What programs do you use for spriting?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by captainette777, May 9, 2018.

1. Kuu_t

Kuu_t Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've very fast workflow with Photoshop, so I'm using it. Photoshop has been my main tool for last ten years in different kind of productions, so there's no reason for me to change it to anything else. Also, I need it at work, so there are no extra costs for me in it.

Photoshops timeline tool is quite good for sprite animations and I also have Spine for bone animations.

2. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    When I started out with rpgmaker XP I just used Microsoft Paint! o_O

There was a period where I sort of used the sprite editor in GameMaker and just exported the sprites into rpgmaker. Nowadays I just use Gimp!

That said I barely do any spriting.

3. Adonael

Adonael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used Graphics Gale primarily for years, but it was starting to feel dated and lacking some obvious features for pixel art and making quality of life easier.

After reading up a bit on Aseprite and seeing it in action through a few people I decided to make the switch. I bought the program today and plan on start learning it here soon.

---------- Edit: 7:20pm

Now that I have spent a few hours with Aseprite I don't know why I held onto Gale so long. Maybe the memories.

I'll always love GG for the fact it was my first program that really got me spriting, but Aseprite it's a much better program and less annoying.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  4. ProjectUnknow

ProjectUnknow Just a Lonely Producer Member

First Language:
    Hmong, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Although I'm still learning pixel art, I'm using Piskel, its a good free program.