events out of order, and need to go through and update every single one. I would so love an ability to have a multi-line find and replace option for all events.

Windyhouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If anything in a new maker, I'd like the more versatile picture controls from 2003 back. Being able to define pictures as spritesheets and animate them, or use variables to get the picture name, and not having to use any scripting is really nice. And the wait for input in a wait command, also from 2003. Pretty much just the event commands that 2003 had that later makers don't.

The Mighty Palm

Resident Palm Tree
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Idk if it's been mentioned yet, but I really miss the ability from 2k3 to assign a skill to an item/weapon/armor/etc.
For instance if you make a Fire Staff weapon, you could make it cast Fire 1 when you use it as an item in battle.
Or make a really weak Glass Shield that isn't very good stat-wise but casts Reflect on the party when used as an item.

This can be done with scripts or a plugin if you really want it I guess, but I always wondered why this feature was removed in the first place.

Kingdommangas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The possibilities to store more game data in variable like X:Y map coordinate in pixels.
The possibilities to use variable in zoom picture.
:kaoslp:

EDIT:
The possibilitie to choose a minimal and maximal step for random battle.
Today, you can choose only the maximal number so if you put 30, your player can have a battle between 1 and 30 steps in theorie.
But with bad luck your player can have a battle every 3 or 5 steps, if I can choose a minimal number to, I can control much better this system.

Last edited:

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a very selfish requirement, but hey....

I would love it if in the "Common Event" dropdown menu, we could set the order in which events appear, or we could just generally reorder the common events list. NALE has got to Chapter 3 now and I have around 170 common events; generally the more-often-used stuff is higher but if I could reorder the list, it'd save me a lot of time and be more convenient.

Obviously the event numbers have to stay the same (as I believe that's how they're referenced), but it'd be great if we could reorder them in the UI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I'm so excited! I've been exploring MZ a little, and I just downloaded Effekseer to make new animations. I have experience in 3D animation software, so I'll be pretty good at the whole "particle" thing. My first game on MZ will be Fantasy Force--starring a griffin, a dragon, and a pegasus fighting against the Dragon of Darkness.
currently listening to Driftwood Gaming streaming some MZ dev time and it's delightful! had no idea they were this entertaining, love it
In quarantine, will be tested soon. This year is really something... special.
I was at another orientation yesterday and I realized I'll be working with an old friend! We met at the local water park a few years back and it was so nice to see her again! We had a chat, and next week when I officially start, I'll see if maybe we can trade our Zoom IDs so we can talk!
I made some sideview closets for MV!
You can find them in my MV resource thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmc1980