What was your main reason for making an RPG game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CWells, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Making a game has always been a small dream for me. To control everything yourself when it comes to build a whole new world. I have always loved to write stories (when we had to write a story in school, I was always the one to write 30 pages for fun, even though it only needed to be 5.) Even though, I might not be the best at telling stories, It's something that I'm very passionate about. I also love games of course, and back when I was a kid, me and my cousin used to make games 'on paper' (I know it sounds kinda lame but we did). Where we made platformers (mario style), or horror games ala resident evil style etc (rooms shown from above with items painted in them a long with zombies etc, etc.).

I'm not really sure how they were played out (It's such a long time ago) but I think the player was controling the character with a 'character piece' sort of like the one's used when playing warhammer, and the developer of the game controlled everything else that happened inside the game (This sounds sooo geeky haha xD). We also developed our own 'consoles' and gave them names, and ofc developed our games to our own console. It was a really fun hobby back then, and we even made our own gaming magazine where we reviewed our games for eachother etc. Me, my cousin and our friends were big fans of the Nintendo magazines and the biggest Swedish gaming magazine back then, called Super Play so I guess that was a big factor. I guess our dreams of becoming game-developers started very early, and It's still a dream for me up to this day.

Since I'm pretty much useless in coding, and math I think that RPG maker is a very solid and easier way to make your own game (even though there is coding and more advanced stuff you could do). So I guess It's a childhood dream of mine to create a complete game from scratch, and have my friends or other people to play it.

Quite a hillarious story to tell from a 26 year old, but I guess I was a hardcore geek (Still am for that matter).

So I guess that very childhood hobby along with my passion for writing stories had a big part in the decision for me to pick up the RPG Maker :p (Along with finding this page, and seeing all the awesome projects on here).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
    Alexander Amnell and Solo like this.
  2. Zack

Zack Perverted King of Demons Veteran

Right behind you; breathing down your neck.
    First Language:
    English
    Honestly, just because I thought it would be fun and nowadays the greater number of RPGs suck. Sooooo....

3. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Dark_Metamorphosis, believe it or not, I used to make games on paper too... only my friends didn't even have the luxury of playing with game pieces. :p

gvduck10 and Dark_Metamorphosis like this.
  4. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Haha good to know I'm not alone! ;)

I recently find my old 'games on paper' (stored in in some covers), so it brought back a lot of memories xD

Well, we even 'built' our own consoles and controllers (along with the game-discs) so we were pretty darn serious about it lol. I think we even created 'live' games, where you as a person was the main character and the game itslef took place in the outside world xD

Lively fantasy we had back then, but that's the thing when being a kid! ;)

Solo likes this.
  5. TMS

TMS Guy with Mask Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm also going to have to confess to doing games on paper, as well as on a portable whiteboard. There was a lot of erasing and redrawing involved - it was stop-motion gaming, I guess you could say.

Solo, Dark_Metamorphosis and gvduck10 like this.
  6. gvduck10

gvduck10 Quacker Jack Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    my best friends and i have designed countless pen-and-paper RPGs over the years.

I love RPG Maker because it allows me to do something similar but distinctly different from that and from the actual console games I already love.

the main reason for creating games though, is to get my friends to play and enjoy them. it doesn't hurt that RPGMVXA allows me to poke fun at over used RPG-conventions: I had one game where a woman freaks out at you for entering her house unannoucned, and forces you to battle her; slaying her nets you a kitchen knife... and a soul full of guilt!! ;)

7. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    :o

We are kindred spirits!

Here's to childhood!! :D   :thumbsup-right:

8. deaddrift

deaddrift The Modern Primitiv Veteran

First Language:
    English
    well my reason aside from loving all things rpg since i was a kid-

is that i always appreciated a bit of humor in games, and sometimes RPG's take themselves too seriously, so i want to make a game that is both fun to play, and funny to play!!!!!!

so yeah, humor rpg's will be my thing.

9. West Mains

West Mains Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My ego demanded it.

10. kaleemmcintyre

kaleemmcintyre Blue Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have a story to tell and I'd like people to enjoy it! 

I'd also appreciate some (honest not just *yay! this was fun) critique to tell me how to better my skills for the next game.

11. Dark Messiah

Dark Messiah Infamous Member

First Language:
    English
    Well I've always liked RPG's, and I just think it's fun. Having complete creative control and being able to tell your story in a visual and interactive way is just a cool thing. Plus, I've always had a penchant for making up worlds and lore and such, and that stuff fits perfectly with this type of thing. Just like Dark_metamorphosis said above, I used to make games and whatnot on paper back in the day (I fondly remember a Zelda fangame I had written down when I was younger, I wish I still had it)

12. Aceri

Aceri Author Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is pretty much my exact reason. I am really good at writing, and when I saw the RM on Steam, I thought putting my stories into an interactive medium, or at the very least a visual one, was the next best choice.

13. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I got into play RPGs because I loved the stories that went with the games, in addition to the game play itself.  To me it was very similar to reading books and getting hooked on book series.  I remember thinking about what stories I would tell, and when I discovered the RPG Maker series, I was excited.

My motivation has shifted a bit now.  I still want to tell those stories, but I also want to make games that my daughters would enjoy playing and that would be appropriate for them as well.

14. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Three reasons, actually.
    1. I prefer creating stuff over just consuming it. Playing RPGs is fun, making one even more so. <3
    2. Some ideas I have fit more with distinct types of media (if its more visual, I'd like to make it a comic someday, if it's more introspective, I'll write it, if it creates a world I'd like others to explore, it'll have to be an RPG).
    3. Making RPGs never gets boring as there are too many diverse things to do. Sick of drawing all day? Think about game mechanics. Super inspired by some articles about a specific time period? Apply gained knowledge to the game world. And so on. :) Sooo much fun.

15. XPKobold

XPKobold Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    For me several reasons.

1. I've started with the PS1 game RPG Maker eventually moving on to the PS2 RPG Maker 2 (RPG Tsukuru 5) And RPG Maker 3. Plus i've used rpg maker xp for so long that eventually figured out how to slightly edit the default RGSS scripts. Not much but learning slowly better than rushing.

2. Also a challenge to see what strength's and weaknesses lie with me to improve even if i'm in my comfort zone though even better breaking out of it.

3. Loving to play other people RPG maker games to see what kinds of ideas they had as well as the handling of rpg cliches. Since you don't see very often at how many creators can turn some of the worst cliches upside their head.

4. Also enjoy seeing small rpg maker games eventually becoming long standing series in several universes, even if it's a short sidestory. Eventually it does add up that there's more to it then meets the eye.

16. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love the resources and the behind the curtain feeling I get when making something of this nature.  I never knew how it worked or operated despite countless plays through steam or consoles and wanted to experience it first hand.  1500 hours later the same year of starting I am finding myself still entertained and challenged to create more dynamic and interactive elements now that I have most of the basics down.

This also allows me an opportunity to try other's work created with the same engine as a basis of comparison.  Even using the same scripts or resources no experience has been the same.

Also there is something incredibly satisfying making treasure and puzzles for people to enjoy.  It makes me feel I can expand on the outline of a story, which can only carry a game so far when the other elements are lacking in the journey.

17. Shades

Shades Maker of Sammiches Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Nobody else seems to make them right, so it's apparently up to me to make the game I want to play.

...waaaat?

West Mains likes this.
  18. gvduck10

gvduck10 Quacker Jack Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    the first RPG Maker game I ever made was with VX I think - or maybe the one before that - and I made it based on my friends....

Jessica had skills like Shopping Cart Rush and Biology 101 & 102 - cuz she was a meijer employee and biology student

Tim had skills like Lecture and Brimestome - cuz he was a biblical studies major and wanted to be a pastor

Alex had skills like Wild Dance and Brilliance - cuz he was a dancer and club kid

*oh the good ole days of geekdom supreme*

19. fkckj4xqx

fkckj4xqx Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    For me it's basically writing a novel in a different medium. I love old school jrpgs and I love writing so I thought i'd just combine the two.

20. Clareain_Christopher

Clareain_Christopher C_C Media Ninja Veteran

I like creating lgbtqia role playing games, and see how people react to it.

I also LOVE creating bosses with ace. I can spend 5+ hours on a single monster, and play test it into the ground. It's so much more fun than a normal video game hobby.

And Rpg maker was the catalyst to 80% of my art evolution - what with art assets and what not. Do any of you guys remember when I first joined this community? "How do art beeeeee~"

I'm still pretty bad though. Slowly improving with the motivation of RM. You guys are pretty much the only reason I draw.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2013