What part of your game do you usually work on first?

Mikachip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm an artist before I became interested in game development, which is why I chose rpg maker as the game engine since I have no coding knowledge. When I started making my game, I learned the basics of rpg maker mv then started working on the art of the game: character portraits, sprites etc, before I tackle how to create the mechanics.

So I'm wondering what's other people's approach to starting their games? (Past the initial idea phase of course) Do you finish your map first? Do you write events first? Or do you do a little bit of everything all the time? Personally, I want to finish the artworks and maps first before I even jump into the more complicated stuff.

Germelshausen

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Generally, after the idea phase, I try to refine the idea and omit things that the game can do without. Got a side-character who has no other purpose than to say a few lines of dialogue, kick them out and use someone else. A game mechanic that can be simplified further? Do it!
Work smarter, not harder as they say!:kaojoy:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
story, characters, mechanics (and ideas to plan ahead)
mapping the world (it's a pain if you can map though)
than impliment the mechanics you made or have ideas on how
the mechanics works.

than fill in the rest of events and story (that is the way I do it anyway :)

but while I'm no artist as well, it takes some time, but everyone has
their own methode :)

so you really should see what fit yours most.

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I do a little bit of everything to not get bored, but i mostly begin with World Building as that is the part I like the most, and it can also change quite a lot of the other categories if changed. At least how I do it xD

Sometimes i begin with a mechanic idea and build the world around it to explain how it works, and then elaborate from there.

Cootadude

Noob with exp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I first get the core of the story written down then as I still get the story written and polished up while I get to work on the core elements of the game I'm also slowly drawing some sketches to work on art designs, I use a large amount of placeholders in this stage and when everything is programmed and stable enough to use, I begin the stage where I get the final drafts of the story written and I draw the final Art for CG's, Sprites, Tilesets, etc. Create the maps and program the cutscenes and do some other things like adding items, side-quests, etc. Then it would be the final stage where I do the final touches, bug testing, and possibly changing little bits of the story or any of the scripts then I just need to polish things up and I'm done.

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I do the game mechanics first. Probably because I'm a programmer, like Gameplay, and because I'm bad at story writing.

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I make shiny graphics, then I program something... Then I question all of my life decisions that have led up to this moment and if I should completely switch genres... Then I finally write something. :LZSwink:

OmnislashXX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know, it's alot of work. Sure the story is important but also how the game plays. it's important to know what works at what time before you commit to anything.

Warilized

Random Encounter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. Story, character design, database design, plugin planning.
2. Map design, game flow, eventing, game mechanic.
3. NPC, shop tidbits.
4. Mini games, achievements , others.

1 being the highest priority, 4 the least.

I personally do a little bit of other if I hit some stump designing the higher priority one. But the trick I use for designing a story is to have a clear starting point and clear ending point, for the journey, you can do whatever you want be it filler or mini games.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i tend to do mechanics, templates, skills, equipment and items 1st.
get the core of the database done and working then can use that database for couple tiny 'proof of concept' projects before combine it all into 1 colossal nightmare with a storyline.
then i figure out how want story's beginning, end and plot points.
then i start doing maps, events and side activities for the main project chapter by chapter.
would hate to want to have some key mechanic or feature tied to story or side activity but then part way in figure out that it would need massive tweaking to work.

Mikachip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I make shiny graphics, then I program something... Then I question all of my life decisions that have led up to this moment and if I should completely switch genres... Then I finally write something. :LZSwink:
lmao I'm just starting out and I'm already questioning if all the work is worth it or not
Generally, after the idea phase, I try to refine the idea and omit things that the game can do without. Got a side-character who has no other purpose than to say a few lines of dialogue, kick them out and use someone else. A game mechanic that can be simplified further? Do it!
Work smarter, not harder as they say!:kaojoy:
I have a hard time getting rid of things :kaocry:I definitely need to work on that. Thinking about the hours I put into something makes it so hard though.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Make something playable to test the water. Usually, proof of concept, creating a few skills, few gimmicks based on the planned mechanic from a drafting table, and one or a few enemies, then bosses. If I need to create the system before I could make something playable, then I would create the system at first.

Character art and other resources are the side tasks when I'm bored.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Art and worldbuilding first then i Just 'find' the characters and story xD

Lya

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I usually have an idea that keeps going back and forth in my head, then i will plan how the gameplay/mechanics will work alongside the story. Right after this point, i will be probably doing some concept art, as well establishing the characters, envisioning the scenes and writing dialogue.

Finally, i will block some levels and program all the events... From there, i will polish everything, revise, work in the final art, sound etc
That's it, i guess... (thinking)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Eyyy same here! Artist as well.
I actually approach my game differently every time I decide to work on it. (For the record, I'm trying to make a puzzle game).

Do I make a new art piece/asset for X area?
I'll spend today setting the layout of this dungeon, and coding comes tomorrow.
How do I finish this side quest?
Can I finish this by the end of today?

These are the kinds of ways I approach my game so that I don't get bored doing one thing everyday. I try to work on *something* to slowly make progress.

NoPiessadface

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
story > levels / map > art work (if needed)

Arctica

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Right now I'm just focusing on the details of the main character. Strengths, weaknesses, abilities and so forth.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
For me it's a constant mix of everything. I'm mainly an artist, so having something visual early is important for me.
I usually start with the idea and go quickly into the art, for me it's part of further developing the story.
If you apply the typical "there are two kinds of authors, architects and gardners"-discussion to gamedev, I'm for sure a gardener. I start with a seed and let it grow during development instead of planning everything out ahead like an architect would.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I usually try to figure the genre and general scenario for the game. Then I think of characters and setting so I know what type of world it takes place in. After that I try to figure out the main gameplay loop. After all of that I work on character designs and how they will look.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally got my website fixed and the security sorted so it's been a productive day. Can I go to sleep now? I mean... I don't need to work right?
It's always a good idea to refresh yourself on what your plugins do. I'm working on a map with opening walls, and I was about to tear my hair out over how much image editing and hand-constructing of autotiles I'd have to do, when I looked again and saw @Shaz 's Tile Changer could copy areas from another map.
"sorry it took me so long to respond" - can we please agree not to say that anymore unless it actually took a long time?! (Like 36hrs at least) I mean, I'm running out of funny responses here xD
Ugh... 4:53AM over here and I can't sleep so why not just game make.
I just love the MV feature that allows you to create your own animations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sardin