That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I decided to get into game music/composing.

It's always been a great inspiration source and I would love to create my own tracks! With music I can create better atmosphere and more immersion into the games I create, it would be a great asset to learn.

But I have no idea where to go or where to start, what I should use etc... I cannot afford much right now.

Could you guys give some tips on where I should start/what I should use? It would be a great first step into this new hobby, its always good to get into something new! :D

Thanks for the help.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you search / look through existing topics?  I'm sure this sort of thing has been asked before and several recommendations offered.

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@shaz I searched everywhere but here.... : P Sorry

@Scythuz thanks!

Dragon Brother

Survive, Adapt, Infest.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've heard of a program called, Logic pro X, it may prove useful to You.

astracat111

Astra Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Most don't go this path, but get into ear training and grind intervals. It's boring and mundane, and yet it will make you years better in a very short amount of time. Try just doing it for 5 minutes for 3 months, do firstly perfect 5th vs perfect 4ths. Be able to sing them and name them up and down and tell the difference between them. All music with the exception of experimental and quarter-tone music uses perfect 5ths and 4ths religiously. 

Then learn M3, m3, sing and name them up and down. Then do M2, m2, M6, m6, then M7 and m7. After, try doing perfect 5ths vs perfect octaves so you don't confuse them. Then test them all together. Remember to be able to name the notes AND sing them AND pick them out quickly. 

This can take 6-12 months for some, but it is WELL worth it. At the expense of sounding overly bold, you will be light years ahead of a vast majority of musicians. 

Don't be afraid to sing, and if you can't sing just do what I do and hum or go "na na na" to yourself.

Then start using software. That'd be how I would do it if I was just starting out, but in the path I just mentioned you have to want to get REALLY good, so you really really have to want it, or else it will seem to mundane to continue.

If you'd just like to create atmospheric music, rather than emotional music, just get a 61-key keyboard for $99 off of ebay.com with a $10-20 sustain pedal (make sure it supports a sustain pedal!), a usb cord and the $100 version of fruityloops. An alternative is reason's "lite" version, which I believe is $150 or something.

If you need to go even cheaper, get like an $80 keyboard off of ebay.com that has usb support and sustain pedal support and couple it with some kind of free piece of software....but the investment money-wise is well worth it, as you may be using something like fruityloops for 5+ years as you learn, so make sure to pick a good piece of software. I picked Reason when it was still Reason 3, and I have never regretted this decision, as now Reason....8? is out (I use 6.5 because I haven't been able to afford to upgrade).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hello, my nickname is Rigomor, but I am also known as Mopsikus. I work on RPG Maker games, and are currently working on a game called Peony of War.
If the world treats you like an enemy... Then the world must be your enemy...
What started as 1 RPG in development on the Nintendo DS, turned into 4 RPGs in development (1 on VX and 3 on VX Ace). Wish me luck.
Last monday Hawkzombie played ATV.

Here are the videos:

Yes, I'm alive. No the semester didn't kill me. Though there are days I feel like I am dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tc633