Jxkl5

Flying Narwhale
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
I want to make my own graphics, such as charecters and tilesets.

What program should I use?

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

I use Adobe Photoshop CC and I like it.  It costs money though.

Most on this forum tend to recommend Gimp since it's free.  So you may want to try that out first and see how you like it since it won't cost you anything.

Blender is a free program also if you want to design 3d-ish rendered graphics for your game.  In the right hands that can deliver realistic results.  But there is a high-learning curve attached to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you want to make pixel tiles I suggest something that makes it easy to make the tiles endless like Pyxel Edit (it's free).  I don't know of a graphics editor that does that for anti aliased stuff though.  For sprites you should get something that supports animation so you can preview it while you work.  Photoshop, Gimp and Graphics Gale all support animation.  Something that supports layers is always nice.  Personally I use Pyxel Edit and Photoshop.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Any graphic program can be used to make the picture sheets for sprites or tilesets.

The problem is that you have to conform to the formats needed by RPGM, and those formats are not part of any graphic program, they require you to know and obey those format rules.

Ace for example has six different formats for Tilesheets - one each for A1 to A5, and the sixth for the B to E sheets. You cannot use a tilesheet in the wrong slot, and the A#-Slots have special rules programmed into them (for example, only A1 can be used for animated tiles, and only in the specific format given by that tilesheet).

byrdbones

Ren
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My wife who does all of the character sketches and pixel art uses both Photoshop  CS 5 and Graphics Gale. She tried Gimp for a while but didn't really take to it. I on the other hand like to use gimp if Im messing around with things like fogs and really like the seamless feature it has for parallax things.

hian

Biggest Boss
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
I use paint.net and gimp.

I really recommend paint.net for simple work though, since it's so easy to use, easy on your CPU, and it's really really easy to find great plugins and tutorials for it.

EraYachi

Lord of the Dance Cowboy
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I personally use Art Rage Studio 3 and then import things into GIMP to complete the sprite art. I use the former because it handles much better than GIMP with a tablet and spriting goes faster, but if you're looking for something free, I'd go with GIMP. It takes a bit to learn its unusual ways (compared to photoshop), but it's quite remarkable for free software.

Darkanine

...In my thoughts and in my dreams...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use Paint.net,simple and fairly powerful  :D .I use to use GIMP but..GIMP is really un-user friendly,for me at least.

Ulrika

Ralph's babysitter
Reaction score
First Language
Snideness
Primarily Uses
You can use any program you're comfortable with. It's simply a tool, so use what fits you best. There's GIMP, Adobe Photoshop, Paint Tool Sai, Graphics Gale, Paint.NET etc.

Alex_TheBadass

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Heroism
I made my millions using pro tools and autotune-oh, wait, we're talking about image software!

(Photoshop is kinda complex but cool if you're more advanced. Might be your best bet once you get some experience.)

deaddrift

The Modern Primitiv
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I made my millions using pro tools and autotune-oh, wait, we're talking about image software!

I lol'd!

i use photoshop, its simply the best, but as many have said, its expensive if you buy it

the truth is though, any program you use has a learning curve, once you figure it out you'll be smooth sailing, so you cant go wrong with all the free suggestions people have made like GIMP! if you dont have to spend money, why would you? check out the free stuff and if you feel you need "more" then you have those other options

for character battle, dialogue and reaction faces, i recommend using a vector based program like adobe illustrator, or maybe manga studio and anime studio- so you can color them easily and rescale them without loss of quality

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A side story is almost getting into the next stage. Almost everything in this game has real-life references.
unfinishedbuildingwip1.jpg
Everyday life is full of absurdity. This is just a reflection.
TFW you discover how the script batching works in VNMaker... after you've had the program for almost 3 years.
hAx6iQ3.gif

Writes that the characters have to climb a mountain.

Realized that I have to draw six sets of models where characters are climbing.

At least I know how to draw something. :)
I'm currently scratching my head on how to design plains. What do I even put in plains? Some trees (but not too many or it turns into a forest)? Grass? A few bushes? That's a bit dull.
I'm looking for tutorials but Google didn't seem to find much (or maybe I have the wrong keywords). I don't know how to map plains and I don't know how to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Norfos