Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Salutations, kind stranger.

I was wondering which version of engine was best to purchase when I noticed there was no Ruby scripting subforum for MZ.

Does RPGMZ not use Ruby? If so which language does it use?

Much gratitude, good stranger.
- Pixel_Maiden

dragoonwys

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Both MV and MZ uses Javascript

Pixel_Maiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Both MV and MZ uses Javascript
Ah, many thanks, good stranger.

Coild i also use plugins for MV on MZ? Or port the game from MV to MZ after i finish the MV-plugin required portions?

Thanks in advance,
Pixel_Maiden.

dragoonwys

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some of the MV plugins are compatible in MZ, but not all of them would work and would need to be ported or rewrite it. It's usually better to find MZ specific plugins for MZ and vice versa MV to MV

And unfortunately, no they are not directly portable between each other, so if you plan on using a lot of MV plugins, use MV from start to finish. Otherwise, if you don't have anything in mind, you can just start fresh on MZ since it is the newest engine.

Pixel_Maiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Some of the MV plugins are compatible in MZ, but not all of them would work and would need to be ported or rewrite it. It's usually better to find MZ specific plugins for MZ and vice versa MV to MV

And unfortunately, no they are not directly portable between each other, so if you plan on using a lot of MV plugins, use MV from start to finish. Otherwise, if you don't have anything in mind, you can just start fresh on MZ since it is the newest engine.
What differs between MV and MZ version?

Alkmayix

Veteran Red Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A number of things including slight syntax changes, which is why while some plugins will work fine others need to be converted.

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Or port the game from MV to MZ after i finish the MV-plugin required portions?
Porting a game from MV to MZ is extremely easy, as long as you manage to get the plugin situation sorted.

Pixel_Maiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A number of things including slight syntax changes, which is why while some plugins will work fine others need to be converted.
What be each version's strengths and weaknesses?

Porting a game from MV to MZ is extremely easy, as long as you manage to get the plugin situation sorted.
Oh, thanks. I'm on tight budget rn so i cant afford both MV and MZ. I just wanted to know specifications/capablities so I'll be better able to decide.

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd probably still go with MV, or wait for Unite to drop and see what that brings, before even thinking about picking up MZ.

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Differences between MV and MZ:

Objective advantages in MZ

• The performance of the engine has been significantly improved. When I say significant, I mean literally several times better. MV users can narrow the gap by manually updating NW.js, but even when MV has an updated NW.js, MZ will still perform better on purely graphical stuff (animations, special effects, lighting plugins, etc).
  • Added ability to manually control layers when mapping. If fully utilized, this allows you to make your maps less blocky and more organic looking. It allows you to use transparent backgrounds in your autotiles, so you no longer have to use square roofs, square cliffs, and square forest borders and such. Unfortunately, not a lot of tilesets make use of this feature, since so many people aren't ready to move on from MV yet, so the tileset creators still feel compelled to support MV--but the possibility is there.
  • MZ natively supports 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, and 48x48 tile sizes. This means that you have the option to use tilesets from the older engines, as long as you're licensed to do so. This can be really cool, because VX Ace DLCs are way cheaper than MV/MZ DLCs. This also makes things easier for people who are going for more retro looking games.
  • Script calls can contain an unlimited number of lines. This is very huge for people who know at least a little JavaScript, because it allows you to add a lot more power and flexibility to your events. Personally, I'd never be able to go back to MV's meager 12 line limit.
  • You now have the option to use a 3D particle engine for spell animations, which allows for smoother, nicer looking animations. But the old method is still supported as well, for those who prefer sprite-based animations.
  • There are new battle modes available (Time Progress and Active Time Progress). As far as I am aware, MV actually doesn't have any plugins that can replicate the Active Time Progress mode.
  • MZ comes with almost 3x more background music, almost 3x more background sounds, almost twice as many music effects, and over 100 more sound effects.
  • There is a built-in autosave feature. It is nicer than any autosave MV plugins I've seen, because it saves asynchronously. The MV autosave plugins will cause a perceptible pause while they're saving, whereas MZ's autosave happens in the background.
  • There is built in support for changing game resolution.
  • On dialogue boxes, there is built in support for displaying the name of who is speaking.
  • MZ games can be played by people who use MacOS 11+, whereas MV no longer supports Mac.
  • There are new traits in the database.
  • There is new Game Data accessible through the Control Variables command. One such example is that you can now save the last user of a skill to a variable, or the last target of a skill to a variable, which makes it easier to add cool effects to your skills without having to use plugins.
  • Added ability to preview movement routes when creating them.
  • Added ability to shift pieces around in the character generator.
  • Added a list of all events on the map. This is very helpful if you use template events or something of that nature, because you don't have to go around the entire map randomly editing events to try to find a particular one.
  • Plugin commands are now selected from a drop-down menu, so you don't have to memorize them anymore.
  • Exporting a map as an image now produces the proper size. This is handy if you choose to do parallax mapping.
  • Plugins can be enabled and disabled easier.
  • Better touch screen support.
  • Maximum limit of the number of major database items, variables, maps, etc. all increased.

Arguable advantages in MZ

• This is just anecdotal, but I believe that MZ's editor is more stable than MV's. I've heard a lot of horror stories about MV crashing, glitching, and corrupting people's data, but I've never really heard of such an issue with MZ. But being honest, I didn't have this issue on either editor, so I'm just going based on complaints that I've seen.

Objective advantages in MV
  • Price. MV is cheaper, and some of its popular plugins are cheaper.

Arguable advantages in MV

• Number of plugins. In terms of the raw amount of plugins available, MV has a lot more. However, a very large number of those are duplicates of other plugins, so it's kinda hard to care about them. You don't really need 7 plugins that all do the same thing. Furthermore, almost all of them are abandoned by their authors at this point, and a lot of them are buggy and/or poorly optimized. And on the flip side, MZ has well over 1,000 plugins at this point, so most anything you need can be found. Not to mention, there is project FOSSIL which allows you to use MV plugins in MZ (including most of Yanfly's plugins, as well as Moghunter's Chrono Engine). Additonally, MZ has also been gaining some neat new plugins that MV doesn't have lately. So I'd personally call the plugin situation kind of a wash.
  • Yanfly's MV plugins are not obfuscated, whereas the direct MZ equivalent of those plugins are obfuscated. If you don't know what that means, then this probably won't be a problem for you, but it is a pretty big deal to some people. The reason I put it under "arguable advantages" is because Yanfly/VisuStella plugins are by no means the only plugins that exist. There are literally thousands of other plugins to choose from, so it's not really that hard to just use plugins from a different creator in most cases. And then there's also the previously mentioned fact that there actually *is* a way to use Yanfly's MV plugins in MZ (by using FOSSIL).
TLDR: Objectively speaking, MZ is much better, unless you're really strapped for cash. But since it goes on sale for as little as $39.99 these days, even that argument is kinda losing steam.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the two big changes are manual layer control in mapping (first time since RMXP) and particle animation (in addition to regular animation since that was added back in in an update)
additionally a lot of minor improvements to eventing and database options.

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
TLDR: Objectively speaking, MZ is much better, unless you're really strapped for cash. But since it goes on sale for as little as $39.99 these days, even that argument is kinda losing steam.
Just wanna take a moment and express appreciation for the thought and effort that went into this comparison. Nicely done.

Pixel_Maiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just wanna take a moment and express appreciation for the thought and effort that went into this comparison. Nicely done.
39 dollars is a lot for us non-american/western-europeans -_-

Differences between MV and MZ:

Objective advantages in MZ

• The performance of the engine has been significantly improved. When I say significant, I mean literally several times better. MV users can narrow the gap by manually updating NW.js, but even when MV has an updated NW.js, MZ will still perform better on purely graphical stuff (animations, special effects, lighting plugins, etc).
  • Added ability to manually control layers when mapping. If fully utilized, this allows you to make your maps less blocky and more organic looking. It allows you to use transparent backgrounds in your autotiles, so you no longer have to use square roofs, square cliffs, and square forest borders and such. Unfortunately, not a lot of tilesets make use of this feature, since so many people aren't ready to move on from MV yet, so the tileset creators still feel compelled to support MV--but the possibility is there.
  • MZ natively supports 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, and 48x48 tile sizes. This means that you have the option to use tilesets from the older engines, as long as you're licensed to do so. This can be really cool, because VX Ace DLCs are way cheaper than MV/MZ DLCs. This also makes things easier for people who are going for more retro looking games.
  • Script calls can contain an unlimited number of lines. This is very huge for people who know at least a little JavaScript, because it allows you to add a lot more power and flexibility to your events. Personally, I'd never be able to go back to MV's meager 12 line limit.
  • You now have the option to use a 3D particle engine for spell animations, which allows for smoother, nicer looking animations. But the old method is still supported as well, for those who prefer sprite-based animations.
  • There are new battle modes available (Time Progress and Active Time Progress). As far as I am aware, MV actually doesn't have any plugins that can replicate the Active Time Progress mode.
  • MZ comes with almost 3x more background music, almost 3x more background sounds, almost twice as many music effects, and over 100 more sound effects.
  • There is a built-in autosave feature. It is nicer than any autosave MV plugins I've seen, because it saves asynchronously. The MV autosave plugins will cause a perceptible pause while they're saving, whereas MZ's autosave happens in the background.
  • There is built in support for changing game resolution.
  • On dialogue boxes, there is built in support for displaying the name of who is speaking.
  • MZ games can be played by people who use MacOS 11+, whereas MV no longer supports Mac.
  • There are new traits in the database.
  • There is new Game Data accessible through the Control Variables command. One such example is that you can now save the last user of a skill to a variable, or the last target of a skill to a variable, which makes it easier to add cool effects to your skills without having to use plugins.
  • Added ability to preview movement routes when creating them.
  • Added ability to shift pieces around in the character generator.
  • Added a list of all events on the map. This is very helpful if you use template events or something of that nature, because you don't have to go around the entire map randomly editing events to try to find a particular one.
  • Plugin commands are now selected from a drop-down menu, so you don't have to memorize them anymore.
  • Exporting a map as an image now produces the proper size. This is handy if you choose to do parallax mapping.
  • Plugins can be enabled and disabled easier.
  • Better touch screen support.
  • Maximum limit of the number of major database items, variables, maps, etc. all increased.

• This is just anecdotal, but I believe that MZ's editor is more stable than MV's. I've heard a lot of horror stories about MV crashing, glitching, and corrupting people's data, but I've never really heard of such an issue with MZ. But being honest, I didn't have this issue on either editor, so I'm just going based on complaints that I've seen.

Objective advantages in MV
  • Price. MV is cheaper, and some of its popular plugins are cheaper.

Arguable advantages in MV

• Number of plugins. In terms of the raw amount of plugins available, MV has a lot more. However, a very large number of those are duplicates of other plugins, so it's kinda hard to care about them. You don't really need 7 plugins that all do the same thing. Furthermore, almost all of them are abandoned by their authors at this point, and a lot of them are buggy and/or poorly optimized. And on the flip side, MZ has well over 1,000 plugins at this point, so most anything you need can be found. Not to mention, there is project FOSSIL which allows you to use MV plugins in MZ (including most of Yanfly's plugins, as well as Moghunter's Chrono Engine). Additonally, MZ has also been gaining some neat new plugins that MV doesn't have lately. So I'd personally call the plugin situation kind of a wash.
  • Yanfly's MV plugins are not obfuscated, whereas the direct MZ equivalent of those plugins are obfuscated. If you don't know what that means, then this probably won't be a problem for you, but it is a pretty big deal to some people. The reason I put it under "arguable advantages" is because Yanfly/VisuStella plugins are by no means the only plugins that exist. There are literally thousands of other plugins to choose from, so it's not really that hard to just use plugins from a different creator in most cases. And then there's also the previously mentioned fact that there actually *is* a way to use Yanfly's MV plugins in MZ (by using FOSSIL).
Ah ATB system. I thought i had to read up 10 books of ruby for that. Finally! Thanks bro:')

Last edited:

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, I get that personal income level can vary quite a bit between different people, and I wasn't trying to marginalize that fact. When I talk about the price as "cheap", I'm not basing that on a comparison to my personal income, but rather I'm basing it on how expensive I know that development software *can* be.

Most people who were developing software/games for Windows 10-20 years ago probably wouldn't even blink at a $39 price tag for a development tool, because it used to be very normal for development IDEs to cost hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars. Thankfully, free alternatives have come a long way these days, and some companies have enacted pricing models that make things a lot cheaper for individual developers, but some people are still having to pay quite a bit for their development tools.

And this isn't even limited to software development. Any type of creation software (such as for graphics, video, audio, etc) can be quite expensive. Photoshop is a couple hundred dollars per year. Maya 3D is like $2,000 per year. Etc. If you wanna create things, the tools of the trade can be quite expensive.

So when I think about how I've had to spend thousands of dollars on development/creation tools in the past, it's just really hard to consider $39 expensive for an entire game development IDE/Engine that also comes with tons of assets to use.

Pixel_Maiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, I get that personal income level can vary quite a bit between different people, and I wasn't trying to marginalize that fact. When I talk about the price as "cheap", I'm not basing that on a comparison to my personal income, but rather I'm basing it on how expensive I know that development software *can* be.

Most people who were developing software/games for Windows 10-20 years ago probably wouldn't even blink at a $39 price tag for a development tool, because it used to be very normal for development IDEs to cost hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars. Thankfully, free alternatives have come a long way these days, and some companies have enacted pricing models that make things a lot cheaper for individual developers, but some people are still having to pay quite a bit for their development tools.

And this isn't even limited to software development. Any type of creation software (such as for graphics, video, audio, etc) can be quite expensive. Photoshop is a couple hundred dollars per year. Maya 3D is like $2,000 per year. Etc. If you wanna create things, the tools of the trade can be quite expensive.

So when I think about how I've had to spend thousands of dollars on development/creation tools in the past, it's just really hard to consider $39 expensive for an entire game development IDE/Engine that also comes with tons of assets to use.
No, no, i understand lol
— I'm not chiding you for it, I meant that in a matter-of-fact manner not as someone who took offense to it. I'm just saying that i need to be wary as to where i spend my money.

As for Maya, an Ubisoft employee (mapper) told me that it's relatively easy to get a job in AAA studios if you're fluent in using Maya. I think since you have Maya(presumably), you can master it and get a nifty job B)

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Just as a counter-anecdote, I find MZ to be much less stable. I have 1,890 hours logged on MV and I could probably count on one hand the number of times it's crashed, and none of those have caused database problems.

I have only a handful of hours on MZ from opening it to test answers I'm about to give, and it has frequently crashed not only the program but locked up my system and forced reboots.

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
its all about the investment!

Not to shame you away from using MV or an earlier yet version of RPG Maker. That was mostly just to applaud @Arthran for taking the time and effort required to call out points that support MZ, since I haven't seen a lot of love for it. I attempted to write a review for it on Steam that might've answered your question as well, but I wager not that many folks even know to look there for something like this.

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

There was a tutorial on how to draw anime eyes. Just draw Among Us. So I tried.
Screenshot_107.jpg
DamageActor3_7.png added!
index.php

Making a "characters first appearance" drawing for my game. Now I just have to finish the sprite art animation for her grand entrance.​
ScreenShot_9_24_2022_7_56_24.png
New area being started today. It leads to one of the games 2 optional bosses.
A secret desire of mine: I want to make a horror game based on Celtic mythology. I've seen plenty of Greek, Japanese and Norse mythology-based horror games, but I don't think I've ever seen a Celtic-based horror game anywhere...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikehopper96