What to use to make art

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Manofdusk, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Manofdusk

Manofdusk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    First off, I'm not entirely sure where to put this particular question. It SEEMS like the right forum.... (if it matters, I'm using MV)

But I'm really wanting to get into art creation. I'm finding that my biggest limiting factor is that I don't have the art I need to progress my games beyond a very basic point (I love making mechanics but I find that the game just sort of grinds to a halt due to lack of art).

What I want to know is... what exactly can I get to help me along with that? I want something I can draw with using a stylus (as I've made attempts with a mouse and find it to be horrible) and I've been trying to use Paint.net as my primary means of making art. Thing is, when trying to ask using a search engine I get huge list of products and I'm not even really sure what I'm looking at.

So, anyone know what I should be looking for?
    ... or maybe anything I could look up to help me get started? (especially with parallax mapping. I definitely want to try my hand at that)

2. Trihan

Trihan Speedy Scripter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think a lot of the artists around here either use GIMP or Photoshop. I've also heard good things about Graphics Gale.

The game making humble bundle I bought a while ago came with Spriter Pro but I haven't used it enough to advise on its viability.

3. mogwai

mogwai 1984 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For vector, I use an ancient program called Freehand MX because I learned it in college. I don't recommend it. I'm supposed to learn Illustrator, but I'm too set in my ways.

I use GIMP for raster.
    Went broke after buying Photoshop CS6, had to pawn it on eBay to pay bills, and then I also did a year of Creative Cloud, but when it was all said and done, I realize all I mostly ever ever did in Photoshop was crop. So I forced myself to get over my Gimp-isn't-Photoshop stigma.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    as for the alternative to the mouse, you'll need a graphic tablet.
    There are dozens of different manufacturers who produce them in different sizes, so it's mostly a question on how much you can and want to pay for one.
    Usually Wacom has the better quality ones, but for a beginner that just wants to test things you might want to start with a small no-name product (those should be available for less than 30$ if you search a bit, or even less if used on ebay). A large tablet for professional use can easily go to several hundred dollars, especially if it is one with inbuild display (so that you directly see what and where to draw)

5. mjshi

mjshi Jack of Most Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Paint Tool Sai is pretty good for character spriteart and title art/CGs.
    I've also heard Medibang Paint Pro is a good free photoshop/manga studio alternative.

HeroLite likes this.
  6. HeroLite

HeroLite stinky weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    gonna back up the gal vouching for paint tool sai. it's pretty good & easy to get into, you can't go wrong with it.

7. Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen Professional Tonio Apologist Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For CGs, Get Clip Studio when it's on sale, or a free alternative, Medibang Paint.
    GIMP is good enough for sprite work but I find the Game Character Hub a bit convenient for quick characters (but not really much on the controls/UI since I'm used to GIMP)

8. Lithalean

Lithalean Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Photoshop / Illustrator
    & / or
    Affinity Photo / Affinity Designer

9. PlayBoyMan

PlayBoyMan Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I use Photoshop and Pyxel Edit. Both are good for a variety of artwork. I use both of them to make and enhance the sprites I'm working on for my games.

10. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Sprites - Photoshop (haven't tried onion skinning for animation in photoshop)
    Tiles - Pyxel Edit

Also right now adobe is being lenient about students they're not verifying or even asking for a school e-mail, take advantage while you can.

11. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On my iPad, Procreate, Tayasui Sketches and Adobe Collections are my tools.

12. Ogedei

Ogedei Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I use a combination of Clip Studio and GIMP. I know Photoshop is usually the more popular choice and has endless options, but Clip Studio is far more user-friendly and comes with a good variety brushes for multiple effects. Having a graphic tablet helps, too. I have a basic $80 Wacom tablet, which is good enough for doing subtle textures and editing, but if you're looking to do complicated portraiture or dramatic scenery, it's extremely awkward and takes a lot of practice to get accustomed. The tablet pen movements don't always translate very well. Unfortunately Wacom tablets come in two extremes - the awkward cheap ones and the extremely expensive professional ones that cost up to $600-700.

13. Papillon Effect

Papillon Effect Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I use Clip Studio Paint. It's the cheapest of the pay for art programs, you can get it on amazon for 20 bucks or so. There are a lot of tutorials for it. It's also called Manga Studio by the way. They changed the name sometime back. It works really well with my drawing tablets. I have an Intuos and a Mobilestudio Pro. It's designed to work with the pen sensitivity of graphics tablets. So it's a good pick.

14. SlySlySly

SlySlySly Princess Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I personally find photoshop is worth it. Although it's expensive, it has a wide variety of tools that I often use. I do all my digital art in photoshop and it is very convenient for sprite making as well as other art. Drawing tablet-wise, I would suggest getting something that you can use. Not everybody is decent with those screen less tablets, but they are also really handy if you can use one. I'd suggest getting one you can use for a while and for multiple things! I use photoshop and my drawing tablet for a lot, including work and side projects, so money is worth it. But it's really up to you and how much you're going to use it.

15. umbralshadows

umbralshadows the silks angel Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I use a combo of Paint tool sai and Photoshop. For everything.