What platform(s) do you release your games on?

What platform(s) do you normally release your games on?

• Itch.io

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Steam

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • IndieDB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GameJolt

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • IndieGames+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My own site or Blog

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other (I'd be interested in what)

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Is there a preferred site that you use to release your RPG Maker games on, or do you just put it up on as much places as possible?

It would be interesting if the platforms chosen are different for free and commercial games.

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got Itch, Steam & Voxpop Games (Which is like steam but small and for indie).

I tried Gamejolt but I had no luck there compared to itch and steam.

Steam seems to be your best bet to get customers from what I can gather from my data.

NoPatience

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Slovak
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I used itch and GameJolt for my first - free - game. I'm planning to try GOG and Fireflower games, too, but they want a trailer and I haven't forced myself to make it yet :LZScheeze: I read that GOG is pretty selective about what they publish, so we'll see.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
From best to worst (income wise):

1. Steam
  2. Aldorlea
  3. Big Fish Games (older games)
  4. Humble Store
  5. GamersGate
  6. GreenManGaming
  7. DailyIndieGame
  8. itch.io
do you just put it up on as much places as possible?

That much is true :rock-right:

GOG is pretty selective

That much is true (2) :o

Last edited:

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Mainly just watching this to see what others say about it.

I actually just stick with Itch.io because it's pretty much the only site I really know but as far as commercial goes, I'll just keep an eye on this and see what others has to say about it as I'm really curious, myself, as I'll eventually be going the Donation route for my first 2-3 years and then Commercial(provided that everything goes as planned).

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im keeping on itch as i havent delved in other sites, i know gamejolt but havent published anything there yet.

ill just lurk around here to write down platforms i can upload to :kaopride:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Steam and aldorlea. I do post my game jam games on itch, but that's it. Itch sadly has too many issues that made me decide to not post my paid games there anymore.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Aldorlea and after that Steam.
And that's it.

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I didn't think of GOG as an option. The sites in the list are all places I've looked at for putting things made using other platforms on.
I assume nobody is putting free games on Steem, as you have to pay £100 up front to put a game there.

Is indiDB not a thing now then? I know this used to be a lot more popular when it was a gateway site to Desura (the old one, not the new rubbish site with the same name).

Last edited:

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Steam and aldorlea. I do post my game jam games on itch, but that's it. Itch sadly has too many issues that made me decide to not post my paid games there anymore.
How do you post in aldorlea? Checked the site but im a bit confused.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You have to contact the owner to get it released on aldorlea.

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've no money to invest sadly, so itch.io and my own(github) website are my only options. Platform wise? Windows, Linux and Android, since apple isn't nice to developers... or customers... or anything or anything really

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Itch sadly has too many issues that made me decide to not post my paid games there anymore.
Oh? I didn't know anything about this. If it's not too much trouble, can you name some of these issues so I can see what my options are? I'm sure there are others that would like to know, actually. Unless they already do and I'm living under a rock. :o

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well it kinda came down to this:

1: They can't get my tax info right, and keep sending it back to me to fix. Sorry itch but I know my own SSN. If you can't figure it out and get the IRS to take it, thats between you two, figure it out.

2: Itch is just glutted with games. And I mean glutted.

3: Poor organization of games and assets I've bought there. Finding an old purchase is a nightmare on that site.

4: Also few to no sales ever on itch. I've spoken to other devs and there are some who have made $0.00 ever on itch. Yes it can be that low.

5: Itch does nothing to make sure those reviewing are legit owners of the game/product. At least on Steam you have to buy it first to review, but itch anyone can, even a troll who is just out to review bomb you (which has been affecting a few I know on there).

XcodedX

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
DLSite if you want a quick income from a really short game i guess... If you know what i mean *wink *wink

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well it kinda came down to this:

1: They can't get my tax info right, and keep sending it back to me to fix. Sorry itch but I know my own SSN. If you can't figure it out and get the IRS to take it, thats between you two, figure it out.

2: Itch is just glutted with games. And I mean glutted.

3: Poor organization of games and assets I've bought there. Finding an old purchase is a nightmare on that site.

4: Also few to no sales ever on itch. I've spoken to other devs and there are some who have made $0.00 ever on itch. Yes it can be that low.

5: Itch does nothing to make sure those reviewing are legit owners of the game/product. At least on Steam you have to buy it first to review, but itch anyone can, even a troll who is just out to review bomb you (which has been affecting a few I know on there).
Alright. Thank you for explaining it to me. That #5 got me worried the most, actually. Never really had that before but it can definitely happen to anyone and that's a huge red flag.

sugarcr4sh

[ typing loudly ]
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I used both steam & itchio, while I liked the customization you have over your games page thru itch (changing the background etc.) I got 0.1% of downloads there compared to steam. That website is super cluttered with games atm, although if you are one of the few that goes viral that's obviously an exception haha ^^;;

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Interesting that so much people use Steam. I expected itch.io to be used, but didn't think it would have so low sales.

Looks like people don't really but that much from itch.io

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Only 3 more days to get your copy of Move That Box! with -15% discount!
1660090657213.png
Mistakes will be made.
After three years, it was awesome to be back at Gen Con!
Words of Wisdom: You can be honest and alone. Or dishonest and together.
Working on mapping using RPGTools to create parallax maps using PVgames tiles/assets. It's super cool... but mapping is still something I drag my feet on getting done. I hate this but love the math parts of design, which is the opposite of a lot of dev's around, I think. It really do be different strokes for different folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking