What skill acquisition method do you use?

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
(Mods, I've posted this here since I simply want to ask for people's opinions, not ask for support. It's not that related to game-making. That being said, please move to the appropriate section if this is not)

I've been meaning to ask this for a while: What method do you use for skill acquisition in your game? Do you just use the default means of learning spells and moves when a character reaches a level? Reading books, buying a scroll, copying/stealing from an enemy? Buying the actual spell from a merchant or master? From equipment, like in FF IX? Any methods from other games that you liked seeing, or that you'd like to implement in your game?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You gain a slot to equip whatever skill you like. You can change it outside of the combat. The slot increases as you level up.

CrocPirate

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I usually have a skill shop of some kind to buy skills. Though in the game I'm working on, the characters either gain skill from buying them from certain characters or as a reward for completing a side quest.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For my RM2K3 game, base skills were acquired by levelling up, and upgraded base skills were acquired by levelling up some more. Limited skills were acquired by extracting them from weapons (once per item), and each character could equip only 1 limited skill at a time.

In RTP, all active skills are unlocked from the start. Passive skills are acquired through game progress.

For my MZ game, active skills are acquired through early game progress. Upgraded active skills are acquired through mid-game progress. Passive skills are acquired randomly through game progress and from treasure chests, and are equippable (a character can equip only a limited number of passive skills).

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
While I don't really into skill acquisition since my game design doesn't accommodate skill learning mechanics, the only method of gaining a new skill is by Promotion system, which is basically an overglorified vanilla level up system where your character may gain skills upon level up.

I mean, everyone has their own skills learned from the start, each of them is unique and tied to a character and only that character. So... yeah.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i went with a build your own class system

unlock skills through quests but still need to spend JP to learn the skills afterwards,
and need to equip the skills which can only change in safe areas.
each character can learn some from levels but every character can learn all skills through the JP system.

freakytapir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Every Character has his Main class they cannot Change, and will teach them new skills on level up.
On top of this they can equip a 'Soul Gem', basically a Subclass with the serial numbers filed off, that allows them to Learn other classes skills through JP, while also giving some basic Skills.

So the warrior will learn Double strike, Counterattack and so on automatically, but if he Equips the 'Priestess' Soul Gem, he will gain Cure and Esuna, and can learn Cura and Life by buying it with JP.
Off wourse, all skills need to be equipped.

Grunwave

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
FFT definitely has the best skill system of any game I have played. DAOC handled their casters' development well, but melee classes felt a bit limited.

For my project, I created 11 classes. Each has 25 skills which are acquired when leveling. I ended up creating 170ish unique skills.

I always enjoyed the different group combinations you could create in FF1 and was heavily inspired by that. My game is meant to have replay value.

In a game focused on playing through a single time, I think having more control over your skills is more fun. If I had taken that approach, I think I would have emulated FFT's system.

KrimsonKatt

The Endless
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Usually by level up if I can, and if it doesn't work with the existing systems I have in place (I.E. a system that allows freely changing classes) I use an SP method where you get set SP by defeating enemies and then use that SP to purchase skills from a menu. In that system, SP is tied to class, not character, so you still have to use strategy in what classes you have equipped at what time to learn enough SP to buy the right skills so you can beat the boss. This also allows class progression to be separate from level progression while also not punishing the player too hard for changing classes mid-way through. For example, characters that join later start with bonus SP in every class, and also when you unlock a new class all characters currently in your party start out with some SP already, though to deracinate the characters a bit more certain characters start with more SP in certain classes than others, like the priest character having more starting SP in magickal classes while the warrior princess has more starting SP in more physical classes.

SchmurrProd

New Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Usually by level up if I can, and if it doesn't work with the existing systems I have in place (I.E. a system that allows freely changing classes) I use an SP method where you get set SP by defeating enemies and then use that SP to purchase skills from a menu.
This is exactly what I was looking for. How does that work?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Mystery messages from my AI assistant. :kaojoy:
1632842960834.png
Made some updates to a previous project I was working on. Trying to mimic the 16 bit Squaresoft aesthetic.

Me (last Thursday): So, now I will...
Random Virus: NO
It's important to equip your GF.
vufFBXN.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichLatinKing