What RPG Maker i should choose?

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by Ilikemilk7, Jul 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ilikemilk7

Ilikemilk7 Warper Member

First Language:
    Poland
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello, I want to start my adventure with RPG Maker and problem is that I don't know what RPG Maker I should choose. I wanna Maker that is easy to learn and comfortable to use. Thank you :))

atoms likes this.
  2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If starting out, I'd say get MV. It's the newest version. However it might be worth getting both MV and ACE so you can use the resources from each if you have the cash to do that.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    MV. You have more ppl to help you than if you choose the older version of RM.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  4. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Most of them have trials or demos so try them out and see which one you can make heads or tails of best.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    atoms likes this.
  5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Product Discussion and Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

6. Ilikemilk7

Ilikemilk7 Warper Member

First Language:
    Poland
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't have enough money to buy MV :\

7. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Do you have any programming experience? If so, what language?
    If you have ruby experience than XP -> Ace is what you want.
    If you have JS experience than MV is what you "may" want.
    Also keep in mind RPG Maker has a life cycle every 3-5 years there is a new version like clockwork so by 2020-2021 there would likely be a new RPG Maker and haxe should be it's language so I can delve myself in python :)

An RPG isn't overly complex, break it down into bite size bits and the result can be replicated everywhere.
    It's summer so steam is having it's summer sale or had it already... I purchased pretty much the RM collection for $35 since I already owned MV, I did own the Japanese Ace "boxed" but I was robbed a few years ago :( Got my expensive DVD Sets back "by expensive, they're close to $5-6,000 when they were *NEW... They're still worth $2,500-3,500" but didn't get ace back.

If you want to use Ruby use XP and find a custom RPG_RT that uses a modern version of ruby, or simply back port RGSS3 to XP which still requires you to own Ace and XP to do it. Even though XP is from 2004 it's still one of the more "open" rpg makers released, ruby felt like ruby, it didn't feel weird in any way like VX and Ace were when it came to scripting.

I for one do *NOT* like RPG Maker MV, and it has a lot to do with how scripting works. For one, you seem to be creating far more code than what is truly necessary... Some scripts get into 5K lines to 20k+. For example, A Link To The Past would be around 35K lines of code in MV and 5K in just about every other engine "this is no joke" and yes that included Save/Load, Menus, Windows, RPG Functions "Stats, Modifiers, Dialogue, etc". RPG Maker MVs Event functions comes to around 10K in any JS engine. But, MV is also heavily mobile/html5 first > desktop and that was a horrible design decision.

Yes, this likely looks like a scare post but don't let it be as I'm not a die hard that would say use this > this in every case by case scenario...
    I will point out MVs code base is REALLY MESSY, it's not clean JS by any means and a lot of choices makes we wanna say WTF...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  8. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    While the time cycle is a fact, but please don't spread misinformation that you should expect a new RM anytime soon when there's no official news about it.

atoms likes this.
  9. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I said there would likely be a new version, I never said for a fact there would be.
    You read too much into it.

10. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    While that is also true, people may start expecting. What if they believe in you and wait for a year or two then no new RM at all?
    I wouldn't dare to say even if I have to put "likely" in the statement.

atoms likes this.