What resources do you use for skills in your game?

What currencies do you use for skill in your game?

• Total voters

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My intention in this discussion: I will draw the line on the sand of what units of skill cost should be used. So I can limit the variable of skill costs. I ask for both actor's side and enemies' troop side of the skill sets.

I did not see the thread that I find that satisfied with this question, sorry.

Many of us here would probably used mp and tp as the cost of the skills in our games.
  1. HP Cost
  2. MP Cost
  3. TP Cost
  4. Item Cost
  5. Combination costs for a skill [Like a skill which cost both mp and tp.]
  6. Gauge Bar Filling: Limit Break
  7. Cooldown Cost
  8. Custom Skill Cost/ State Counter Cost
  9. Variable Skill Cost
  10. Money Skill Cost
  11. Limited Skill Uses
A. Another question if you do not mind. Do you do distribution of skill cost? For examples, every classes or jobs have similar skill cost units.
Or you refer to a specific unit of a skill cost up on different class?
The classic example would the tp cost for the knight class and mp for a magician class.

Thank you in advance for giving me confirmation. If I missed something, please tell me. I will make a correction or an update. [I will just generate a graph afterward lol for a vistual]

Last edited:

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For the game I'm planning to do, most actions are puzzle-like and you got a shortage on ammo, fuel and tools to manage, so Items should be my reply.
Anyway, there's no standard combat, just eventing, so probably my vote doesn't represent the common trend.

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I don't know what to tell you here. In my first game I could depend on skill cost but in the next one I'd use some limit break and still, the third game could be money based. It doesn't mean I won't mix them in my fourth project. It really depends on a developer's taste and it's not as static and predictable as you'd prefer to think. Just my "3" cents...

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most magical skils cost MP, but I do have options to essentially use 'blood magic' and change the cost to HP. Any weapon/physical type skills cost TP. Also, I have some skills that require a build-up of charges, the charges can only be gained by activating another skill and then using that skill repeatedly. So basically 4 things are needed to use the skills in my game: HP, MP, TP, and Charges.

edit: after re-reading your OP, I'm wondering: are you asking how we determine what the cost of the skill will be? As in, how much the MP cost is?

If this is the case, I'll explain a bit that maxMP is generally going to be a low number (early game in single digits or teens depending on the class). Mostly I base my skill costs on the function. Damage dealing skills are about 4 MP cost, healing about 5 MP cost, then I add +1 or +2 depending on the additional functions of the skill. For example, heal skill is 5 MP to cast, but you could level it up to either add a regen state or to add barrier points to the target, so the new upgraded skill cost would be 6 MP to cast.

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A mix of things. Not all resources are used up by skills, though. For example, health determines how potent an attack will be; the lower your health, the weaker your attacks.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kyonides, I agree with you that it is an art and preference. I ask for the concensus and then I create a pro and a con of why I need this.

I am probably detract from the planing lol in the end. Most of my plan is just guidance, because I cannot plan for everything to go smoothly.

edit: after re-reading your OP, I'm wondering: are you asking how we determine what the cost of the skill will be?
I am ok. Thank you. I will bother you more in RPG Maker MV area if I find with problems with execution of the plan. Thank you again for asking. Fingers acoss, right and hope it is just my mistakes and not major issues.

I tired to stop myself from making more skill cost units and commit to it. The complexity = more work to do lol. To make it fair for users.

Last edited:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tired to stop myself from making more skill cost units and commit to it. The complexity = more work to do lol. To make it fair for users.
Maybe it will be more work, but as long as it makes sense and adds something productive, then more work is okay, right? lol

The only thing I try to stay away from is redundancy in cost. Honestly, I'm considering removing the TP costs I currently have and just going straight MP. The only reason I even used TP to begin with was to create a difference in weapon skills and magic skills. I've been thinking though that it doesn't really even matter, and to just have TP cost skills require no cost at all, and instead using cooldowns so they can't be spammed.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MP and TP, but I don't feel like to explain my complex system. MP skills are treated as magic or divine skills - depending on caliber of spell and TP skills are treated as Magic/Melee/Divine, but those spells ignores enemies defenses

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe it will be more work, but as long as it makes sense and adds something productive, then more work is okay, right? lol
I do not mind to make thing operational or I just discard the idea if it is beyond my ability lol. But I like the experiment with ideas and get distracted from the main objective of doing the main game. It makes sense to me first and then it becomes useless later because I am ready used similar units which makes thing confusing when doing math lol.
It is like a good thing in a short sight, but in the long term, it becomes cumbersome for one man operation lol.

I don't feel like to explain my complex system.
You do not have too. It is ok. I am just asking for a general concensus. Plus you are probably creating script skill cost which I will mostly not understand.

Last edited:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You might want to change the thread title to "Resources" instead of "Currencies" since the latter is referring to money. I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be a topic about money but turned out to be about skill costs lol.

Anyway, for the poll, I chose HP, MP, TP, combination, CD, & custom skill costs.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
TP, because I hate running out of MP and doing MP management.
Cooldown, so you have to use other skills.

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For me lately it's no cost, where skills are instead limited by how many you can put on a character. Most of it is determined by equipment, and because each battle is its own hurdle, the lack of MP is replaced by choice and difficulty.

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After toying with several in RPG Maker MV, a straight resource pool like MP seems to be the most simple and elegant.

MP adequately proposes an ideal usage for each skill based on what percentage of the max point pool that skill costs.

The player then chooses to follow the implied recommendation, with the option to pull out the high-cost, flashy stuff when appropriate.

Not sure if it fit into any of the categories above, but I've also liked systems where each skill/action has its own number of uses that can be used per battle and/or rest. Something like the spells from the Souls series, Power Points from Pokemon, or even the way that spells are handled in Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@duty, Ok, you mean like here. I forget after going back and forward with Yanfly Plugins. No, I did not mention yet. Thank you for helping me recalling of that option.

I think both you and @KakonComp thinking the same which are great for me to count. And I ran out of the choice for the poll. I cannot add it on the poll, sorry.

Last edited:

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well it can be similar. In my current game there are skills you get from equipment that have no cost and can be used at any time.

There's also a special skill for each character that can only be used once per battle. Main character can stun an enemy without fail, another can attack with the skill and keep their current turn afterwards, and another looks around in battle for items to scavenge.

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Seeing this thread made me realize I actually had a crapload of resources (lol):

I use the following, further limitations (some skills can only be used 3 times per dungeon trek, etc.) not included:
HP cost for physical skills.
MP cost for magical skills.
Ammo (Consumable/Refillable) for gun skills. (+some other item cost)
Limit break "Stacks". (which is gained when the limit gauge is filled)

I did not use TP as a skill cost however, as I modified them to serve a different purpose.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I picked HP, MP, Item, Combination, and Limit Break in the poll. Among those, and for pipe dream ideas...

• HP includes a "dark wave" to severely damage all foes, a "wish" to recover HP to someone else by non-divine magic, and even a "self-destruct" for some enemies.
  • MP is the standard cost for almost all abilities.
  • No cost for some enemy-only skills. Certain foes can perform "normal attack with ailment chance" moves. Some might use dangerous breath attacks (fire, "sweet"/sleep, "burning"/paralysis, poison, acid, etc) for no MP cost, maybe.
  • Items are not only combat consumables, but also ammunition when I get to a post-apocalypse game. I'd also like to incorporate a Mix command like FF5, but it's a pipe dream.
  • Combination includes an expy of Dark Souls' "Power Within", which costs MP but drains HP over time, or a potential alchemy skill which can turn healing items into explosives.
  • Originally for my WIP, I wanted to use TP for a limit-break-inspired mechanic called Brave. Each character had one "Brave Art" a la FF7R's Limit Breaks, meant to be showstoppers you could save up. Was going to use a certain script to lock out normal attacks at max TP, just like the original FF7, so that you had to use a Brave Art or anything else.
I have pondered a game with cooldowns, but nothing substantial.

Last edited:

Ami

World Maker
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(1) in my project,all of my skill (majority) are MP (i call it Stamina,just make it different) and HP (the alternative way to replenish MP is using the user's HP),even Attack need MP/Stamina,too

(2) skill also need items,you know that Final Fantasy 8 are using Magic Unit to attack the enemy,instead MP as original mechanism to using Magic. i managed to recreate it into my project,back then.

(3) skill also need money,the damage of the enemy depend with how much money to spend (i was thinking how Bribe skill are work,but no luck)

(4) skill also need variable check,if variable are above from variable that required,the skill are perform successfully and gain more damage

Last edited:

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use a few resources, depending on the skill type:
1. Physical skills; cooldowns
2. Magical skills; MP costs. Some have HP costs - this HP cost magic skills are used to restore the user's MP, so it's a trade thing going on
3. Soul skills; Soul Points (TP system renamed) These are kind of like character ultimate skills, and they typically cost a large % of Max SP to use
There are 3 skills that cost HP, MP, and SP to use, but that skill deals both physical and magical damage and are generally really powerful, so the cost is justified.
Another skill also requires the user to have 2+ Beneficial states, and consumes them on use...
Yeah, okay, I use a few resources :3

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I checked just about every box besides money and item costs, but that doesn't mean I won't use those in some future game. As a breakdown:
  • HP: Used only rarely for certain things, like HP transfer heals or certain "dark" themed skills that might demand a sacrifice from the user
  • MP: Used for just about all skills, although I reskin it for different characters so the warrior archetype would have it labeled as Rage/RP, and it grows with damage dealt/taken rather than traditionally while a mage would use traditional MP.
  • TP: Reskinned as the limit break resource. Fill it to 100, use super attack, repeat. I tend to reset this between battles.
  • Cooldowns/Warmups: These let me make strong skills without encouraging the player to spam them every round.
  • Custom Costs: I have a few skills that cost a percentage of HP or MP
  • Limited Uses: I like to give each character 1 or 2 of these as a sort of strategic ability they can use once per battle.
  • Counters: I just realized you probably meant "based on some incrementing value," but I love designing skills that I think are fun counterattacks. For example, my warrior character has a particular stance that lets her avoid a single attack and counter with an AoE once per turn, while another stance lets her "counter-heal" herself when she takes damage. The main character can buff hismelf with a counter which gradually deals more damage each time it gets used unless the counter buff falls off, in which case it resets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some game development followed by the return of the Interactive Text Adventure after a short hiatus! Feel free to drop by!
Lately, I've taken to smashing random nouns/verbs together as insults. It's sort of amusing how many people don't really know how to respond to that. You bottle shaker!
Would be nice to pick color code that is not exclusively for message event
The Ace attorney series are so great games... But at the same time such a travesty.
Made a video showcasing a plugin (by Lanza) that adds 5 more weather effects to our MV games. :LZYsmile: Namely:
Ash-dust,
bloodrain,
Cherry Blossom Petals,
Hail,
and bubbles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shadowgrahp