What part of your game do you usually work on first?

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Database organising and then character skill sets and combat mechanics.

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Initially the story and characters. Mapping then event scripting. Item creation as I'm inspired which I then will go back and refine countless times as the narrative universe is more fleshed out. I pepper in aesthetic system art, icons, sounds and so on as I go.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always start with a few rough maps, then add characters and events supporting my idea. From there things evolve organically as I expand and refine.

Lack of planning certainly costs me some time (for example, that moment when you realize you've made the same type of event 16 times and decide to roll it into a global), but I feel like developing from the hip unlocks more of my creativity.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always start with a few rough maps, then add characters and events supporting my idea. From there things evolve organically as I expand and refine.

Lack of planning certainly costs me some time (for example, that moment when you realize you've made the same type of event 16 times and decide to roll it into a global), but I feel like developing from the hip unlocks more of my creativity.
That's actually how I developed the social system for my game where one day I posed the question to myself, "Let's see if I have the skills to make a social sim?"

Tsunar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Story, characters and battle mechanics. If I cna get the battle system down, then its just plug and play you can insert enemies ect as you write out and event the story.

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Dungeon Maps > Database (at least half) > Game Mechanic ( not that I would make something unique ) > Eventing > Testing out. repeat until done.

I am not an artist or programmer so I left for polishing very very later time. Also I just need to fit story into the game cause i write anything on the way.

arsMori

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I usually start with a text document where I would list the story, world, characters, etc. so that when I go later stages (drawing assets, building maps) I would have something to go back on. Besides, most of my ideas come in the later development stages, which is why I start my story outline with only basic details.

I find it easier to start with visuals first. For me, things like making the maps and events are faster, so I would want to get the hard part out of the way first. I use the RTP as a placeholder material, but personally, I don't like seeing mixed art styles in my maps, so I aim to finish drawing first. Plus, my characters use tall sprites (48x96), so I have to make the perspective of my tiles look good with that too.

micoomer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Proof of concept, game mechanic, and making a few prototype beforehand to make some kind of rough imagining of what my game will look like. Story and character comes afterward.
I also like doing some UI designing, since I really like it :kaojoy:

Basileus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I start with a concept for story/gameplay. The first actual work I do is prototyping the core game mechanics. If I can't make something work, then it's back to the idea drawing board. If the core mechanics work, then I can make a vertical slice that samples everything the game will have.

Once I have an idea and some tested mechanics, then I do a sort of "Snowflake Method" where I start with just the start point and an event that triggers the ending, then add complexity from there. Start adding obstacles between the player and the ending, move the ending to another map, add another dungeon in between, etc. Doing this means that I can stop at any time and at least have something that functions. It's also a little easier to add depth to the story by adding more in-between bits as I think of them.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Player Classes (and thus, how combat will work in the game) and Story/Characters. Which is a bummer, because those are always the two things I'm the most indecisive about.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depends on the game, but more often then not, I start making maps and writing the story.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can do some work on getting the basics of your combat system if you like, but ultimately (and unfortunately, as I'm a mechanics kind of guy) the story is the most important thing to have down first. It affects so much: the maps you need to create, the variables and switches you need to have prepared, that it just creates a lot of extra work if you try to wing it or change it after you've started.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Battle mechanics 1st. I'll make the bare minimum of all other assets, such as an actor, enemy, and map so that combat can take place. They're mostly placeholders though. I set up the gist of the combat system and then start creating all the skills/spells for the game. This means I create the formulas at this point as well, fine-tuning as best as I am able. Oh, I also set up the skill tree system or any other core character mechanic at this point as well. After that, I fill the database w/ weapons & armor. Everything else, such as art, music, story, etc... takes a backseat to the aforementioned. I know this is far from ideal, but I'm neither an artist nor a writer. In fact, I've been going back and redoing my story several times. Even when it comes to art, I've been trying to find ways for me to make good sprites w/o doing any work, which I'm pleased to say I've recently found a method that suits me!

Last edited:

nankada

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Same as Milennin: database entries and skills, then mechanics.

For me, looking at numbers and naming items and skills help me brainstorm the story, which leads to charactercreation.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
personally, I tackle it by stages. Have the story first for sure. After that, I start to make maps, events, characters, and if needed graphics for that map, once that is done I make the next map, testing as i go, progress will probably feel slower but that's how I like to do it. Oh and area monsters for the maps too.

Therrao

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I'm aiming for more of story-driven game, then world concept and storyline. Mainly a grand scheme of the plot. Where things are going, and how it would end.
If it's for more gameplay-driven then gameplay (obviously), like how turn will be used and how skill works on each battle.

AssumedPseudonym

Lawful Neutral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The first thing I did on my current and first project was actually going through the soundtrack for inspiration. (…Kinda. It was more like going through the soundtrack and having inspiration crammed into my skull.) So, the first thing I really worked on was ideas for characters, locations, and plot events.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.
Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

I'm not sure how to do this so I'll just ask here, Wheres a good place to post your game (for free) once its done?
I don't know what I'm doing :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunn-official