What was your first RPG Maker Project like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NTakamura, Sep 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am curious how was your first RPG Maker project like? Did you finish it? If you didn't what was your first completed RPG Maker Game Project like? I myself have not finished a project so unfortunately. 

2. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Mine was a 4 hr rpg with a quick original story I made just for the game. I wanted to keep things away from my more serious project ideas since I was just learning Ace. Kept away from scripts other than a few that offered some slight plug-in play changes and stuck to the rtp. Never did end up putting it on the forums, I was going to turn it into a trilogy but that didn't pan out.

For battles there were two weapon types for each character which effected which skills they could use in battle changing their battle style depending on which equipped. Armor also came in 3 types, each with their own effect on evasion, magic evasion, defense and magical defense. Lastly only 3 of the five party members could use magic spells in battle. All in all it was fairly standard stuff. I was pretty new I remember when I first found out what a common event was and my mind was pretty much blown lol.

NTakamura likes this.
  3. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Vox Novus

I think rpg maker developer, starting out should follow your example. I too often see people starting out make the game so grand it is hard to make happen. But it is nice you had that mindset when going into your first project. 

@deilin

I remember that game fondly. Nothing came out of it for me, but it was fun. Four memory cards, that huge. So you ever finish it?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  4. deilin

deilin Ranger/Elementalist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It was called Faerie Tale, and is on the PS1 RPG MAKER. It was somewhat a collect/raising faeries and using them to fight off the decay.

It took up 5 memory cards. 1 database and game suspension map to go between the other 4 cards.

5. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My first game was a mess. Most of the maps were very basic I made like five maps in a day (now I spend days working on one map) the game was linear as hell and was about 6 hours long. The combat system was literally what came with the maker, same skills etc.

However I had a decent story going on, the dialogue was riddled with spelling errors and cut off words but the story was good. For my first game it was way too ambitious and it all kinda fell apart in the end. But that didn't stop me from going on and creating a sequel to it with actual effort put into the mapping, dialogue and combat system. 

I did actually make a game before it though with rpg maker 3 for ps2, don't remember much about it except the fact that there was a dragon named Charlie and the main character could talk to animals for some reason.

NTakamura likes this.
  6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Still working on mine. However, I did make a trilogy with an old DOS RPG game making program (I have no idea what it was called, it was just an old shareware program my father found for me when I was in junior high), and they were garbage, as the games were mainly "Here is the world, now go figure out what to do!".

I later made 3 games in Unlimited Adventures back in 1994 - 1996. They revolved around a world torn by war between humans and demons. Used the stock assets for the entire 3 games. Probably would make any of my players do a double take to see that I turned the Wraith sprite into a demon (not to mention some of my other moves I did due to not having a graphic for what I wanted). I think I still have those games on my HD somewhere, though I would need to find a working copy of Unlimited Adventures to run it now.

NTakamura likes this.
  7. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I finished it... 14 years ago lol

Niten Ichi Ryu and bgillisp like this.
  8. Espon

Espon Lazy Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can't remember much about my first game.  It was for RPG Maker 2 on the SNES.  Very cumbersome to use and the translation for the ROM at the time wasn't complete so I had a difficult time figuring things out.  Since I didn't know how to use switches, I had NPCs just wander through the walls so that you couldn't talk to them again. The game was about some guy named Max who got knocked off a boat by some pig-men then had to go into some cave because that's what all the townspeople were talking about.  I stopped working on it at around that point.

My first actual completed game was for RPG Maker XP called Silly Game.  I made a little game for a couple of my friends, so it had a lot of in-jokes that most people wouldn't understand so it was never released publicly.  The characters make cameos in my game, World of Shidel, although I avoided personal references and just used them as regular characters so that anyone can play it.

NTakamura likes this.
  9. Tabuu Forte Akugun

Tabuu Forte Akugun RPG Smasher Member

First Language:
    English
    My first game was more of a test run RPG turned-real project. It was a quest featuring a girl saving her younger sister from a space pirate gang. It was made in RM2000. It was, needless to say, pretty much crap.

10. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't remember which one was the first, so let's go with Moonlight Crystal.

I was 14 and the game was terrible. It had next to zero planning. I'd pick some cool tileset on the internet, draw a map and then try to make the story use that map somehow. I think it got around 40 minutes of gameplay. The only thing that survived from that project was the last name of the main character: Hudell. I started using is as username several years later.

NTakamura likes this.
  11. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @NeoFantasy

Well it nice to hear the evolution you have wen through. From 5 maps to 1 map on a daily basis. Well It is good that you stuck with to the end. Most people who would do that if it got too messy. 6 hours is a decent amount of hours, especially for your first.  Your the second person to mention that you played RPG Maker 3. 

@bgillisp

It seems like even your dad wanted you to make game early on. Well when you work with the assets you had, you definitely got creative and recreating your own sprites. Would you ever remake them?

@Indinera

You have been make games for that long? That amazing.

@Espon

They made Rpg Maker for SNES? I am surprised. The story of your first game does sound a little interesting. Your complete project must have been fun to work on. Especially since it was made with entertaining your friends in mind. 

@Tabuu Forte Akugun

Sounds like fun. I am sure you have some fond memory of it.

@Hudell

So that is the origin of your username. Interesting. Yeah think any who has made it pass the naming it relies that we have to plan to make a game work. It sounds like you had to learn that the hard way. But your better because of it.

12. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @NTakamura: Probably not. The first set of 3 had no story or goal of any sort, only the 4th game in that set (which was never finished) did. I might remake the fourth though someday, as it didn't require the first three at all.

As for the three in Unlimited Adventures, it was pretty dependent on the D and D world and rules in the end, so probably best it stays there. Maybe if someone creates a script to let us make games in 2nd edition D and D rules in RPG Maker....

13. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sounds like a script request.

14. Tabuu Forte Akugun

Tabuu Forte Akugun RPG Smasher Member

First Language:
    English
    @NTakamura: Oh yes. I had even made a sequel to it. I had a blast play-testing it. I was even planning a "commercial" remake with original assets. I canned it.

Might probably decide to take it up again. :p

15. Clydous

Clydous Slowly moseying my way back... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What WAS it?

...Hah!

I'm still working on it!! *ba-dum ts*

Point08 likes this.
  16. hiromu656

hiromu656 Praise the Sun (Arcana) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My first rpg maker game was for 2k3, it was pretty generic fantasy rpg and I never finished it :p

The first rpg maker game I finished was called Witchtooth, for VX. It was pretty fun to work on, it revolved around human-ish creatures called Witches that were shunned and all that. Other than that, it was another generic fantasy rpg with a ton of plot holes but I decided to call it finished either way. It felt great releasing a finished game even though it had a bunch of flaws. It was maybe 15-20 hours long, with a ton of side content that completely breaks the game! I would like to remake it some day since I thought the story had potential, but that won't be any time soon.

NTakamura likes this.
  17. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My first RPG is not yet complete.

I have done a lot of work over the last 7 years or so on OTHER people's games, and they have been released commercially, but I have not yet completed my OWN game.

I am very proud of my game, because I did not try to do it all on my own. I knew where I fell short, and I found others who excelled at those things to fill in the gaps. If it had been a solo effort, it would be very, very pitiful indeed. But the few people who have played through it all had good things to say about it in its current state, and also made suggestions for changes/additions that will improve it further.

One day I might even release it. I'm really looking forward to spending more time on it, from next week - even if it's just the hour a day I currently spend travelling to/from work. Maybe I'll remake it in MV, if I can afford to get all the graphics redone.

Amy Pond and Marsigne like this.
  18. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Completed it about three years ago, and looking back, it was actually pretty good, given it was my first game and four to fix hours long with a nonlinear story - but the mapping was awful, and a lot of the skills were RTP, though there weren't many bugs in the game logic that I'm aware of. It was quite difficult though, especially near the ending.

19. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's the first game in my sig.

Marsigne and Indinera like this.
  20. TheOriginalFive

TheOriginalFive Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Completed? Not yet.

My first project before the Mechanical Armageddon is a test where the four main heroes got stranded on an island.That's all, I used that to learn some basic eventing.