What type of game is most popular to make with RPG maker.

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
So, yeh. Don't say RPG's... :)

For example do most games include the battle system, or is there a significant amount of people that write more single
character puzzle/story based games without the battle and party system being used?
And is there a recognised convention or level of graphics. For example would a game with line drawing and silloweted graphics ever be seen as 'good' in RPG maker. Or is there a certain expectation?

It may give you an idea of the style I was looking at if you look at my title screen:
MainMenu-Background.png
The graphics arn't done yet but would be simmilar to that of an old game of mine:
summerAtlisDemo.jpgobjectsAtlasDemo.jpg

I know I won't get that much movement frames into XP, but you get the idea.

Would this be seen as too simplictic a graphics stype and put any potential audience off for this genure?
Honest opinions would be appreciated before I start anything. Thanks.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG's!

just joking, it depends on the game.
I make a single actor game, with puzzle, adventure, action.
because I love Zelda Games, Golden Sun etc, so I want to mix them.

I'm not against group of people that has 4 or more.
Golden sun 2 uses 8 characters, also because each have their own
unique skill to get through or specific to them or class.

how you build your game is entirely up to you, some games
are for selected people, some people like to read more than battles,
other like puzzles more, I love a mix of them :)

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're kind of asking several different questions, when you start with "what do most people do," then go off to "do a significant number of people," "do any people"...

Obviously, most people are going to make the kind of game that the engine is designed to easily produce.

The more you diverge from that, the fewer people are going to do it.

But you seem to have some confused misconceptions with
And is there a recognised convention or level of graphics. For example would a game with line drawing and silloweted graphics ever be seen as 'good' in RPG maker. Or is there a certain expectation?
The people you're talking to on these forums are, primarily, not the people who would be buying/playing your game.

Most of those players are not going to necessarily have any idea you made your game in RPG Maker, unless you give it that tag on Steam or leave the splashscreen in or something.

They just see an indie game with the description you wrote and go from there.

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
ShadowDragon, yes it would be a single actor game, with puzzle, adventure, action and would be fairly text heavy. So I'm glad people do make that sort of thing with RPG Maker. Shows I'm not tring to make apple-crumbel with oranges.

Thanks ATT_Turan, I think you are right in that I had the idea of an RPG Maker audience, in the same way that there is a PICO-8 audiance. But, yes I suppose that is the wrong thinking. I was thinking this could be the right crowd to ask as they would have an idea of who plays RPG Maker games, and were writing for that demographick. But based on the above this could be 'wrong thinking' on my part.

The game I was thinking about making would be different to but using the same idea as a game I first started making in XNA years ago. It was RPG like, but I stopped that when XNA died and have often thought of redoing it - but different!

Last edited:

BoredDudesGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not sure if this is a proper awnser, but my introduction to RPG Maker was Ao Oni and various other horror games made with the older XP-VX Ace engines.
They're typically single player puzzle focused games with minimal stories and plenty of jumpscares, and they almost always have no combat what so ever since being defenseless is a staple of horror games (Not one I nessisary agree with but that is besides the point).
If you want a good example of what I am talking about, Witches House and the formentioned Ao Oni are pretty good examples of "typical" RPG Maker horror games.

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Thanks, that helps. This wouldn't solely be out-and-out jumpscare horror game, more thriller suspence and perceved threat.I will look up those games as they sound close to what I have in mind.

Ingwer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not sure if this is a proper awnser, but my introduction to RPG Maker was Ao Oni and various other horror games made with the older XP-VX Ace engines.
They're typically single player puzzle focused games with minimal stories and plenty of jumpscares, and they almost always have no combat what so ever since being defenseless is a staple of horror games (Not one I nessisary agree with but that is besides the point).
If you want a good example of what I am talking about, Witches House and the formentioned Ao Oni are pretty good examples of "typical" RPG Maker horror games.
This.

The most mainstream players only know RPG Maker games for things like these. Other variations are "popular project XYZ" that blew up, or "just another game made in RPG Maker".

For all these reasons, I would actually say making a game which is not instantly recognizable as made with this engine, and only using it to make it work - is actually a good thing. Making your game look or feel unique, either by artwork or how it plays/tells it's story is quite important. If it has any catch to it that people might jump on is even better.
If you go from that in reverse, doing what the engine offers you out of the box is the more obvious approach, but will give you less of an impactful result most of the time, depending on how you made it in terms of assets and gameplay. Doing a typical jrpg with a front-view battle system without any catch for example, will need a bigger artistic or gameplay/story twist to really stand out. I would even go as far as saying that, while it is a software for making rpgs, not that many (groups of) people actually play these modern 2D rpgs and what they offer.

Now, as said this goes for the "main" group of players. I do think that it also applies to specific platforms (like this forum) to some extent, especially if you count in silent users. But the more "niche" a platform is (for example this forum is specifically made to bring users of the engine together), your results may vary.

The most important thing however is: What do you want do to?
It can of course be part of your wish to create something that is easily recognizable and hooks your potential players. But maybe you just want to create the game like you stated above without having to rely on such things?

Just something to think about. While stating all of the above, I myself do make a more or less typical jrpg with front-view battle system - simply because that is what I want to create and forcing yourself to do something else normally doesn't go well in the longrun.
Also, take it with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own perspective and while one has to reflect it as if it would be the general opinion, I could also overstating it a tad.

KawaiiKid

Local Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you look at most of the best selling games made in rpg maker, most of them weren't traditional turn based rpgs.

HankB

Actual size
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From all the RM games I've downloaded and played (maybe around 60 at this point), a very large majority seem to be very story driven. Lots of dialogue you have to get through before you can actually start playing (by "playing" I mean making your own decisions as a player, rather than just reading text). Sort of like a graphic novel.

The built-in combat system is usually used, so you'll be walking through a map and suddenly you're in combat, and have to try to figure out what "TP" means.

would a game with line drawing and silhouetted graphics ever be seen as 'good' in RPG maker. Or is there a certain expectation?

Any graphic choice can be outstanding, it just depends how you use it. The show South Park blew up immediately when it was first aired, and the graphics were so terrible that it was actually funny. Or look at the game West of Loathing, it's all stick figures and is extremely popular. We live in the age of hipsters and nostalgia, where low quality graphics is often more of an asset than a liability.

As far as puzzle games, that's about all I make, and I think RM is very well suited for that, if you have the right plugins.

123edc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
*reads the headline*

uhm ... uh ... yeah, rpg's obviously xD

also, you should never underestimate the sheer number of ecchi games out there xD

romanticmisery.

Humanoid Exotica
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
People prefer horror games nowadays, i'm always amazed to find more and more people are either making H-games in the engine or Horror games.

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Hmmm... Well I'm just in the planning stage for a sort of suspence/mystery game. I'm looking at making it in a black and white 'shadow play' type style. But right now I'm not sure how to display Black text! always seems to be the simple things that get you stuck!

sugarcr4sh

[ typing loudly ]
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Completely agree !! I was also introduced to rpg maker with the "indie horror" genre - my first being Ib, followed by Witch's House. I think a common thread in those classics along with the other rpg maker games is some sort of puzzle mechanic (whether in a dungeon or finding a key), although you have to make sure they're not too basic or you'll have agitated players haha.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
RPGs, and no, I do not care about your rules human! Down with the rules!

Good day and good luck on your game.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I live breathe and write rpg's. that's what i like that's what i create. most of my games rotting on my hard drive were old d&d club campaigns that i couldn't finish when the group got disbanded by hating religious parents (the panic in the 80s and 90s). i can create other genres (platformers, card games, shooters, puzzles etc) i suck at 3d lolol. my first rpgs emulated the old ssi gold box games. then when i got into isometric rpgs, i was making diablo clones like everybody else. i'm an artist so i can create any style i like, so it's not difficult for me. i make my midi music on my old casio and go around making foley for sfx. i pretty much wear all the hats. that's why it's taking me a decade to get a game done since i want to prove i can do it all :rswt

there's nothing new under the sun, just how you tell a story.

So, yeh. Don't say RPG's... :)

For example do most games include the battle system, or is there a significant amount of people that write more single
character puzzle/story based games without the battle and party system being used?

It may give you an idea of the style I was looking at if you look at my title screen:
View attachment 228398
The graphics arn't done yet but would be simmilar to that of an old game of mine:
View attachment 228399View attachment 228400

I know I won't get that much movement frames into XP, but you get the idea.

Would this be seen as too simplictic a graphics stype and put any potential audience off for this genure?
Honest opinions would be appreciated before I start anything. Thanks.

that's fine for the game you're creating. each story has their own unique look sound and feel. i wouldn't trip too hard off it.

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
This.

.... I would actually say making a game which is not instantly recognizable as made with this engine, and only using it to make it work - is actually a good thing. Making your game look or feel unique, either by artwork or how it plays/tells it's story is quite important. If it has any catch to it that people might jump on is even better. ...

So do you think this is still instantly recognisable as an RPG maker game? Does it stand out?
1657655853472.png
Here the hanging figure is in the foreground, so all the playfield moved behind it.
The areas only scroll left to right, with oter 'rooms' being entered through doors.

Thers a demonsration video on this page here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/the-history-of-hauntly-hall.148732/

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think this has turned into less of a "what most people normally make" and more into a "what you normally make" which is fine as that's easier to answer. I honestly like to make anything that pushes the engine. Huge visual novels, endless runners, horror games with no graphics, board games, etc. (I don't know why I'm saying etc. I haven't made any other games besides what I've listed, LOL.)

dogmari

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So do you think this is still instantly recognisable as an RPG maker game? Does it stand out?
View attachment 234532
Here the hanging figure is in the foreground, so all the playfield moved behind it.
The areas only scroll left to right, with oter 'rooms' being entered through doors.

Thers a demonsration video on this page here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/the-history-of-hauntly-hall.148732/

It does not scream rpgmaker to me and also reminds me a lot of World of Horror's aesthetic, if you are familiar. Good job.

I also don't think I saw anyone say it yet and not that it is really that fun of a game but, Yume Nikki was my introduction to rpgmaker and I definitely think there is an avenue for the 'walking simulator' or an expansion/fusion on the core idea. The sense of exploration, emptiness, and apparent surrealism in the game and its mechanics really fascinates me. More tradtional rpgmaker horror games are also a fun idea- like you I'm just not the biggest fan of jump scares.

Ingwer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
View attachment 234532

From looking at this picture, my answer would be "yes, except two things:", being the font used and how the character would move. However, looking at the gameplay in your thread, I see that you've already sorted out the latter. It now feels like "a game made in an engine" from a picture-standpoint. (And yes, I am aware that this may sound horrible, which isn't my intention. It means that it's up to you from there to make that game great with what it has to offer).
However, seeing it in motion actually reminded me of old Atari games, which certainly had its flair for what happened on screen. Dunno how much it will give of these vibes after adding more lighting (as you seem to intend) or simply... stuff that an Atari wouldn't be able to handle.

Hmmm... Well I'm just in the planning stage for a sort of suspence/mystery game. I'm looking at making it in a black and white 'shadow play' type style. But right now I'm not sure how to display Black text! always seems to be the simple things that get you stuck!
Has been a long time that I've worked with XP, but you should either be able to change it within the default scripts, or by simply changing the color palette of the windowskin.
The color palette works in numbers from 0 to x, where (I think) the first one should be the default colour used for normal text.
So you can either change this number to a different one, or change/swap the colour on the windowskin. Just keep in mind that it will then change it for the whole game.
On that note: I guess as soon as you enter back to any UI-related stuff from RPG Maker, people will obviously notice the engine - which actually is still applicable to many of the more known Maker Games. So you may either change it up somehow (maybe scripts?) - or even create your own via events if it's nothing too complicated.
It does not scream rpgmaker to me and also reminds me a lot of World of Horror's aesthetic, if you are familiar. Good job.

I also don't think I saw anyone say it yet and not that it is really that fun of a game but, Yume Nikki was my introduction to rpgmaker and I definitely think there is an avenue for the 'walking simulator' or an expansion/fusion on the core idea. The sense of exploration, emptiness, and apparent surrealism in the game and its mechanics really fascinates me. More tradtional rpgmaker horror games are also a fun idea- like you I'm just not the biggest fan of jump scares.
I think Yume Nikki was certainly the first look into Horror RPG Maker back then for a lot of people. If not mistaken, I'd actually seen it before stuff like "Ib" and what-not, as well. Actually been a long time, now that I think about it.

Ah, but about jump scares: That is not only a thing about rpg maker, but games in general. A lot of games try "the cheap" route, as it normally gains the most effect and audience. Now, this route can be done well, for example some of these horror rpg maker games include it in atmospheric and smart ways (most of the time).
I do actually like the more suspense, thrilling, psychological route of horror. Where you feel something is there, but it doesn't show at first. Or where it messes with your head. To (some) extent the horror rpg maker games do include this within their setting and story telling, but feature wise, they still rely a lot on quick grabs and reactions.

So... to get back to the initial question: Jump Scare filled games are most popular. But if the game has nothing else going for it, it will probably be forgotten quick (especially nowadays). Making something more... long-term horrifying may not get the masses flying to you, but may or may not make for a better experience for your game - especially for players who love to immerse themselves into it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

1660339609612.png
Really need to come up with better names for my folders.
rpgmakerxp wrote on caethyril's profile.
Hi, I saw you comment a google drive link to add a specific script to a kadowa plugin for battle voices here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...attacking-defending-skills-damage-ect.119148/

I'd like to add "multiple possible battle voices" for stuff too, can you please let me know what to change cause the link isn't working.
As you get older you notice how things you always used to do is starting to cause pain XD
I've always sitted on my feet for exemple and now I've started to develop knee pains that always occur after I sit in a way that I've ALWAYS done.
And am I going to stop doing it? Eh, likely not before it is causing me massive pain....:kaoswt:
Yay me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarckMysterix