What type of encounters do you prefer?

Which encounter type to you prefer playing?

• Random Encounter

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • On screen enemies

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • Random Encounter with Enc 1/2 Enc none etc.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

KawaiiKid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So there are several types of encounters found in rpgs, most of which now days are on screen. Which type of enemy encounters do you prefer in your game? Explain your answer if you could, and I look forward to seeing the responses of those of you that choose "other".

I personally prefer on screen encounters. It makes me feel a bit less nervous and makes the game feel less tedious even if it isn't at all.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I prefer on screen encounters because I like to see what's coming and I like to have the opportunity to avoid encounters when I want. I know you can have the options to reduce and avoid when you have a random encounter system; however, I loathe random encounters... This probably is because so many rpg's used random encounters while I was growing up and playing games as a kid. If I get into a battle, I want it to be because I chose the encounter, or because I was unable to evade the on-screen encounter, not because I had a 1/35 chance of getting into a battle when I took a step.

KoalaFrenzy

Eucalyptus Salad. Every day.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pokemon is probably the only game doing random encounters correctly, where it's random in a specific zone that you can choose to walk out of. But they still have caves full of zubats that everyone hates.

These days, I think people do random encounters because they don't have appropriate walking sprites for all their monsters. It's either way more expensive or way more time consuming if you can make them yourself if you have a large variety of monsters to animate.

daheji

Call me Dah
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I don't have any preference between a random encounter are one that is on screen.
But I do like it when there is some kind of feature to make the random encounter a bit more exciting or different.

One feature that I like is to be able to turn off the random encounter in game after certain event or numbers of monsters defeated. Like in Cthulu Saves the world, after a certain number of encounters in a certain area, the random encounters are turned off and you can they go on exploring the map.

I also how like random encounters is used in Undertale Genocide Route. It gets really eerie and does make you question your own actions. Going so far for all of that!

Also, it really depends on the battle system, and where you actually have to fight.

For example, Caves in Pokemon with all those fricking Zubat or Geodude or whatever you'll meet thousands of time. This gets tiring really fast, because half of the time, you encounter those two pokemon. Worst is when a rock type has the Sturdy ability... Such a waste of time.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KoalaFrenzy Yeah, but I remember Romanacing Sage games doing on screen encounters during their PS1 days, and they used a sprite that represented the type of monster you would fight: a wolf for beast types, a bird for flying types, a plant pod for nature types, etc. So I mean there are ways to get around needing umpteen sprites to represent every single possible enemy you'd fight.

KoalaFrenzy

Eucalyptus Salad. Every day.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, you can get away with using a few generic sprites if they're fairly close to the monster they represent. Even those generic sprites can get quite numerous though, depending on how big your game is and you want to provide variety for the player. You can do things like recolors, but the end user might think you're being a bit cheap if they're staring at the same monster sprite 10 hours into a game.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe so, it seems the newer DragonQuest games use that strategy, recolored sprites. Not just for on-screen encounter sprites though, but also for most of the battler sprites in the game. It is a bit meh

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
On screen is obviously the preferred choice, too bad most enemy graphics resources don't provide an on map graphic for each one though.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On screen. I cannot stand random encounters, particularly when you are a much higher level than the area you are in and are just trying to get somewhere quickly. The drops are not worth it in that area, and it can be tedious just trying to cross a map when every few steps is a forced encounter.

KawaiiKid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
On screen is obviously the preferred choice, too bad most enemy graphics resources don't provide an on map graphic for each one though.
Yeah definitely agree, in fact this is the problem I'm having right now. I was thinking about a solution, and really the only 2 things I could think of was to have a generic, shadowy / foggy / whispy figure represent enemies on the map. This could actually work for my game since enemies are already kind of drawn from the ether any way. And the second option would be to display just the battle images on the map...but I think this would just look goofy as it would just be a static figure floating around lol

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
On-screen encounter, preferable with some randomness out of it (random placement, random troop, or even random spawn). I never bothered about the same symbol encounter. I actually prefer it to be that way so it's an abstract concept. A fog or flame, but you can encounter many types of encounters in that symbol. Fine by me.

Kato-A

Artist and developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really really hate random encounters xD
It is annoying when for example you are trying to solve a puzzle or you want to get to a place quickly, and the battles are very boring, repetitive or poorly balanced.
I prefer to see the enemies on screen and decide whether to fight them or ignore them.
or better yet a game without fights :kaopride:

Last edited:

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah definitely agree, in fact this is the problem I'm having right now. I was thinking about a solution, and really the only 2 things I could think of was to have a generic, shadowy / foggy / whispy figure represent enemies on the map. This could actually work for my game since enemies are already kind of drawn from the ether any way. And the second option would be to display just the battle images on the map...but I think this would just look goofy as it would just be a static figure floating around lol
Yeah that's what I did. I basically used the "flame" sprite for generic enemies. I got a red flame for common enemies that respawn after a time, a blue flame for more difficult encounters that do not respawn and green flames for area specific mini-bosses.

I also used different sprites for faction-related enemies.

I know most people probably won't know this game, but I took inspiration from the RPG "Guardians Crusade" from the PS1. They had ghost like creatures flying about and their color indicated their strenght relative to your party. The stronger the ghosts, the more aggresively they chased the player. If the enemies were weak compared to you, they would flee instead. Touching a ghost would initiate the battle of course.

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depends on the game, I prefer a random style encounter especially if it's an RPG that needs a lot grind to get money or power level. of course, as long there's a way to avoid/repel random encounters like spell or item.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I really really hate random encounters xD
It is annoying when for example you are trying to solve a puzzle or you want to get to a place quickly, and the battles are very boring, repetitive or poorly balanced.
I prefer to see the enemies on screen and decide whether to fight them or ignore them.
or better yet a game without fights :kaopride:
This sounds like the problem lies in the battle system or you simply don't like a game with battle. Not about the type of encounter.

Kato-A

Artist and developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This sounds like the problem lies in the battle system or you simply don't like a game with battle. Not about the type of encounter.
Yeah, xD sorry, I prefer games with no battle, but sometimes I like them, when they are cool, original and they're no random encounter.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I definitely prefer encounters on screen that you can see. It's not so much about maybe being able to avoid them, but I like that if I'm on a map and I've killed all the enemies I need to, I can explore without getting into a battle. That's what always drove me crazy about random encounters. Eventually it gets boring, tedious, annoying and it deters exploration.

Although I've also considered just battles that are part of the story only. So no encounters outside of the story. Might make the battles more epic if you only focus on those story-based battles.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On screen for the same reasons as @mlogan stated.
Also the fact that in the 30+ years Ive been playing games I've grown rather bored with random encounters and the list of times I didnt like them far outweigh the one or two games I think it worked lol

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Either is fine with me, As long as I am made aware of Encounter rate. What i mean is something like an Encounter Gauge or Indicator. I would also like to see Games with more Gear, Abilities based around avoiding or facing Encounters.

Personally, I choose to have 1 Encounter every 120 - 150 Steps in my Game and I am giving Players the choice to know when they will soon be facing an encounter. Such a Feature helps Players to be prepared for an encounter. Encounters can be fun or annoying, Depending on when they happen. Too Frequent encounters are always boring ! I rather have an encounter once every minute or so, The Player going around searching for Encounter is what makes it exciting, Not the other way around.

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
weird that in my youth
I like random encounter
maybe because I have more time to farm and collect thing
very addict to game like pokemon and ff
that keep eternity to catch them all or master all materia

but... now as a poor busy adult
I more like avoid able enemy
and finish all thing as fast as I can
stealth kill on map tactic kill etc is something I really appreciation on modern game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Evening humans! How goes thou day?
Aaaargh I twisted/sprained my ankle a week ago, now Im stuck at home. I mean Im almost healed lol, but my parents probably wouldnt let me go outside because theres a lot of snows and they thought I slipped on a snow (I just had a bit too big booths and thats why :<). Aw man...And a new boruto op came out and its fire. It will be hard not to vibe to it when I cant go out :/
SF_Actor3_7(Alex) added!

Well that was three hours of work down the drain, because GIMP froze and I forgot to save anything.
for who interested in a example boilerplate pixijs with snowpack , i made a branch with pixijs .
Web and Desktop, nwjs is not required.
https://github.com/nwutils/SnowPack-nw/tree/PixiJs
I definitely give up Parcel bundler !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magadite