What was the first game you played?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Frostyfirefly, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Frostyfirefly

Frostyfirefly Seeker of the Weird Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I'm glad I never played that one  :D

2. Kaelan

Kaelan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

I must have been 12 or 13 before I found out 'jan-ken-pon' was not what everybody else called RPS.

also, this game:[​IMG]

so many hours on this game

[​IMG]

Also, real talk, it's the best sonic game I've played in years (decades?). You should def. play it! It's like $10 on the Steam holiday sale.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2014
  3. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    @ Kaelan: And nother initiate of Alex Kidd has arrived  :rock-right:

4. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Hmmm.. I'm pretty sure my first game was Alex Kidd in Miracle world. However I'm failry sure that I played it on the atari or the commandore, was it ever released on those systems? I remember that my older neighbour had one of those, and he usually let me play when my family was visiting (My first encounter with the gaming world haha).

I remember that my cousin got a NES in christmas present with the legend of zelda (Oh that golden cartridge!), and Super mario bros. After that evening, I think I drove my parents crazy asking about getting one myself haha.

And frankly me and my sister got one the very next christmas, and I remember being so hyped about it (Nintendo 64 kid anyone?)  

Well not really that excited but you get the point haha.

It was the first gaming system that I owned, and with it I got Super mario bros, Zelda, and Castlevania (The game that made me fell in love with the series). It was definetely my favourite game on the nes back when I was a kid, and it was the game that I just couldnt put down. I still think Its the best game that was ever released on the NES and oh the memories I get when I play it nowadays, Its fantastic.

Well enough of my rambling haha, after all it was a thread about the first game you played! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
  5. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    @ Dark_Metamorphosis: Not to mention the awesome Castlevania music that set the bar for all future gothic, action horror games. In that sense, Castlevania was the first game that had music that made me drop my jaw  :o

6. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Oh of course! I mean, for example the first time I heard Bloody Tears I was totally sold! It's one of those early memorable tunes that set the bar entierly for the series and the 'metroidvania' games that followed. It's even followed all the way to the newer titles so I see that one a bit like the Final Fantasy tune hehe. And ye I agree, the music of the first Castlevania was jaw dropping and It's amazing how they could compose something like that in only 8-bit.

Even though my favourite Castlevania soundtrack is without a doubt SOTN :D

Frostyfirefly likes this.
  7. SuperMasterSword

SuperMasterSword That Guy You Dont Know Veteran

First Language:
    Javascript
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Jak and Daxter was my first game. To this day it is my favorite series of all time. More than Legend of Zelda (my second favorite)

8. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Pong, most likely. I remember playing Donkey Kong Jr., Claim Jumper, Some sort of train spelling game (my dad may have written that one), but I have no idea which one was first.

Galenmereth and Frostyfirefly like this.
  9. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    The first game I played was a tv plug-and-play racing game my dad got "for me." (I was 4 or 5 at the time and was far more interested in using the laundry basket as a rocket ship). I only played it once. I crashed on the first turn, the car exploded, with the appropriately dramatic sfx and graphics of fire and twisted metal---and I ran screaming from the room.

Following that, the only contact I had with games for the next few years were the occasional arcade visit or playing Duck Hunt, Mario Bros and Final Fantasy at my cousins' house. (Though i mostly only got to watch.) Then, when I was about nine, I got a sega game gear with the Avengers game. It was a basic platformer where you played as Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye or Vision. Ah, the heady power that comes with being the bearer of some new treasure when you're the youngest kid in the family (except for the toddlers, but then they don't count) and get to decide how long your older cousins get to play.

Then we ended up exchanging the game gear for an snes with legend of zelda: link to the past, and I've been a nintendo fan ever since.

10. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    @ SuperMasterSword: I've always skipped Jak and Daxter, no particular reason, but everyone keeps telling me they are pretty good.

@ Sharm: I had to go through the entire history of Pong for my college thesis; any of the Pong fortress variations are still my favorite games of all time!

@ Captainproton: The old Avengers game was pretty hard; I heard "America still needs your help!!" more times than I would like to admit.

11. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    ... something on Atari 2600 (can't remember), otherwise Super Mario on NES.

First RPG: Phantasy Star 3  :p

gvduck10 and Frostyfirefly like this.
  12. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Indinera: I'm gonna have to finish Phantasy Star 3 one of these days  :unsure:

13. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Which generation are you playing?

14. Ultim

Ultim Kartoffel. Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    It was Pacman...

15. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Indinera: I believe it was third gen, it's been a long time.

@Ultim1337Gamer: Can't wait for Pacman to make his debut on Smash Brothers. 

gvduck10 likes this.
  16. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One of the first games I remember playing was Super Mario World and Mario Allstars (which included all the Mario Bros). I also remember playing LoZ: Link to the Past, Mario Paint, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country. For the Mario games my brother and I would pass the controller back and forth. I'd mostly watch him play Zelda because I was a little too young to figure that stuff out.

17. zacheatscrackers

zacheatscrackers Machinehead Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

Still an absolute classic imo. Helps that it's so easy to play nowadays due to the laundry list of ports and conversions. :p

18. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The first game I have memories of was probably Super Mario Bros., too. Also Zelda, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, and Toki, in the same time frame, hard to be completely sure which was first.

19. TheTonyOne

TheTonyOne Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My first game was given to me in an attempt to make me hate video games, by my father who thought Cars were the only hobby a man should have.

He got me the original Mega Man because he actually did the research, know how hard it was, and thought Five Year Old me would get frustrated and stop playing.

Twenty years later and I completed my first no damage run on it. I'm also doing a Hardcore challenge on the original Final Fantasy.

Sharm and Frostyfirefly like this.
  20. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Ms Littlefish, zacheatscrackers, Ralpdf: So you all went to Super Mario's school of video game learning too? Nice ;)

@TheTonyOne: So it was like tossing wood into the fire, or rather, energy tanks into the little boy robot.  BD