What was your first RPG Maker Project like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NTakamura, Sep 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Clydous

Well I wish you best of luck on your project and on day you will finish it. I know it. =)

@hiromu656

I would wait until you have a few games under your belt so you can gather all those experiences and apply to the remake. Also it is nice that you enjoyed it even thou it had it flaws.The best thing come from a few flaws that is what make it great.

@Shaz

It is good that you are taking the time to actually work on the game, even if it for a short time. Great thing take time and it is best to polish it to a point where your satisfied with it. 

@Hotfirelegend

It is nice to see that you are proud of your first work. Your one of the few, no offence people, who didn't think badly about it. A nonlinear story, I like though type of story because I don't enjoy guessing what might happen in the game and it actually happens.

@ksjp17

It is good to see you are showing off your first work. How long ago has it been since you finished it? 

@TheOrignalFive

It good to have a test game so you can test the water with new software. I wish you luck on the completion of your game. 

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It was released as a commercial game in January 2014.

NTakamura likes this.
  3. Banquo

Banquo scoundrel Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There were so many projects that never lasted for more than a week... My first attempt, that was a bit more serious, resulted in roughly 15 minutes of gameplay, but it didn't satisfy me in terms of story and gameplay.

It was about four friends that found a magical stone in a cavern guarded by the spirit of a holy knight. He regretted his oath to guard the stone until the end of time and begged the kids to take the stone, making one of them the next guardian. But the stone was cursed and it tore the family apart, so the main protagonists brother/sister ran away to protect the family. Super cheesy!

The next will be better.

4. deilin

deilin Ranger/Elementalist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes I did.

I break it out now and again. I started to remake it on Ace, but have stopped atm.

5. tlst9999

tlst9999 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I submitted my first project for the IGMC. It's about you resurrecting someone from the dead and unwittingly unleashing hell on the underworld. Some liked it. Some didn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2015
  6. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Banquo

I don't think the story is cheesy at all. If you were to break down every game to it basic premise, all games would be consider cheesy. It is all about presentation when it comes to games. I think that is what will make it interesting. When you say next one, are you saying you are working on a sequel to the game or the next game you make?

Banquo likes this.
  7. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That actually sounds really interesting.

Banquo likes this.
  8. Banquo

Banquo scoundrel Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, well, I left out a few things. You're right it's more about the presentation being cheesy. Like the prota's home being called "Happyville" and that the characters were super stereotypes.

And I didn't even realized that back then, until a friend tested the game and pointed these things out. To be honest I expected him to be impressed (he didn't know about RPG until then), but it turned out to be very embarrassing.

@NTakamura:

No sequel, as I never finished it. Maybe I'll redo and complete it one day, but that's unlikely.

EternalShadow likes this.
  9. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Banquo

I look forward to it.

10. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    dont remember

the first game i do remember was an XP game where 2 very bishonen guys protagonists had to abandon their town and got separated in the chaos? then some things happened a small girl kid who was a fighter joined you. um i didn't think of the rest. ever. and it turned out the protagonist was a demon and the other bishonen man was an angel? ha ha. well it was going to i didnt get much into development. I couldnt destroy the town because i didnt know how to make it. i know now.

ive never finished a game idk why. i quit too soon, i get frustrated, but i keep trying. i unno. i dont post projects publicly but i'll try it for my next one.

11. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @SLEEP

The story sounds like it has potential. With game making, one thing you should do is donut alone. So try to find a team for your your project. That may cut back on the frustration.

SLEEP likes this.
  12. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    it was my first project when i was a teen. i dont remember how long ago exactly. several years, at least. When XP was the newest maker, I think. I don't want to revisit an idea from so long ago. Thanks for saying it had potential, but yeah.

NTakamura likes this.
  13. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My first project...

I remember my first project which had sci-fi setting, involved a forest ranger who can do some martial arts, and the main objective of the game is to run through the forest, get away from the unknown marching forces. It had a heavily-customized ABS and custom HUD (which the HUD later be stolen by a certain member of the late RMXP.ORG forum), but I decided to drop the project once I put my interest more in fantasy-based plots than sci-fi.

I feel so old when recalling that moment...

NTakamura likes this.
  14. Sennie

Sennie Demon Slayer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am actually working on my first ever RPG Maker game right now :) I began it yesterday, it is with original RPG Maker graphics and some Futuristic tiles and is also an original story :) I have been working on the story for a few months now and yesterday I finally began the game. I hope to create a thread in the Early Project Feedback thread where I'll show it off :)

Matthew.

NTakamura likes this.
  15. OM3GA-Z3RO

OM3GA-Z3RO Wounded Seraphim Veteran

My first was a failed experiment but I am using the mistakes and putting it into something better. Moral: Learn from your mistakes and mold it into something spectacular!

NTakamura likes this.
  16. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Was on Rm2k3

3 different worlds!

150 playable characters!

3 intertwining prophecies!

4 skills Systems!

Never really went beyond mapping...

17. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @richter_h

That rather unfortunate that someone would do that. Look on the bright side your concept was so great someone just had to have it. Based on the description, I can't really imagine sci-fi. How was that implemented exactly?

@MiffoShort Games

Well I guess this is as new as it gets. I hope to hear more about your game as it develops. Also best of luck.

I really like the the moral you provided. As artists and game developers we have to learn to do that. Well I hope you next/current project will make it to the end. Good luck.

@nitenman

That sounds like this game was going to be massive. 150 character!? What type of game were you making that required that many of them. Anyways, based on the thing you listed, this game sounds like it would be a unqie experiences. 

Niten Ichi Ryu and Sennie like this.
  18. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Basically, I tried to mix wheel of time with Legends of the Five rings and Dune.

Failed ...

But one day I'll make it... One day...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
    EternalShadow likes this.
  19. Point08

Point08 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh man I've kind of tried to block it from memory. I don't even remember the plot. I only know it was in rm2k3, it started in a swamp (a very badly-mapped swamp), and hit a dead end when I needed futuristic tiles and couldn't find any that matched well with any non-futuristic tiles. I think it had like an hour of gameplay, was full of plot holes and poorly written dialogue. I also remember it had an animated intro that I was so proud of at the time, but thinking back now, it was complete crap.

20. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Simply put, I disregarded the terms of magic and hoarded some original concepts I had into the game, like the near-infinity energy core which carried over the forest ranger since the beginning of time and acted as the key of the entire story. There were abandoned laboratoriums in the forest which must be visited to make progress as well.

Science is another form of magic, I say.

As the time goes on, the concepts were scrapped and rebuilt in fantasy-themed plot, and the characters were reshaped as well. Some of the elements in old concept were survived and transformed into another thing, although I had to lost the core thing—namely that near-infinity energy core I've mentioned before.

Reasons? I began to like some legendary tales and folklores, also I was having to recreate the story all over in later projects which led into what I'm working on right now: Eremidia project.

Anyway, I have the depiction of the characters' from the old plot (left) and the current plot (right). The looks are relatively the same, but their backgrounds are so different. Now I'm feeling so old only by looking at the picture itself...

Well, my persona depicts me to have white hair. Makes sense, hehe.

[​IMG]

NTakamura likes this.