What was your first RPG Maker Project like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NTakamura, Sep 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    It was called Final Fantasy=<>=Ultimate Evil.

And it was awful.

You were part of a terrorist organisation and had to blow up a castle where the evil Sephire lived. You parachuted in, landing in underground rail tunnels.

From an airship.

And it was made in rpg maker 2000, pirated. I didn't know at the time, it was put across as freeware. I think I cried when I found out it was illegal. I was that kid.

But because it was pirated it came with an extended rtp, just made of rips and awful edits. I remember sprites with... lower appendages.

Over a decade ago now. Where does the time go?

EternalShadow, Point08, SLEEP and 2 others like this.
  2. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Amy Pond

The game does not sound that bad. It must have been horrifying to find out that your RPG Maker was not legit. I know if that happen to me I would freak out asking when the company would come after me or something. :p  

3. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    We'll mine... Was more of exploring the engine's features (and familiarize with it). This was never released. It was called Age of Knights and was made in RPG Maker VX Ace Lite. It only had very few maps (badly designed) and a Crap story. I still have the files for it, and added scripts to it after getting the full version of Ace (somehow?). I might remake it in the future, but it will take a long time.

4. Official Lost Souls

Official Lost Souls Dead and Buried Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My first game was a shitty attempt at a horror game...

The lighting scripts I tried didn't work with my maps ;~;

5. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My first game was Demon Hunter, and I did in fact finish it back in April 2015. I worked on the game for about 2.5 years before finally wrapping it all up.

I think my biggest mistake for Demon Hunter was having this HUGE story-line and world that I wanted to create, and became extremely overwhelmed many times throughout the process. I learned very quickly that a 40+ hour game entails sooooooooooooo much effort, and I promised myself that from then on, if I ever created another RPG, that I would limit it to 10-15 hours worth of game play, give or take. 

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
  6. Lt. Ulquiorra

Lt. Ulquiorra The Devil's Advocate Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    I don't remember the title. But I used it to ace my game production class. It was about an hour long, with a combination of sci-fi and fantasy as its themes, a story that I wrote on the spot, with some random anime ost as its bgm. It is quite straightforward. You kill the demon boss and you win it. You start in some sort of a underground lab where you need to escape (kind of Room Escape, RPG Maker style), but you won't be able to in the end as the whole lab was locked down by hoards of demons. Basically, they were researchin about something that radiates pure power and it attracted demons when they activated the thing. I don't have a copy anymore though :(

7. Lt. Ulquiorra

Lt. Ulquiorra The Devil's Advocate Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Wow! That's pretty long!

P.S. Sorry for the double post. I can't seem to find the delete button

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2015
  8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Lt. Ulquiorra, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

What you do if you want to add something to your post is use the Edit button (bottom right, near the MultiQuote button) and add it to your last post.

There is no delete button for you to find.

9. deilin

deilin Ranger/Elementalist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've been working 2 years on my game "Legions: Homeland". Of course doing it alone doesn't speed up the process, or, adding new scripts and having to restart all your test saves to account for the new scripts.

10. Kitsou

Kitsou Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Oh, it was pretty shitty and never finished. It looked like that Evoland RPG: Like crap in the first areas and got gradually better as I learned more and more about the rpg maker.

At the end it was just for testing I guess.

EternalShadow likes this.
  11. Jocho

Jocho Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    First game was a little rpg (more adventure game than true RPG) where you explored a school and make friends, increasing your "friend level", and finding some missing books. I actually made it for my students at our school, and every student could be friended. It didn't have battles or anything, but it wasn't terrible. And I managed to complete it, and the students liked it, so all's well that ends well.

12. jerry

jerry Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    My first RPG was on the PS1 but I never finished it.  It was way too ambitious for me at the time and it made little to no sense overall.  I remember planning out 16 characters, a bunch of different weapons for them, secret dungeons for each character, a dating mini game, etc.  But a lot of it didn't work on PS1 RPG Maker (since there was no variables) and most of it was just planned to be "cool, this person is in the game!".  The story was something like my friend found out magic existed so he visited me and I tried to find my other friends to get them to help me.  Ended up starting it up again on RPG Maker 2000 and it was a completely different game, especially since I could make a lot of the cut features.  Like people are mentioning, you can tell where in the game my skills progressed (starting area had simple events like changing the background music and text while later areas had full functioning banks and party switchers).  Never finished it but I remember planning two more games.

First game I ever completed was based off of one of my written stories, but there was no interactivity (it was basically a visual novel).  The first actual game I completed was a game I made for my stepbrother about hiding his frosted flakes, which turned into saving heaven from our friend who became immortal.  Ended up being about 2 hours of gameplay give or take.

13. hian

hian Biggest Boss Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Mine was a Harry Potter and The Philosophers Stone fan-game for the Don Miguel Version of RPG-Maker 2000, which I did together with

a friend in our last year or so of elementary school.

Needless to say, it was never completed.

We didn't even know how to use switches, so all non-repetitive events relied on items being added and subtracted, making the

effort of scripting story scenes a nightmare.

Once my friend finally figured out switches by reading the help-file,

we'd gotten so far into the game that redesigning everything with our new-found knowledge seemed like such a pain in the ass

that we just gave up the project altogether and moved on to "bigger and better things".

Ah the days of Rm2k and ripped SNES resources *rollseyeswithfeignnostalgia*

I never completed a game on the old makers (2000, and 2003) though I did make one or two RPG with 10-15

hours worth of content - one of them being a Suikoden 3 rip off with 3 different characters with unique

story-lines. These old projects all died out, not due to lack of effort on my part, but because my

computers tended to die and my data getting lost.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
    EternalShadow likes this.
  14. Ice Dragon

Ice Dragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    I am making my first game 3 months now and I am at 70% of what I want.I use Yanfly core and battle engine.It is actually much better than I thought it would be.I don't know anything about programming but I am a decent writter because I play pen and paper rpgs as a Game Master for 14 years now.Those that playtest it  are impressed.

15. Wrath21

Wrath21 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    My first game was a practice run to test out and learn rpgmaker obviously. So the first map was the one in the tutorial part by part but the rest of the game was just complete randomness to test anything out like switches, variables,ogg music input even ogg video lol. I never completed it since it was practice work though I have resurrected it 

as my current project but with actual story and with actual effort put in.

16. Berylstone

Berylstone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My first project was on RPG Maker 1.  It remains the inspiration for all my other failed attempts at completing what is basically the same gaming concept.

RPG Maker 2 was probably where I made my most earnest effort many years and I hit VX Ace rather hard as well.  But in the end I finished neither.  Hopefully MV will be the turning point in my thus far unsuccessful career as a RPG Maker and I'll actually finish something.  

Anyway and back on point - my first project concentrated mostly on creating characters and story along with the basic structure of its battle system.  So it was fundamentally just a comprehensive list of abilities, names, and descriptions - though I was able to complete several towns and complex events before I ran out of memory.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  17. Blinn

Blinn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This.

18. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A distaster. It was hugely overly ambitious.