captainette777

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Asking as a person who has never tried it before, and is now considering it. What is your favorite one to use, what program did you start using in the beginning, what's the easiest for a complete noob like me to get into, what's affordable/free, and what creates the best looking work for you or fits your game's needs the most?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use Gimp, because it's free. I've gotten used to it, to the point that trying to work in Photoshop at one point felt frustrating to me.

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mostly use Photoshop because I'm comfortable with it - but I also really like Pyxel Edit (@Sharm recommended it to me and it's super intuitive)! There's a free version, but I purchased the beta so I can't really comment on it: http://pyxeledit.com

Edit: I have to say that the reason I probably love Pyxel so much is because the UI/tools remind me of photoshop but it cuts out all the crap you don't need and makes it a lot simpler to work with.

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
photoshop + texturepacker
very affordable for work

DianteC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Photoshop mostly. I've used it since Highschool so it's what I know. I use Paint Tool Sai and Clip Studio Paint as well, but photoshop is my favorite.

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know if anyone really considers photoshop "affordable" these days. :kaojoy:
everything depends on your priorities in life.

My friend is treating me rich because my pc for my work has value of 4000$
He does not find it affordable.
But this same guy has pay Mags for his car has 4000$

And not to mention his sound system.
Everything is affordable from the moment it from your domain and speciality.
You can not get all, otherwise it would be too easy.

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I used to use Photoshop, but I decided I'm too lazy to use different programs for drawing and spriting. Now I just use Clip Studio for everything.

JtheDuelist

Just a dev who actually got a game finished
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From the little bit of sprite work I've done (mostly recolors, but still), I say paint.net and FireAlpaca are great (not to mention both are absolutely free!), but FireAlpaca works better if you have a pen tablet/drawing tablet to use.

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For higher resolution edits (32x32 and higher) I use photoshop.
For drawing characters from the ground up I use Game Character Hub since I got it in a humble bundle years ago and it makes previewing animations simple.
For 16x16 tiles, non-animated battlers and everything else I use paint. Yes really. I'm a heathen.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Paint dot net XD
However, I personally use game character hub and edit with draw plus and photo plus x4 for basic stuff and for fancy stuff I use spriter pro.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Useful Development Tools. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

There are quite a number of threads on this subject in this section of the forum which you might care to browse as they come it from slightly different angles.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've been using Aseprite for spriting lately. I used Pyxel Edit before that, and it's still a solid way to do sprites. GIMP totally works too if that's the tool you're used to, but it's not an intuitive program. Buying Photoshop to make pixel sprites would be like buying bottled water to water your lawn. Yeah, it'll work but it's certainly not the best way to go about it. Get something cheaper that's built for it! When I started I used programs that don't exist anymore so I don't think that will be useful to you. There's way better stuff now anyway. I used Graphics Gale for a bit, that one is alright. Some people swear by it, but I found it annoying.

Mostly what I'm talking about is stuff for pixel sprites, but if you're looking into doing something non-pixel like a vector or hand drawn then you'll want to look into different programs. Clip Studio Paint has fantastic drawing tools and can do short animation clips if you get the right version (you only need short for sprites). There's stuff that can animate the objects after they've been drawn like Spline, Spriter, and Dragon Bones. Those aren't necessarily any easier than traditional animation, just different. I know there are other fully featured animation programs but from what I've seen those are very expensive. But really, to do animation the only thing you really need is patience and a program that supports layers.

If you haven't got a lot of drawing skills I recommend doing pixel sprites. That's the default and there would be less of a learning curve to make something nice.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I use:
- Photoshop
- Pyxel Edit
- And trying to use aseprite since it has a pretty cool animation feature which is very handy

captainette777

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I should probably mention Piskel. Does anybody use that?

hacksider

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Inkscape + dragonbone or spriter = easy sprites and animations!

Olra

Global Derp
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Original MS Paint. Not the new one that was canned recently, we're talking about the old opaque one with the blinding neon green.

It's the most nostalgic and is pretty decent for overworld sprites and, on top of that, has a nice interface. Perfect for rookies.

For layers, however, paint.net is great for that.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Paint.net for me, personally. Pretty much an open-source Photoshop clone for those unaware. If I still had the original MS Paint I'd consider it, but using layers to make sure everything lines up well on a template is too good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

i'm not only drawing girls tbh
i like grubby old man
Kes wrote on Chef's profile.
I have deleted your profile post as our Rules are quite clear that you may not use them to advertise non-RM products, nor may you give a link to anything that solicits payment for you.
140 Thousand words, take one down, toss it around, discover I hate the direction I went and decide to start a complete rewrite.
I like being a butt to people.
Dirtnap wrote on Tyler Warren's profile.
Hi Tyler,

My name is Sean, I am the owner of an indie studio, and I am looking to get some paid art work done. I am working with MV, but our programmer will be heavily modifying it.

If you are interested, or would like to hear more, I can provide my personal e-mail address.

S.G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MagicMan