Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi.

I've been thinking of getting the Pop Horror City packs. I just wanted to know what sizes the characters and everything come in? Are they 48 by 48 or do we get smaller sizes that we can edit and then upscale? I'm new to pixel art and so far I like working small and upscaling.

Cheers.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you buy them from the store here you get both 32x32 scale and 48x48 scale. Steam can only sell them for separate engines so if you buy them there, check to make sure you are getting for the engine you need it for. I’m guessing MV since you mention 48x48.

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you buy them from the store here you get both 32x32 scale and 48x48 scale. Steam can only sell them for separate engines so if you buy them there, check to make sure you are getting for the engine you need it for. I’m guessing MV since you mention 48x48.
oh, ok. So, the 32 x 32 ones are exactly the same once I up-size them, yeah? It just feels nicer to work at that lower res for me. Can you go from 48x48 back down to 32x32?

Or should I just get used to working at MV's 48x48 res?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pop tiles are super easy to size up and down. But really, I don't see why you'd want to buy lower res tiles and size up with this pack. I know for a fact it's how Vexed makes these tiles - she originally draws them at 16x16 and then sizes them up. So, basically she's done the resizing work for you, so I'm not sure why you'd want to do that yourself. Though if you do, yes, resizing these is super simple either way you want to go.

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pop tiles are super easy to size up and down. But really, I don't see why you'd want to buy lower res tiles and size up with this pack. I know for a fact it's how Vexed makes these tiles - she originally draws them at 16x16 and then sizes them up. So, basically she's done the resizing work for you, so I'm not sure why you'd want to do that yourself. Though if you do, yes, resizing these is super simple either way you want to go.
Yeah, I've used some of the Time Fantasy assets before and working smaller and then upscaling just felt like a nicer way to work. It's probably better I just get used to bigger sizes though. I guess I'll get the MV versions. Thanks for the help.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If I'm editing Time Fantasy or POP tiles I always downscale them back to 16x16 to work on before scaling them back up to the right size in whatever RM engine I'm using at the time. It's just a whole lot faster and working at the bigger size is extra work to keep the pixels consistent. If that's what you're going for, then I don't see a reason to get used to drawing at the larger size. Resizing is smart. If your edits are just copy and paste or recolors though, resizing isn't worth it.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, my apologies. Yes, for editing, it's easiest to size them down, then back up.

And actually, at least one of the packs - I think this character pack - comes with nude bases in a 16x16 format, with resizing instructions.

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I'm editing Time Fantasy or POP tiles I always downscale them back to 16x16 to work on before scaling them back up to the right size in whatever RM engine I'm using at the time. It's just a whole lot faster and working at the bigger size is extra work to keep the pixels consistent. If that's what you're going for, then I don't see a reason to get used to drawing at the larger size. Resizing is smart. If your edits are just copy and paste or recolors though, resizing isn't worth it.
Yeah, awesome. That's generally what I was thinking with the working smaller approach.

I basically am doing copy and paste and recolors. I'm actually thinking of mixing Time Fantasy sprites with Pop City Horror ones. I think I like the heads on the Pop City stuff more than the Time Fantasy ones, but I like the bodies and anims better on the Time Fantasy.

Okay, my apologies. Yes, for editing, it's easiest to size them down, then back up.

And actually, at least one of the packs - I think this character pack - comes with nude bases in a 16x16 format, with resizing instructions.
Oh, nice. Thanks for letting me know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

stock analyst lady
Well, since I'm in lockdown, I guess it's finally time to get serious into rpgmaking... almost 20 years later.
Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FIL