What weapon would you give this character?

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In that case, I have a few suggestions. A bow, since if not swordplay most nobles tend to do archery practice. However if she isn't proficient enough at composite archery she could always go for a crossbow, though not as strong they're easier to wield and require less skill as well as launching faster. Then there's always the notion of going for a gun or sort of firearm that suited those time just to be different :p

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I think picking the right weapon has to be tailored to your setting and your character.

The following is purely my own feelings and interpretation and your mileage may vary:

Swords are typical hero weapons and jacks of all trades. They have a feeling of nobility and cleanliness. They're not an option anyway so let's pass.

Axes give somewhat of a brutal, savage, aggressive vibe. I'm not sure this is what you are going for.

Maces also have the "massive force" vibe but in a more civilized, less aggressive manner. There's something defensive to them. Maybe it could fit our character, they can definitely be fancy, but I'm not sure. It feels a bit too rough for the princess you described.

And clubs are basically primitive, make-do maces. So not really either.

Smaller weapons like knives or claws give a speedy, agile, witty vibe. Maybe it could fit. Knives in particular feel somehow feminine. But they are extremely close-quarter so they also mean aggressivity and/or a bit of recklessness.

Anyway, personnaly I would go with polearms. They can be pretty refined, they are melee but at a distance. I guess it denotes carefulness? Some of them can have very fine heads and feel feminine. Also, the amazon or valkyrie with a spear is a time honored classic. In this category, you have a few choices:

Cleaving polearms like guisarmes, glaives, voulges, bardiches and halberds feel a bit heavy and cumbersome. But they also have versatility and denote resourcefulness. The guisarme  and halberd especially.

You of course have spears, ranseurs, partisans and the likes. It's either a very defensive weapon or it gives a bit of a rougher feeling. Spears (shorter ones at least) were a hunting weapon, after all.

But I would really go with warpicks or maybe a Bec de Corbin. Distance, versatility, some elegance but also power. They're more in the blunt weapon category so more defensive and less aggressivity. It feels right. A finer halberd or stylized guisarme I could picture really well too.

​Get some ideas from here!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marsh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Like some people have said, a polearm type of weapon seems pretty cool. It's not too brutal (like a spiked hammer or something), and you said she only wants to defend herself, so she doesn't necessarily have to kill anything. The whole part with everyone else getting the wrong idea is interesting. Maybe you could make up a really devastating looking weapon that isn't so dangerous after all, it's just that the others don't understand it.

amaSenpai

LP: amaSenpai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Merging all these ideas, I would suggest a parrying dagger.

It's built for a character with less strength, easy to conceal from others, and could be "reclaimed" from an old sword considered unusable by others!

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Like some people have said, a polearm type of weapon seems pretty cool. It's not too brutal (like a spiked hammer or something), and you said she only wants to defend herself, so she doesn't necessarily have to kill anything. The whole part with everyone else getting the wrong idea is interesting. Maybe you could make up a really devastating looking weapon that isn't so dangerous after all, it's just that the others don't understand it.
Now that's amusing.

Weapon can be use offensively and defensively. Defensive weapon, such as a shield, can also be use offensively in combat. The metal boss in the center of a Roman scutum makes the shield an auxiliary weapon used for punching the opponent. Spartans mainly uses their shield for defensive purpose, but they can also use it as a killing weapon: bashing the enemy to stun or knock them down, then finish them off with a secondary weapon or using it as a killing weapon. I'd hate to get clubbed/bashed to death by a shield.

Polearm is divided into many different types (bardiche, bec de corbin, lance, guisarme, pike, poleaxe, scythe, vouge, etc etc etc)

Bec de corbin's beak is used for attack and the hammer as counterweight.

Guisarme's hook can be used to pull a mounted target off their horses

Partisan's pointed edge is used as a thrusting weapon and the side bit can be used to parry blades.

Pike? Forget it... those things are freaking long.

Voulge can be used for hacking or stabbing

Halberd has their chopping bits, thrusting bits and hooked bits. 

So which polearm are you talking about? Most, if not all of them, can be brutal.

We can go on debating whether a weapon is offensive or defensive all day and would probably get nowhere. 

Personally it is all about how the user uses her weapon. Threatening the opponent with something like a waraxe, making them believe that the user should not be messed with is also a type of defense. 

Marsh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Now that's amusing.

Weapon can be use offensively and defensively. Defensive weapon, such as a shield, can also be use offensively in combat. The metal boss in the center of a Roman scutum makes the shield an auxiliary weapon used for punching the opponent. Spartans mainly uses their shield for defensive purpose, but they can also use it as a killing weapon: bashing the enemy to stun or knock them down, then finish them off with a secondary weapon or using it as a killing weapon. I'd hate to get clubbed/bashed to death by a shield.

Polearm is divided into many different types (bardiche, bec de corbin, lance, guisarme, pike, poleaxe, scythe, vouge, etc etc etc)

Bec de corbin's beak is used for attack and the hammer as counterweight.

Guisarme's hook is used to pull a mounted target off their horses

Partisan's pointed edge is used as a thrusting weapon and the side bit can be used to parry blades.

Pike? Forget it... those things are freaking long.

Voulge is used for hacking or stabbing

Halberd has their chopping bits, thrusting bits and hooked bits. 

So which polearm are you talking about? Most, if not all of them, can be brutal.

We can go on debating whether a weapon is offensive or defensive all day and would probably get nowhere. 

Personally it is all about how the user uses her weapon. Threatening the opponent with something like a waraxe, making them believe that the user should not be messed with is also a type of defense. 
Well, a quarterstaff is relatively simple, and not very threatening, yet it can be very effective in the right hands. In my opinion, if I had to choose between "which of these would I liked to be smacked/stabbed with", I'd pick polearms. Here's why.

1) Hammers are just pretty gruesome. Head-smashing, yucky. Depending on who's using it, you can die fast or slow.

2) Axes. Chopping off limbs, also brutal.

You can see where I'm going with it. Personally, I think that if you have a polearm, you're going to get ran through if the edge is pointed, and if not, well, I'd like to think of it as defensive. Longer weapons just seem more oriented to be used behind the safety of a shield or something, like how the Romans did with the Phalanx formation. I see your point though.

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Well, of course a weapon can be used offensively AND defensively and pretty much anything could be turned into a weapon with enough will, imagination and skill. You could wear a spiked helmet and say it's a form of weapon. You could make a chair a character's main weapon if you wished. I was not really discussion wether or not it's possible or how it should be used or anything, I was more discussing style. Because choosing what weapon your hero will wield says a bunch about her. For instance, a rapier tends to say "noble, fancy and/or subtle" more than a sledge hammer does. I'm not saying stupid/poor characters can't use rapiers or that the local lord can't wield a warhammer, that it is impossible to be defensive with a sledge hammer or anything else. I'm just discussing how it feels and what it might say about the character using it. If you use knives, you'll pretty much be directly in the action, a pretty close quarters and will routinely get hit, while is you used a polearm, you'd have more distance and would be safer (in a way). Might this say that a character using knives would be more aggressive and/or reckless? Probably. Does it say a reckless dick can't use spears or that it is impossible to go on the offensive with a Bec de corbin? Of course not. Anyway, as I said at the beginning of my previous post, it's pretty much all subjective and your mileage may vary.

Marsh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I wasn't really challenging anyone's opinions, I just had the idea of a rather weak princess who wanted to learn how to merely stay alive and not genocide the monsters with huge weapons, so a quarterstaff and it's defensive properties came to mind. I based this off of how he said that people could have "misused" the idea of defending yourself. Instead of merely learning to fight, they used the knowledge to beat the crap out of everyone.

What I'm trying to say is, a subtle weapon like a staff could be easily used for self defense purposes.

Moop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hmm...I think I know what I'm going to go with...

A form of poleaxe. (Likely a modified bec de corbin; also likely to be made to look similar to a scepter.) Thinking about it, it really fits with Gilda's character. Looks more eloquent than a mace/club, while reflecting her anxiety about entering a strange new line of living. (Interestingly enough, I can see myself using the club/mace/ax/hammer approach to the main character in the sequel, who has a very destructive, ungraceful personality.)

I like the idea of using a shield as an offensive tool as it is defensive, too. I'm thinking I can add some learnable moves that can let the player utilaze that.

Thank you all! This really helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Writing out an idea for the No Travel Game Jam. I have a general plot and challenge written out, it's just a matter of filling the rest in and making it interesting.
A definite difficult time right now. How is everyone doing during this pandemic? I already have seen furloughs and layoffs.
Hollow 1977 wrote on Archeia's profile.
Hope you and your family are doing well during this difficult time. :)
My elderly neighbor whom I've been buying groceries for just got carried out of his home on a stretcher by guys with hazmat suits. Considering I've been his only point of contact for the past month it's probably safe to say my boss was right to tell me to stay home once I developed a mild cough after all.
Damn. All these new features to the forums. Takes some getting used to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
highchloride