Lunawolfcomics

The Omega
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone, so I was thinking back to all of my game/project ideas are started to wonder where I got the original ideas from. The current project I'm working on, The Perfectionist, is an idea I've had for a really long time and never pushed myself to make a game for it until last year. I always loved sci-fi themes and the idea of breaking out of a prison per say with anomalies hunting you down left and right really sparked interest in me. So with that said, I'm curious as to where you all got your past/current RPG Maker project ideas? :)

Briar_Rose

Queen Bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Current Project Inspiration - Mostly from Dr. Who, haha. However some of it is just a mix of some of my favorite genres when it comes to world settings ... mix that with actually researched science and my love for plot twists and a good romance story and you've got Lover's Rift. :p   Most of it does stem from Dr. Who though in how it's set up.  ^.^

Razelle

Out of Date Hallucination
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Entish
Primarily Uses
It all stemmed from my desire to create a no-nonsense character that walks a very thin line between good and evil. Then I figured out what I wanted from a game that I wasn't really finding anywhere else, or that's in very short supply. The story came secondary to those desires, but I'm glad I decided to forge the story based on that little bit of information, because it's turning out to be really interesting to me.

This will also be the first time in a long time that I opted for anything less than futuristic sci-fi since I was a kid. I'll save the sci-fi epics for when I'm sure I can handle them in RPG Maker.

Rhaeami

The Sleepy-Eyed One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like to think that my current project is half my own ideas and half stuff that naturally emerged from the limitations of the engine and my experience with it.  A year ago or so, for the Indie Game Maker Contest they were running, I started fiddling with RPG Maker completely from scratch, having no idea how things would turn out.  The art that came with the RTP, the way the battle system worked by default... all of this ended up influencing the game's direction until it became its own sort of thing.  The entire project was just... completely spontaneous.  I can't even say for sure what I might have taken ideas from, or not.  I just made things, tweaked them until they worked, and let the game 'make itself', in a way. :guffaw:

That said, toward the end, I did start to weave in bits and pieces of other projects and ideas I've had, so... I guess I got my inspiration from my earlier self!  It's a bit of a meta answer, but when you have stuff bouncing around your head for a decade, it's hard to remember where it came from in the beginning!

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I finished 3 games in my RPG Maker life, all small ones . . . the first, Fantasy on Mother's Day was really inspired from another small RPG game about Christmas (although I don't really remember its name XD). I wanted to make a small game, too with a cute plot so I made up a story about Mother's Day. XD

The second is Arabian Nights: The Three Apples and just from the name, you can tell that it's based on one of the stories in Arabian Nights book with some tweaks on my part. XD

Lastly but definitely not the least, Fantasy on Valentine's Day, which came from my desire to make a continuation of my first game but definitely not a sequel as it has a completely different story.

And well, my current project-still a secret but it's an idea I randomly got during a lecture. XD

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My games usually come from sudden ideas that just randomly pop up. Some of my "older" ideas come from dreams I vaguely remember. Others (like my newest one) come from questions I asked myself (such as: Where do those treasure chests come from?)
Others come from titles that just pop up in my mind. So basically, the initial idea of my games are random and if I like that idea, I build a story around it. (That's why I have so many game ideas Oo)

I have only one game that has a little more history behind it. My brother used to play Phantasy Star Online and I watched him. We made up stories for the characters he created and at some point, I wrote a whole story for it. Since it still took place in that universe, I later rewrote the setting into a more fantasy one and added new things to it. The names, personalities and connections of the characters are still the same, but the story is different. I still feel like it's a precious story to me though.

rondchild

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
Darkness of Hope, from my life experience and references by FFVIII and Pandora Hearts.

Im too perfectionist for this project LOL

check this one,

dS6HPfQ.jpg
The second, Kitten Mita. is fable story :)

CrazyCrab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
For me it's simply the lack of strategy citybuilders nowadays... there are all these shooters, horrors and RTS games but I can't remember the last time I played a non-modern citybuilder game.

I mean in the past we had all these games like Anno, Majesty, Sierra games, Settlers and all the others. Nowadays it feels like the only games coming out are Mobile ones or Browser ones, both ridiculously pay to win. Yeah, there are some indies, but they're few and far between.

So yeah, you're not going to give me a game that I'm looking for AAA market? I'll just make a game that I want to play myself and hope that others feel the same. :)

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, here we go then.

Dreadmurk - inspired by my first Ace game (that shall remain unnamed), since the main 3 characters of Dreadmurk were villains in that game, and I really wanted to explore their personalities and have them redeem themselves in the underworld.

Incitement - I wanted to make an epic sci-fi RPG spanning multiple planets and alien races. (Some games that acted as inspiration: Deus Ex, Mass Effect, FFVII)

Central Impulse - Having done Inc 1, I felt really drained and wanted to make a shorter, less epic game, but one that focused heavily on puzzles and mini-games. I also wanted to make it so that all characters within it are robots and to explore a theme of A.I and sentience.

Unrevealed - I wanted to have a go at making a short horror game and to try to scare people.

Incitement 2 - Inspired by the first game. Some people, including myself, thought the world I've created in the first one was interesting enough for a sequel.

Atonement - I wanted to make a game where the same story is witnessed from two antagonizing points of view. I already used this idea in some of my old XP games, but this time I wanted to make it much more believable and epic. I also wanted to make a full length game using PVGames graphics.

Just Face It - Inspired by the Super Awesome Face contest. :D

Harbingers of Woe - After I made the 4 Horsemen sprites and animated battlers for Halloween ReStaff, I felt inspired to make a short dungeon crawler game about them.

Incitement 3 - The epic sci-fi trilogy needed a conclusion, especially looking at how the 2nd game ended. :)

demonhead

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I started my game because I'm learning Japanese. I originally started it to help me study Japanese. Then as it started looking more like a game, I decided to try and turn it into one.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I started with the Unity engine actually.

After having played To the Moon, I realized that I could use the RPG Maker engine to do the same, without all the 3D stuff that were too difficult for me to handle.
So I decided to make my own game, and tell a story in a different way (no need for a copy of TtM, there's room for everyone) while bringing more to the table, especially interactivity.

Lunawolfcomics

The Omega
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BlackRoseMii

Yeah most of my ideas just randomly pop up too lol, it's very rare for me to not have a moment where some sort of idea doesn't arise. I keep a small notebook besides my bed in the event of an inspiring dream or nightmare, and have a notepad app on the phone for any ideas that come on the go 

@Matseb2611

Whoah you have so many games under your belt o.0, how do you manage all of this? It's gotta be pretty hectic in some regards.

@cafbe

I've been wanting to try the Unity engine. I figured I'd make a few more RPG Maker games then at some point within the next year or two I'll go for Unity

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks. Most of it is probably just due to working on the games each and every day. Though admittedly, most of my games are short to medium in length. Some are only about 2-3 hours, and the longest ones are only about 7-10 hours. I haven't made any 20+ hour games yet. :)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My love for the presentation and artstyle of JRPGs but the rarity of mature storylines. I've been waiting forever for a JRPG with high production aesthetics to have characters with the depth you'd find in WRPGs such as Baldur's Gate. Only Final Fantasy VI and some Fire Emblem titles have managed to scratch this itch for me. Every other one is just "young teenage boy with cardboard personality saves the world". Making a game (even if it may never be finished) and drawing art is just fun to do since it fuels my imagination for my dream game, i.e. if you can't buy it, make it.

Onomotopoeia

I don't know, nobody's told me yet.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In my case, something akin to Matseb's, I have this science-fiction series that I've been writing and re-writing for a number of years; and in part, I wanted a simple game-maker to just "visualize" certain parts of the stories. Granted, the default RM tilesets are more-or-less inspired of fantasy rather than technology; but if you build your own kind of mental "tileset map-key", you can make do withthe little that's available for VX Ace.

Anyway; that's how it all began, for me. Nowadays, I've gotten more interested in designing my own rpg-maker from scratch, for a couple reasons that extend past visualizing my own novels.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game I'm currently working on is inspired by an idea that I wanted to take some of the things that were a bit horrifying in life and dare to laugh at them.  I love things that are a bit dark, non nonchalant, and macabre and mix them a coat of colorful and cheerful pain. 

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
my game I currently make is somewhat a idea of the legendary rtp story from vx ...the one where you have Ralph who save the world from the evil overlord and blabla...well my game is after with Ralph young sister : D

the story come after I wanted to make a next generation for the rtp and hidennone and other peeps like ms-littlefish was like when I made a fast sketch of ralph : this look like a girl.....and BAM here born leandre  the young sister of ralph..and after it was primordial to make a game who follow the sames pattern of ralph

(just for say...the game with Ralph don't really exist this just the story who get created  around the hero ralph I think xD?)

but out of that most of my game idea can come from anything seriously I have a good imagination I think c: !

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I found myself complaining about every game. How I criticized everything I played. I then discovered RPG Maker on the Steam summer sale and thought "Hey, if there are no games to play let's create one I'd personally enjoy playing" and here I'm :) I didn't believe it would take so much time though xD! But I don't regret a thing! I also got to try out some good projects that are, in my opinion, worth more than AAA titles (most of them are still on development though :/).

I'm mostly inspired by visual novels I've played that really changed my life in a way (especially the KID ones). I really enjoy taking part of a story rather than mindlessly killing terrorists or just seeing anime girls with big boobs (I don't mind them if the game has good plot though >o<). I even named the protagonist of my game after me :p

So yee, you could say my frustration is my inspiration xD!

King Sangos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For years I've had the urge to create a surreal RPG world, but was never quite sure on what approach I could take with it. But it wasn't until last September that my creative juices started flowing. My beloved girlfriend showed me a small series by Markiplier following the RPG Maker game, OFF. I was so intrigued by the art style and theme of the game that I couldn't help but imagine making a game just like that. In terms of face value and design-wise, the game seemed incredibly easy to mimic. But as always, I wanted to take my own approach to the game and started making several adjustments to the game's idea.

And now, six months after that moment, I'm halfway to the completion of my RPG Maker VX Ace game, BLANK. It's been a blast working on it so far and I'm still excited to work on it, even now.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We're playing another Touch the Stars game jam entry, come join us! :D
Ok is telling someone that their drawing isnt good rude
I'm familiar with MZ thanks to jam now. I say it's a better working and looking MV. Lots of plugins too and FOSSIL helps alot. It's not bad.
Some more progress <3 and in most important news:
ALPACARAPTOR SPRITE! (not animated yet, though :( )
h4u90Sz.png
Caz
At the risk of giving myself even more work to do, I kinda wanna redraw the faces of the MV RTP to be a little less.. uhhhhh..

mv-redraw.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StaciaStay