What was the first game you played?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Frostyfirefly, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Frostyfirefly

Frostyfirefly Seeker of the Weird Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Do you guys remember your very first video game? 

Mine was He-Man for the Atari 2600. I remember there was no other objective besides surviving and beating baddies, and of course, the graphics barely resembled the characters from the show, but I was hooked.

Now that I look back at it, my tastes in gaming are still the same but on a different level: I still like to play as a big guy with a sword that fights skull faced warlocks, riding some kind of beast if possible. And f that is not possible, I'll take the next best thing: maybe a psionic powered dolphin that must traverse an underground labyrinth to chase down a criminal and find a cure for a cosmic epidemic.  :guffaw:

What was the first game you played? Or the game that you think was your first game if you can't remember. Was it fun? Have you moved on to other things or are you still hooked on the same type of themes?

2. Sketcy-Sketch

Sketcy-Sketch Hypergraphic Veteran

Hmm...My first game would probably be Super Mario Brothers for the old Nintendo system. I use to hate playing 2 player

with my little brother because he'd pause the game whenever I went to jump over a hole. Yes. He cheated. Jollan, of this very

forum, is a jump-pausing cheater! Tsk, tsk. :headshake:

My favorite game, though, was The Little Mermaid.

YAY! :wub:

Yeah, I never read any of the opening...Didn't care. Wasn't important. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
  3. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    My sister used to do that to me as well, and she is actually older than me. Shame on her  :D

Oh, I remember playing The Little Mermaid... and not telling any of my friends of course ;)

That game was pretty good, in fact, almost all Capcom adaptations of Disney films and shows were good.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
    Darkanine and Sketcy-Sketch like this.
  4. zachfoss

zachfoss Mango Veteran

First Language:
    Alien
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My very first video game was sonic, when it came out the first time. I was young. It was pretty fun. 

I barely play the new sonic games now. I have mix of playing Xbox games, Nintendo games or PlayStation games. Games like call of duty, mario games, final fantasy, ect...

But anyways, we'll have to get together some time and shoot some pool. 

Sketcy-Sketch and Frostyfirefly like this.
  5. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    zachfoss likes this.
  6. zachfoss

zachfoss Mango Veteran

First Language:
    Alien
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    oh god, please stop. 

Old sonic music always wants me to tear away. Brings back so many memories.

Frostyfirefly likes this.
  7. Arin

Arin Tonight...we dine...in-oh a piece of candy! Veteran

First Language:
    Fraglspock
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On the topic at hand, I think my first game was a game called Wipeout. It was a real fancy futuristic racing game with a bit of a Twisted Metal type of feeling to it (eliminate the other contenders and race to the finish line with guns and bullets and power ups).

Obviously I've moved on. I don't know when exactly I started getting into RPGs. I think it was like five or some odd years ago that I really started liking RPGs.

8. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    I know Arin; oh Sonic, dear Sonic, where did we go so wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV5xBYy7uDs

I played Wipeout once for about an hour at a friend's house. It seemed like a good racer.

I actually didn't like rpgs at first, they seemed really complicated and strange; but then, I played FFVI, and I was converted  ;)

9. Aryam

Aryam Villager Member

First Language:
    Swedish
    For me I think it was Guardian Legend for the NES.

After that I've been in love with shmups.

Either that or some obscure DEMO CD for the computer.

10. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I believe it was Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom on GBA. I specifically remember the GBA being the first console

I ever got on Christmas Day, and it came with that and Hey Arnold: The Game. I replayed it awhile ago, actually. It sucks.

Still, good times, good times...

11. Ruby

Ruby Of the Earth Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Uh, Tekken 3. Also some honourable mentions are The Lemmings for Super Nintendo, The Lion King (Seriously, that game was da bomb), and Twisted Metal 2. :3 Oh, and lots of Spyro.

12. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Too bad I don't remember its name but I was so little at the time...

I only remember that it was some kind of adventure game with graphics. I was on a boat and it was all written in english.

All I could understand and do was going inside the ship and take a rope, even if I didn't know what a rope was !

But that game gave me the desire to understand a foreign language and, later, I was able to learn english through playing, which is the best way to learn, especially when you're a kid.

13. Samsonite

Samsonite Samuel L. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I love Guardian Legend. I sitll have it for the NES; box and everything. There used to be commercials advertising the Guardian Legend and Battle of Olympus telling us to "decide" which one was better. The advertising must have worked because my brothers bought both games and we played the crap out of them. :D

The first game I remember playing is River Raid for the Atari 800XL. That game was amazing for its time. I still have both the game and the Atari.

14. OM3GA-Z3RO

OM3GA-Z3RO Wounded Seraphim Veteran

When I was little I was a real sonic fan so the 1st game I ever played was sonic.

Dunno what happened to it over the years, the plot got thicker and thicker that I lost track on what Sonic was really suppose to be. Also anyone had the "WTF why?" moment when they made a sonic racing game?

15. kj3400

kj3400 Hmph Master Veteran

Baltimore, MD, N America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My first game was Super Mario Brothers, but my favorite first game was Sonic 3.
    Still a diehard Sonic fan. Haven't played Sonic '06, so I think that may be part of the reason I'm still a fan :p

Are you referring to Sonic & All-Stars Racing? The sequel to the first one is actually pretty good in my opinion.

16. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think my very first game that I played was Choplifter for some Atari tape system, at my cousin's. Not sure about game name or system, really; I was five I think.

My first owned videogame was Kirby's Dreamland that came bundled with a transparent GameBoy.

17. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Probably Super Mario Bros. But Mega Man 6 was another early one. I remember looking at the boss select screen all excited, choosing a guy, then being disappointed when the level started and saying "What, you can only be the little blue guy?" :p

18. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The first game I ever played was the original legend of Zelda for nintendo... one of my fondest memories as a child are of me and my father playing Zelda, Twilight Princess was the last Zelda game I ever played because it came out the year he died and I just couldn't play it. I made it to about where you name your horse and to this day the memory is to much for me to bear whenever I think about playing any game in the series from that point on because he never got to... I've depressed myself a little now.

19. OM3GA-Z3RO

OM3GA-Z3RO Wounded Seraphim Veteran

I just don't see why Sonic would need to drive a car to race everyone he is super fast on his feet it kinda makes no sense why.

20. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Aryam: Guardian Legend was hard! I didn't get a chance to finish it because  I borrowed it from a friend and he had to leave town  ;_;

@Avvy: Spongebob freaks me out for some reason, it must be the big eyes with eyelashes  :unsure:

@Ruby: Those are all great games, you sure got a good start!

@Cabfe: Nice story, once again, video games are a great medium for learning new things.

@Samsonite: I never played River Raid, that title sounds action packed.  BD

@Galenmereth: I wonder, is there anyone on this planet who doesn't love Kirby, even if they don't know it?  ;)

@OM3GA-Z3RO & kj3400: More Sonic fans, I feel your pain, watch the review a few posts above for laughs.

@Solo: Haha, I bet the producers at Capcom said that exact same thing when they were presented with the first Megaman game.

@Alexander: My father also passed away about a year and a half ago, we played a bit of Duck Hunt once when I was a kid, he was too busy to play anything else after that; it's so great that you got to spend quality gaming time with him  :)