What was the first RPG you ever played, and what was the oldest?

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
So, what the title says.

What was the first RPG you ever played.
What was the oldest RPG you ever played.
And were thay the same game?

For me it was Ultima IV. And I'm not saying how long ago that was, but I was around 20ish.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wizardry V and yes and not for the NES - I was 9 at the time so not as old but still pretty up there by now xD

Zeireth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My first RPG played was Phantasy Star II for the Sega Genesis.

If by RPG you mean video game RPG, then the oldest video game RPG I played was Ultima IV, however since you didn't specify what kind of RPG, then the oldest RPG I played was the red box set of Dungeons & Dragons. My dad got me into D&D early at the age of 7.

I played an elf. The highest level I reached with that character was level 3. My character died to an ogre. I do not remember the character's name.

barnzie8

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First was Final fantasy x. Oldest I believe is Phantasy star 2.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The first RPG I've played was Phantasy Star for the Master System.

The question of whether or not it was the oldest RPG I've played depends on how we're tracking it, really. If we go by any release date, the oldest RPG I've played was Dragon Warrior, which came out in Japan in 1986, but didn't release in a language I could've played it in until 1989. If we're talking about release date in terms of actually being able to play the game, Phantasy Star is the oldest I've played, as it released in the US in 1988.

It's also worth noting that I didn't play any of these games near their launch dates, although I did learn to read a bit by playing Phantasy Star when I was too young to be going to school, somewhere around 1990-1991.

sereintear

The Random Unicorn
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Septerra Core was first. Oldest I guess would be Lufia & the Fortress of Doom.

Shikamon

The Fateless One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmm My first RPG is Alundra 2, I only like action game back then :D and my oldest one is.. Dragon Knight, an eroge RPG :D , only played FF 1 and DQ 1 from remake version because NES were too outdated.

Enbara

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First:
index.php

Oldest:
518748-ultima-i-pc-98-front-cover.jpg

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im not sure about the first one, it might have been breath of fire 4, that one i played fully, i had clashes with zelda ocarina of time but i didnt had an N64 it could have been pokemon gold too but im unsure, i've played a huge amount of games over the years. :kaoswt:

Oldest one? Probably final fantasy 1.

Ellenor

Artist: Digital/Pixelart/3D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Other
Final fantasy 7, the oldest.... Final fantasy 4?
Unless you count the remakes of final fantasy 1 XD

Tamsyn548

️‍⚧️ Proudly trans! ️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Does Zork count as an RPG? I've basically been playing computer games since my first computer course in 1980 and have no clue how many games I've played and never got big into placing them into specific genres. Moria and Dungeon Master were a couple of other early games I played that were potentially RPG style.

devisous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First: Kingdom Hearts 1
Oldest: Not sure.. probably Final Fantasy 6?

Cymaiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first ever RPG was Suikoden on the PS1. The oldest RPG I've played depends on whether we're counting remasters. If we do count remasters, then the answer would be Final Fantasy I. If we don't count remasters, then the answer is Final Fantasy IV.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The original Dragon Quest (under the name Dragon Warrior as it was known in the US) was the first video game RPG I ever played. I played it not long after it released when I was like, 5-6 years old.

The oldest I've played is probably Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I always say FF7,8 and 9 at the same time because I got them when I bought a used ps2. But it's actually Pokemon Blue, I just didn't know what an RPG was at that time. Every game was just a game back then :p

No idea about oldest, Fallout maybe?

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
FF1 GBA Version (along with FF2) since mid-schooler (maybe?)

for the oldest that i play: Diablo I & Ultima VII <- (i don't get it how to play this)

JPlaysan

知識は力なり
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it was Super Mario RPG for the SNES back when I used to live beside my neighbour and I'd go over to play it with him my friend at the time.

Animebryan

And like a Phoenix, I raise from my ashes!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The original Dragon Warrior/Quest for the NES was my first & oldest RPG. I liked that game so much that I decided to remake it in MV as my first project (my sig has a link to it). It's only 95% complete, but you can make it all the way to the Dragonlord, just no ending stuff yet. Also can't seem to find any DQ battle HUD plugins or a way for enemy skill animations to display in front-view mode.

AssumedPseudonym

Lawful Neutral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first and oldest RPG is Final Fantasy, played on the NES before the SNES existed. …I think I still have a copy of it somewhere, but I’m sure the battery must be long dead by now, sadly…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Only 3 more days to get your copy of Move That Box! with -15% discount!
1660090657213.png
Mistakes will be made.
After three years, it was awesome to be back at Gen Con!
Words of Wisdom: You can be honest and alone. Or dishonest and together.
Working on mapping using RPGTools to create parallax maps using PVgames tiles/assets. It's super cool... but mapping is still something I drag my feet on getting done. I hate this but love the math parts of design, which is the opposite of a lot of dev's around, I think. It really do be different strokes for different folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeuzyGamer