What would be your reaction if Nintendo contacted you to add a character of your project to Smash?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Danitinkis, May 4, 2019.

1. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If it's a character from my released title, I'd be like, "Oh, Wow! You need to talk to Vexedenigma, though."
    If it's from my game in development, I'd be like, "Oh, Wow! You need to talk to PVGames, though."
    If it's from a future project, I'd be like, "Oh, Wow! You need to talk to [insert character art source here], though"
    If it's from a future project and the character art source was actually me, I'd be like, "Oh, Wow! I designed a character you like that much? Deal!"
    Case 4 is improbable enough to be laughable, but then, so is the original hypothetical conditional. Processor crashing... Daisy... Daisy... give... me...

2. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushroomCake28 Business is business, a statement is a statement and me is me.
    That said, to be honest and fair, Nintendo is still ok in my opinion. I don't hate Nintendo at all. I am neutral.
    I don't need free ads and stuff. Neither any bread crumbs. What I need if I ever make a game, is a small audience that will like what I do. When I make a game, I make it because I like making it, not because I wanna earn money. Same goes on sound and music. It's NEVER about money. I don't do business with it. I have a more artistic approach and that is why IF they ever want something for me, they will get ripped to get it, just because that wo. Except for CD Project Red and Supergiant Games. I would give them anything for free and it would be an honor.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Marsigne and MushroomCake28 like this.
  3. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly?

I'd probably decline unless they offered a fairly sweet deal (like, I'd get X percentage of sales for inclusion of my character). While Smash does seem to be incredibly popular... I don't want any game of mine associated with the game itself. Or rather... Nintendo.

Nintendo isn't really known for making great RPG's. Or even anything beyond "kids games" most of the time.

On top of which, I haven't really enjoyed a Smash Bros game since... well... Smash 64. After that one they turned the game away from strategy and finesse and made it entirely about twitch reflexes and glitch exploitation (if I lose track of my character easily or need Ritalin to play your game... not a good sign).

It doesn't help the stories you hear about the sorts of people who attend Smash Bros tournaments either...

The "Cease and Desist" stuff isn't very endearing either.

I love Nintendo and their franchises (most of the time). But, I suspect getting in bed to do business with them... Not a good experience. Otherwise, they might have more titles available for their consoles beyond stuff I already own on a different console. They also don't seem to have a lot of "third party developer" support either. Their internet features are all stuck about 15 years behind everyone else as well.

Just... no. They'd have to offer me a very sweet deal.

Now, if they asked me to help develop games with them... I am probably more amenable to that, depending on what the contract states.

Marsigne and Ryisunique like this.
  4. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I would feel really sad, knowing that Nintendo was so desperated to be already scratching the bottom of the barrel... then I would question their sanity, then I would question my sanity, then I would probably wake up.

5. Nivlacart

Nivlacart I just opened an art shop 11/6 :D Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!
    But I haven't made a character that I think would be good enough to even feature in Smash...

6. MagiCat

MagiCat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I mean if it was real I’d be highly confused. My game atm is just me fiddling with an old d&d campaign my wife and I have done to learn the engine. Then I’d have to figure out who to send them. What a nightmare. I’d likely ask how the blazes they knew I was even making one and up all the privacy settings on all my devices...

7. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Very, very mixed. My "No large companies" side would be like nope nope nope, but then my "exposure please" side would be like "WOOOOOOOOOOOO".

8. PikanyaDesu

PikanyaDesu Professional Amateur Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My reactions would be...

1) Wow, you guys are out of new ideas, huh?
    2) It is going to be Tessa or nobody...

9. VideoWizard

VideoWizard Dragon Kingdoms Series producer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My reaction would be like, wow, and they once said Ridley was too big for Smash. Would he be permanently Tiny Mushroom'ed in order to keep from being ridiculously OP? Would he only be available in Special Smash under certain conditions? Oh, and he's another sword user, too.

10. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd be pretty stoked if that happened :). It'd be awesome to collaborate with Nintendo and Smash! Great way to get your game more wide known to the public as well.

11. Stupidbro

Stupidbro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    DEFINITELY. I've heard waaaaaaay too many horror stories of people getting cheated out of their content by big companies. I've not heard any about Nintendo specifically, but it's certainly something to be careful of.

12. astracat111

astracat111 Astra Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd be like "no, f*ck you Nintendo you greedy corporate bastards"