the___blade

They/Them
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I recently purchased a pack of character art divided by class which includes the classics like hero and mage and thief, but one class really threw me: the "scholar" class. I know I have no obligation to use the classes assigned to the image, but I thought it could be a fun thought experiment to figure out what a scholar would do.

In my game, there are knowledge talent checks that take place out of combat, so I imagine the scholar would absolutely crush those, but what about in combat?

the___blade

They/Them
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tend to add blue magic / learn enemy skill to them. Seems fitting to me.
Libra/Scan/Learn command to find into about enemies and learn their skill if they have one.
That is brilliant.

ArcaneEli

Mage of Thunder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Scholar seems like a supportive class, find enemy weaknesses, adding them as well. Uses skills that take a turn or so to complete, start of turn / end of battle effects.

sawworm

Sir Waste Time A Lot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My scholar class is a pure mage that accesses all elements and by doing so adds that element's resistance.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a question that I think should be asked first, one that too few people ask:

why does every party member has to be good in combat?

If the out-of-combat abilities are good enough, the player should be interested enough in saving that actor through fights, and it would create a strategic challenge to the player to have to work with actors that are bad in combat.

With that in mind, fitting options would be things like better item use, perhaps some first aid skill (not full healing), identifying enemies for weaknesses.

Pasteleptic

Costan's Sin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You could think of scholar as a scientist and/or mathematician. They use their power of numbers to alter reality (divide by zero, causing enemy confusion) and inflict nasty viruses (poison, etc).

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
A scholar might also be able to use items or craft items, or use items in skills that others can't.

A scholar might also be a jack of all trades when it comes to skills.

MxDizzy

Math Nerd Extreme
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a Scholar in Octopath Traveler, who is the game's black mage-type that can use three of the four "basic" elements as well as analyze enemies for their stats. The fourth element of Wind as well as light/dark are reserved for other classes. Notably, the game differentiates between "scholar" and "apothecary" in terms of functionality - the scholar knows a lot but can only rely on the magic he knows, while the apothecary can apply his knowledge to item mixing in a way no one else can but lacks innate command over the elements without his items.

I would assume that a scholar is able to use knowledge of the enemies, and whatever lore-based systems influence battles, to their advantage. Meaning they're probably good at identifying weaknesses or defending against particular techniques.

Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you have talent checks make the ones who scholar pass render better rewards at the price of him being less effective at combat, having a character who pass easily while still being good at combat make every other class bad in comparison.

A scholar by virtue is not a combat class in most settings, the mage is. Studying the mysteries of the world and at the same time studying magic sounds like persuing two degrees at the same time, possible? Yes, likely? No. Some settings mix both, but going this route make mages basically demigods, what is really cool but you have basically a protagonist who solves all problems while the party party :D or a antagonist who can't feasible lose.

At the same time you can think of this as real life, there's a gap between knowledge and pratice. If a scholar knows that a red plant have healing properties it doesn't means he know how make potions. If he knows stances and footwork it doens't means he can fight, if he can produce a fire it doens't means he can throw a fireball. He make a good jack of all trades, master of none kind of character.

My opinion is: Make him able to find secrets, powerfull items and solve puzzles with ease at the cost of being frail and less effective in combat.

sunnyFVA

how a demon do
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A scholar could additionally exploit enemies' elemental weaknesses a la Pokemon's Expert Belt held item. Blue mage and customizable generalist were my other first impulses.

freakytapir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, the scholar class in FF XIV is a healer that mostly throws up shields, and heals by damaging opponents ( Like a life leech, but the party member gets the hp)

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In D&D, there's a Factotum class which basically has some elements of cleric, mage and rogue from their broad studying of many subjects.

So in video game terms you could equate that to Final Fantasy's Red Mage, which has spells from multiple lists but getting them at higher levels/lower power.

You could have support abilities themed around studying the enemy - Predict Attacks gives the party a defense bonus because they know what the enemy will do. Find Weakness increases damage against the target. Stuff like that.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Massive elemental damage to all units on the battlefield. Oh wait, that's Final Fantasy Tactics A2 ;)

The three things that come to mind when thinking of scholars is someone that learns/researches, someone that teaches, and someone that debates knowledge. That feels mostly like an npc in most stories. However, if we expand it to someone who can use that knowledge, then you can have a class that focuses on 'retroactive' learning; Seeing enemy info without needing to cast 'Scan' first, learning enemy skills without needing to be a blue mage already, having access to skills based specifically on enemy weaknesses, knowing a vast amount of skills that must be selected outside of combat that they actually have access to, being able to show you who a given foe will target, and maybe even things like drawing symbols to affect the whole field in some manner. Or even be able to speak to monsters which can give all sorts of things from convincing them to leave (insta-kill with different flavor), join your party temporarily (replacing themselves in the party with the monster), or even pick up a random sidequest.

freakytapir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You know, now I think about it, I do have a scholar type character in my game, but it is more of the 'frat boy grown into professor' type.

His attacks center about 'educating' his fellow party members.
So there's the passive that gives an xp boost if the combat is finished quickly.
Abilities like Thesis of violence, Declamation of Rebirth, Proper Hazing, Endless Rethoric.
You know, the fun stuff.

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Could be an alternative or counterpoint to magic, using/inventing 'science' to attack, protect, heal, strengthen etc...

Or you could go one further and add a 'scientific advancement' element to the game, along the lines of Sid Meier's civilisation games.

Just a thought!

ZombieKidzRule

JAVASCRIPT FOR KIDS by Nick Morgan - Awesome book!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think there are a lot of ways that you could go with a Scholar class. Many of the previous posts give examples. While I personally tend to think of a Scholar class as being more supportive with just enough combat skills to defend themselves in a pinch, you could also go the route of a "Road Scholar."

For the Road Scholar (someone whose knowledge, abilities, and skills come from their travel and experiences rather than institutionalized study or training), you could make them similar to a Jack of All Trades with a mixture of abilities and skills from all the other classes as well as a variety of accumulated knowledge and lore that other classes might not achieve. I particularly appreciate games that let me create my own class or have classless development.

I also think you could take any number of examples in previous posts and make a unique class for your particular game.

Good luck!

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I was thinking of abilities like 'Cold Logic' that could diminish or completely eradicate the effects of magic. Imagine a super powerful Wizard/Mage and your scholar nonchalantly walks out, gets out their notebook and proceeds to explain why the spell cast is nonsense and can't actually do anything! I would play that game!

Sounds like it could also be a good character for a resource management type of mechanic. Get things to learn things, like making better weapons or armour etc.

Last edited:

NamEtag

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If I made a Scholar, it would contain these builds:

1. Raising and Lowering Elemental resistances, with appropriate mechanics to discourage juggling multiple elements. Ailments would be on another class.
    • Low damage, high MP cost, diminishing returns.
  2. Decreasing Crit resistance on enemies.
    • Medium-low damage, requires allied physical attacks to be useful.
  3. Magic Taunt, converging aoe magic into single target, both offensively and defensively.
    • Requires specific arrangement of resistances and magic attacks to be useful. Class has sub-optimal tank stats.
  4. MP recovery(separate from MP drain) and resistance to mind ailments
    • Entirely defensive/non-combat. Difficult to share effects and presumably not a main build.
  5. Persuasion - Speech abilities targeting intelligent enemies. Merchants can negotiate and de-escalate, but if you want to demean and demoralize, you bring in the academics.
    • Race-specific abilities, presumably not a main build.

Last edited:

Popoto_milk

Tactical Marine
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
High Gothic
Primarily Uses
N/A
You could think of scholar as a scientist and/or mathematician. They use their power of numbers to alter reality (divide by zero, causing enemy confusion) and inflict nasty viruses (poison, etc).
This is sort of how it works in ffxiv. Arcanists manipulate aether(magic) using precise geometric shapes iirc. Don't remember much about the scholar job specifically though.

As for my own ideas, a scholar could be a theologist. Someone who invokes the powers of multiple religions to fight. Maybe through some sort of special pact. It doesn't have to be a caster either. It could be pretty much any role or range. This idea could probably work with spiritual stuff too.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another day, another patch. Praise be to the game make!
Okay... I'm injured and stuck in bed with a bad knee. And I'm only 24! I shouldn't be limping this badly, but my leg refuses to fully straighten and it hurts if I try to push it.
At least I have my games to work on.
RianQuenlin wrote on Iron_Brew's profile.
To elaborate on "safety" since bgillisp locked the thread, some lunatics will take reports personally and decide to harass people who file reports or otherwise complain about them. Me, I don't care but others seeing that might nope right out of discussion. Being a former mod back in the mid-2000s for some gaming forums in by BYOND days I can tell you some people go crazy.
Excitement: I've spent the last week making a little update package for VE Fog & Overlay, and finally got it working in my test environment!

Dread: Sigma fullscreen and Zeus's map effects are screaming at me when I add them into the mix.
ScreenShot_8_7_2022_0_23_50.png
Unleash the hype beam...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Introvertebrate