What weapon would you give this character?

Moop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This is a question that I've been pondering for a very long time. One that I should figure out pretty soon...

What weapon should my main character use?

Perhaps I should explain. The game is an Action Battle game (think Zelda) where you play as a princess who wants to learn to defend herself from minions. As such, she tries to go around to spread her idea to other kingdoms. Sadly, this doesn't work out too well. People (both knight and princess) misunderstand/misuse/demonize her idea, the princess herself discovers that things aren't exactly so black and white when trying to change things for the better, and challenging the system turns out to be far more dangerous than any overlord.

Now, as for her weapon, I DO NOT WANT HER TO HAVE SWORDS OF ANY KIND. (In-game explanation- there's a sword shortage due to it being the most popular weapon with adventurers.) The top three choices so far are nunchucks, a club, or a mace.

What do you think Princess Gilda should use?

Last edited by a moderator:

Prizm Daystar

Social Butt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Gryphon-talon claws?

(Dammit, my inner brony is showing...)

Moop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Huh...I think you gave me an idea for something to use in the sequel! Thanks!

TheGamedawg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm thinking that the character may be mad about not being able to use a sword.  So a mace since it's the closest "sword-like" weapon of those 3.

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd say a mace or perhaps a 2 handed polestaff

Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
well i would say bow.... but what about a rapier? a weapon that someone of nobility or royalty would actually be able to get a hold of due to being a "noble" weapon

ksart

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A mace/sceptre! Bash things!! Described as her fathers royal sceptre, very heavy.

amaSenpai

LP: amaSenpai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You should think about things she would be able to wield as a noble lady.

Perhaps a ring to hold poisons, or small daggers that she can hide in her skirts. It seems like your story sets up for others to dislike her idea of self protection so something subtle?

I like the staff/heavy scepter idea from ksart.

Maybe even a parasol that has a sharpened tip.

Edit: with the scepter idea you can upgrade it with heavy jewels to grant more damage

Espon

Lazy Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd give her a giant battleaxe, because I like doing things against the norm.  What better way to get your point across?

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The Twin Blades of Azzinoth.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
For some reason I'm thinking a spear.  It's typically a defensive weapon, and you described her as wanting to 'defend' herself.  Spears are also fairly easy to use for someone without a lot of combat experience, so it would make sense for it to be her weapon of choice.  I also like the image of a princess warrior wielding a spear.

amaSenpai

LP: amaSenpai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Jonthe fox has a great idea for defensive weapons.

She could become something of a shield basher. I'm thinking like the kingdom hearts series where goofy had a shield.

Rinobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If swords are popular, wouldn't there be an abundance of those weapons as oppose to a shortage? Ya know... supply and demand.

How about a chakram, boomerang, whip, snake sword, javelin, or throwing axe? Mid-ranged to melee weapons.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why not... bells ? Depending on the pitch frequency, different effects. And even a bell that becomes giant and crushes the enemies too :D

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
imo it depends on what type of princess is it... 

Elegant, lightly armored princess would be nice with rapier, dual wielding daggers, or a 1-handed mace-buckler combo. Even bow would be nice.. but I guess you don't want ranged weapon since all 3 options are melee weapons. Same for magic weapons (wand, staff, grimoire, etc.)

Going to give up all form of elegance when it comes to warrior princess type and give them something like a battleaxe, spear, or some polearm. Or a mace and large shield combo (i.e. Lagertha the shieldmaiden). I was originally considering some sort of claymore, or zweihander (i am a big fan of those things) but since swords are out of the question, so... yeah...

Clubs and nunchucks just doesn't quite fit the princess image imo LOL

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The top three choices so far are nunchucks, a club, or a mace.
I was going to suggest a holy symbol or amulet.

how about a royal scepter?

the first thing that comes to mind is the one from the Diablo series:

but I wouldn't give that to a princess, unless there's some solid backstory behind it explaining why it is what it is.

....a holy amulet, on the other hand... maybe.

an amulet is like a blank canvas if you want to write a plot around it.

it gives you a baseline for magic, and magic gives you a baseline for allied characters.

it can be anything! a ring, a necklace, a tiara, a book, an orb, a staff..... not a pendant, tho... pendants won't work... trust me.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Personally I'd go with knives. Knives have been and continue to be one of the most effective and versatile defensive weapons in existence. Light enough to negate any disadvantage a feminine physique might bring to learning the weapon yet deadly enough to end a confrontation with most evils suddenly and decisively if used correctly. Knives also have concealability going for them which would be perfect for the young defense-conscious noblewoman who might find certain opposition from kin and Knights-retainer if she tried to walk around the palace with a sword, cudgel or spear, and give her the element of surprise when confronting evil overlords or whatever bent on dragging her off to their lair to await a white knight to find and rescue her.

Nivlacart

Glue my hand to the tablet pen.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A quarterstaff can be anything if you pretended hard enough.

Moop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Wow! A lot of good ideas so far! There's just a few things I think I should clarify on:

• I'm looking for a melee weapon right now. She finds things like projectile weapons and flare attacks on her journey.
  • The people react to Gilda's mission in a variety of ways; some of them flat-out reject it, some of them want to use it as a means to their own end, some of them misinterpret it as a "princess good, knights evil" sort of thing...
  • As for Gilda's character...She's like a prim/proper girl from the city who is suddenly relocated to the country. A formal girl who's stepping in a mud puddle for the first time and trying her hardest to soldier through. Though she's in armor now, fashion is always still a concern. Though the notion of going into a dungeon unnerves her, curiosity and determination will always make her keep going.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Please do not buy games from g2a.com. The sellers have total power over you. The website has many scam sellers. It looks cheap, but the key code didn't work.
A while back I was having fun making my own custom tiles, then I hit carpet... why is it so difficult!? Lol.
Weekend is finally here... what would you like to see (?):
1) Pokemon into zelda minish-cap style
or
2) Pokemon into zelda gbc style
or
3) Zelda into pokemon style

#= Choose ===============#
||__[ Full mockup ]_[ Charset ]__||
#=======================#
I know someday I'll start working on this...

I'm so happy that I got Steam achievements to work in my game, thanks in large part to the posts by other RPG Maker devs on this issue!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seogroupbuy