What parts of RPG Maker development do you struggle with the most?

Which topic(s) do you struggle to work on most in your projects? (see OP for more info)

• Total voters

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a mostly solo developer, there is always a moment in development when all progress slows down or grinds to a halt. The reason this happens(at least in my case), tends to be because I've hit a point when I need to start working on an aspect of my project that I struggle with. This always demotivates me and is a big reason why my projects never get finished. This got me thinking, other developers probably also struggle with something in development, it'd be cool to talk about them and how you try to overcome them when it's time to deal with them.

In the poll I've added a few options for what aspect of game development in RPG Maker you might struggle with most. Here's a more detail explanation of each option: (you can pick up to three!)
  • Art - Anything visual in your project. This can be walk sprites, animations, battlers, windowskins, tilesets, icons, etc.
  • Sound - Anything auditory in your project. This can be SE, ME, BGS, BGM, etc.
  • Eventing/Scripting - Anything logic related in your project. This can be creating features using eventing or scripting.
  • Mapping - This is a kind of strange option, but basically anything related to making maps, like planning out tilesets or just creating a map itself.
  • Design - Making sure your game is understandable and playable. Making decisions which impact the experience the player will have. (balancing also counts)
  • Content(Databasing) - Broad topic, but basically coming up with content to fill in the gameplay. (Database items, armor, weapons, skills)
  • Story - Anything related to planning the story and implementing it. (dialogue also counts)
Let me know if I should add any options (I won't change or replace the current ones as that would mess up the current votes)!

Here's my example:
Things I struggle with in development:
  • Sound
    I'm just generally not good at making music, I can pick out existing songs, but I have problems deciding what kind of music to create for different circumstances.
    I tend to just stick with the pre-made music I've gotten from the makers or dlc.
  • Mapping
    This is a big one for me, anything related to mapping I suck at. I can never decide what tiles I need to make for a map, what the map should look like, what the base shapes should be, etc. I don't enjoy mapping because I can't imagine what I want them to look like.
    I try to block out maps before I add any detail, to see if playing through them is fun regardless of how they look. This makes it easier to change things up since you don't have to much detail yet!
  • Content
    Terrible at this. I can make the core gameplay, but when it comes to actually making different items, skills, etc I can't come up with anything most of the time.
    For this I think of the plot that supposed to happen in an area and then decide what items/skills would be necessary based on how many enemies you'll have to fight. Most of the time I come up with the whole amount for that area once it's all been mapped out and I've been able to playtest it.
You can go into more or less detail if you want, but it'd be awesome to know how you deal with your weaknesses and overcome them! :kaohi:

Last edited:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I probably struggle the most with mapping. I feel like I make pretty good maps when I put my mind to it, but I hate making maps. I find mapping to be the most tedious and boring part of the development process. Currently, I am using place holders maps in my project. I've thought about hiring someone to do the maps for me though.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Visuals for sure. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to sprites, animations, and tilesets, and I'm super new to drawing too

Trying to come up with ways to make the game look nice takes me a long time, and since visuals are so important, I can't really justify skimping out on them. I usually have to end up making concessions and settling on "decent enough" just so I don't drag out dev time too much

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My two main "run into wall" points seem to be events with extreme branching based on previous points (I do love C&C too much not to, though) and mapping. For the first one, making 16 permutations to one event can be exhausting. Like, I've got 300k+ words in my project, but a lot of that is from branching so it's not as long as you'd think. For the second I make decent maps, if I say so myself, if I have the right resources but the main problem is when I run into something I want to do and I realize that I don't have the resources to create it properly. Which in turn leads into either content creation if it's within my meagre drawing/editing skills or endless googling, which slows everything else down.

So, I'd mark "story branching" if that were an option.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mapping, not because I'm bad at it (somehow, I think it's one of my stronger points), but just because it's amongst my least favourite things in game making...
Oh, and also writing an actual story. I can't write anything beyond big bad evil exists, go beat up big bad evil.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Databasing is probably the thing I struggle with the most. Things such as: animations, creating interesting and engaging things (items, skills, foes, etc), as well as balancing in general, are what I leave till last because they cause a lot of frustration.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Database stuff is literally my favorite part. Sometimes I think I'm more into creating game mechanic systems than I am in actually making a game. First thing I do is create a bunch of battle system mechanics, get it all working how I want, then I lose interest for a few months. I've been doing it for years... :kaocry:

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've added story as an option! (somehow I forgot about this even though I struggle with it myself) :kaomad2:
Unfortunately I can't edit the previous poll choices' names, so 'Content' which is basically databasing, will still be called 'Content(Database items/armor/weapons/skills)'.

Thank you for all your responses! They're definitely making me feel better about my weaknesses in development.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I can't do art or sound. I have no talent for drawing and have no idea where to start with music.
Music usually does take some innate talent to get very far, but with art it's more trainable - I'd say art is mostly about learning a skill/muscle memory than about having talent.

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Art: Just because is not on my division. I have to wait for it to be done. But the result is amazing, so I cant complaint. Just that it gets in the way of progress sometimes.

Mapping: I cant map. Trying to learn this one. Gotta say that I like interior mapping, but exterior is... hard xD

Sound: Choosing what to use. I have lots of resources for OST, so deciding what to use is hard xD

My hobby is writting, so database or story are a given for me.

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here's mine:

Art - Is hard, yo. Even when I have help I still have to guide people by making my own art as a baseline. I am also completely incapable of doing tilesets.

Mapping - My second biggest problem in anything if only for it being a huge undertaking. It's hard to get a good balance of "gameplay" map and "looks pretty" map, since for me specifically I need both to be working correctly. I often have to use real life images as reference on how to build areas, but I also have to consider whether the space is being used correctly (not too big or too small) or if the way forward is readable for the player.

Any time a map is completed it's just a sigh of relief followed by a creeping "oh god I need to do the rest".

Design - The third most difficult part of any game dev work for me. I try to be clear and concise with the player at all times, as well as guide them with a mostly invisible hand so they're never lost. Trying to find that special balance between "barraging player with hints" and "letting player do things on their own" is always a great challenge for me since it often forces me to think in unconventional ways.

What would be obvious to me could completely fly over another person's head, so I always have to account for that.

This is especially relevant to story too, since I'm always aiming to invoke the right emotions for scenes.

Content - Hoo boy. Easily the most difficult part for me. Databasing isn't hard, just time consuming. I even find it kinda fun to think of new items, weapons, armors, enemies and animations. Naw, what I find truly difficult is balancing everything. As a guy who focuses a lot on combat, creating skills that function in harmony from start to finish is as fun as a hospital bill.

You don't want a skill to overwhelm the others in usefulness or it'll be the only thing the player will use. You don't want the boss to be so powerful or HP-spongey it's not fun, the latter in particular being a problem if the inflated health doesn't contribute to meaningful decisions in combat.

In my case it's having enemies with meaningful gimmicks that don't stump the player, like "bro how do I even kill this guy".

There's also trying to include strange new ideas that have no frame of reference since not many other people try to include them, so a lot of dev time is spent testing to make sure they work. (e.g a Time Stop functionality that freezes all enemies on a map)

Last edited:

PoptartPresident

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As an artist/pixel artist, I absolutely LOVE doing all the artwork, scenery, how I want things to look...story wise, yes! I love all of the creativity aspects so far.

The only thing I'm kind of struggling with so far is how I'm gonna implement things into the actual game...I know I just started this whole RPG Maker MV tutorial stuff about a week ago, but...there's sooooo much flexibility to a point where I'm not sure what is the most efficient way to make an event happen the way I want it to.
Like, recently...I've been trying to create a puzzle where you dump water into the correct spot, but if you get it wrong, you get to retry it by refilling a bucket over and over as many times as you need until you get it right. But no matter what I try, it just seems like I can't come up with the proper coding needed to allow you to refill the bucket without stopping you from refilling it over and over, and getting infinite buckets D:

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but, still...it's small tedious things like that that make me feel like I'm halted on progress!

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Art & Mapping are my weak links. I've just never been very artistic throughout my life. My forte includes anything that utilizes math, logic, and to a certain extent design. I have a degree in Systems & Operations (and a minor in CS) so I'm pretty good at envisioning how subcomponents of a system interact with each other and the resulting "big picture". I also love math, so making skills, weapons, armor, & etc. come naturally to me (besides the art portion of it). Balancing, theorycrafting, combat design are my favorite parts of game development. I'm pretty proud of the formulas I've used in redefining the primary/secondary stats and skills/spells of my game.

woootbm

Super Sand Legend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is Programming supposed to go under Scripting/Eventing? Because eventing is easy enough. But I can't conjure up new plugins or features in the game without a programmer. I also can't do art, but I've found myself comparatively comfortable judging and asking for tweaks in the art department, and communicating what I want. Programming is a nightmare because it takes a bunch of time to verify, and then sometimes it turns out I'm not even using the thing correctly. All those moving parts and trying to figure out the best way to do something really eats up a lot of time.

Even when I do have a feature or plugin how I want, there's so often moments of fighting to get it to work when I get to certain parts of implementation. I download a plugin and then there's this big learning curve to get it to work. I still haven't fully wrapped my head around Yanfly Action Sequences ;_;

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is Programming supposed to go under Scripting/Eventing?
The choices are pretty broad topics since I can only give a limited amount of options in the poll. So in this case yeah, programming can go under scripting/eventing. :)

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) Scripting is something I Just dont touch... Ever.
2) database (those related to battle mostly) arent my forty either
3) i couldnt pixel a cube if my life dependes in it :(

Other then that there are no real issues lol

Usually ill Just ask nicely for help and hope im charming enough to get it done that way xD (ofcourse always being willing to help others does help in that regard too :) )

Art, mapping and story are a breeze.
Also worldbuilding (which i think should be a topic of its own lol) comes naturally to me).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

And back. Trying to work online with no internet for 1.5 days was...interesting. I felt like a character in a old Sierra game trying to find internet due to all the hoops I had to jump through just to get online for work.
grief... if MV didn't have certain plugins already, I think I'd upgrade to MZ. seeing like 10 MV plugins in 1 MZ one is hilariously convenient lol.
Have you already checkes out my mapping tutorial on the blog? I would love to hear your feedback and things you'd like to see in the future!

one of character for my upcoming game idk how to design o_O

Designing patches that can 'augmented' to clothing based armor. Such good fun. A bit time consuming due to the need to create image displays, but the patches are limited so it's not too tiring.
Note: lol, posting this made me find a couple mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilKeepItReal