What would it mean to be a God (to you)

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Lothloran, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Lothloran

Lothloran Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    When I say "mean" I mean exactly that. What do you think makes God, or a God, or The Gods, or the Demi-Gods "Different" and what would it mean for someone, a human being, to *accurately* claim divinity.

What qualifications would you put on Man in order to fulfill God-like Status. (Mods, this isn't a religious conversation, this is a philosophical conversation, read Beyond Good and Evil)

Jhale M. likes this.
  2. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I mean, you could get whatever you like whenever you like. And you would be immortal. So, you don't care about dying either. Sound good, until it's not.

Marsigne likes this.
  3. Lothloran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Interesting... Is that what it would mean? Or is that just the function of the meaning? Certainly seems like that would be the reality but what about the depth of that reality?

4. Alexander Hawksmoor

Alexander Hawksmoor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A God without compassion in nothing more than a demonic dictator, yet a God without justice is a pathetic excuse for one who claims that title.
    To me, a God would encompass the perfect balance that humankind is always striving to find. The satisfaction that we long for. One who we would dare not cross, but would at the same time never be afraid to approach for help. Someone who is unlike us but at the same time is able to share our burdens and understand our pain. One who has ultimate power, but uses it for the good of others, has ultimate authority yet shows humility in been a part of their creation, not abstract from it.

Marsigne, Shikashi, Jhale M. and 2 others like this.
  5. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, there are generally 2 different definitions of being a god:

1. The one almighty being that controls all. Being this, you're pretty much invincible, capable of just about everything. Untouchable, unbeatable etc etc. A human being wouldn't be able to normally obtain this status, unless it was somehow given to them from the god itself. That person would become kind of a successor, and at that point no longer resemble its former, human self (so not really worth striving for if you want to stay yourself).
    2. The being that rules over a certain concept (war, love, fire etc). Say you're the god of fire, it means you are the absolute master over everything that involves fire, and have ultimate power and control over it. If you're the god of war, it means you're the one who always wins wars. You get the point... In a story, a human could reach this status as being some kind of legend, who would not be considered a real god, but is so gifted at something, they might as well be. Or if in the story, a person obtains special equipment so powerful that it grants them the ultimate power over something (one of the elements), that they could pretty much pass as a god at that point.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  6. Lothloran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Those are some interesting answers.
    Let me share my thoughts with you and maybe we can delve deeper into the subject. My train of thought derives from the "Man as a fallen angle" / "Man as a rising beast" dichotomy.
    If Man is a rising beast, then we originate from Nature and share the qualities of the Natural world, the wolf is cunning and vicious, the sheep is soft and docile, etc etc etc.
    Aristotle says that Man is a social animal; anyone so independent as to abandon society is either a beast or a God. Voltaire says that society is a system which emerged from the will of Man to contain the "wolf", or rather Man's inherent beastliness, and His wild nature.

So within this framework; Nietzsche says that Society is like a limbo between Nature and Heaven, or that Man is a tortured being trapped between the Beast and God, if this is true and we accept that Darwin says that all life is the result of incremental change and evolution in response to different factors, then it must be a truth; as Nietzsche conjectured, that Mankind must evolve his way to Godhood.

So I ask the question; under what conditions or circumstances do you think Mankind would be in a position to continue the chain of Evolution towards Godhood of any or all variety, even if you conclude that Godhood means a being that is as superior to Man in his current state as that current state is superior to an ant.

I am disgusted by transhumanism as a general rule since this is not really evolution, there's no natural selection, there's no Truth to it, it's just those who have the means to purchase augmentation being able to change the aspects of their mind/being and enhance what already exists.

Moreover, I wonder if you think that such conditions would be possible within the present day sociopolitical modalities. Are we allowing ourselves to improve? Or are we facilitating devolution through hyper-cosmopolitan snobbishness like seat-belt laws.

consolcwby, Canini and Jhale M. like this.
  7. Alexander Hawksmoor

Alexander Hawksmoor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I suppose the question is wouldn't be so much whether such a thing be possible, so much as would we want such a thing to be possible. Man is far too flawed for such a thing, power corrupts even the well meaning of people. Mankind is just not capable of such restraint, patience, responsibility. To me evil is circumstantial, if one is capable, then all are given the right circumstances. I would also add that even though mankind has made many great leaps in terms of technological and triumphant feats, I also see so much de-evolution and de-humanisation when it comes to morals and decency in everyday life, its why I dont watch the news much anymore. I need to get off twitter too.

Philosophus Vagus likes this.
  8. Jhale M.

Jhale M. Goddess of health, purity and truth. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    The best humans for the job are the ones who die young because there is so much pressure not to be godlike, not to proclaim that you would want to take on the responsibility of a god or goddess, no matter how innocent. The common views on narcissism/selfishness are essentially what define people's opinions on the concept of the deification of a human. And there is also the sad fact that the majority of cults and self-deifying people are just using it as a front to live life how they want to and give up on society's morals or whatever. I have, however, been to a place where I may have found truly enlightened people who could do moderately well on the playing field of god. There are also countries where enlightenment seems to be more easily attained.

Marsigne likes this.
  9. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    That is a pretty interesting opinion and one I have not seen before. I am of the opinion that if man will ever evolve (or whatever word you want to use) it will be through transhumanism, but I am also of the opinion that it will never work for the exact same reasons you state.

10. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'd first take over Earth and rule with my iron fist, probably start judging entire populations and go from there.

Does it really matter? We live in a simulation anyway...

11. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I would rule over the weak mortals with pleasure.
    A god is for me nothing more than a king, but with mighty powers.
    So I dont know which qualifications a god should have, because a king is viewed different, someone is always angry at you with your decisions.
    I think mankind lost its ways somewhere in the past and if there would be gods they would have interfered long time ago.
    So if no one wants this job, give it to me, but dont think I go easy on you!^^

12. PitjePitjePitje

PitjePitjePitje Villager Member

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To me the idea that makes the most sense is the one where the closest humanity will ever get to divinity is if (when?) we develop a true artificial intelligence. That will also show us who we really are: how will the entity/being we built treat us? IMO it would be very, very interesting to live in a world where we are no longer at the top of the food chain/the food chain no longer matters (what are an AI's needs?). We'd be just another species inhabiting the planet of the A.I.s, the same way that we treat most other creatures now.

13. Mystryl_Shada

Mystryl_Shada Crutch Ninja Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, this is a fun topic, but one I find hard to answer without talking religion, because its so core to what I think God is. But taking the question just on its own, I think a God would be one who has had a hand in the creation of a world and/or the people in it, and who therefore has its wellbeing most in mind. Rather like a parent with children.

Its also difficult to define a deity without defining its opposite. Using Skyrim as a reference (to avoid actual religions, and because it is a widely played game and the most likely for people to relate with), the "gods" of that world were the Aedra, celestial beings who used their powers to create the world and its denizens. The "demons" of that world were the Daedra, who had no hand in the creation of the world, but sought to use their powers to influence and control those within it. A difference in creation and using one's powers for the benefit of the world, versus just taking what one wants and using one's powers to control.

So to me, being a God means creating something and seeing to its care and cultivation; not too strictly, or it'll stunt its growth, and you'll come off more as a demon, but just enough so that the world and its people thrive. So I guess this is why I find game designing so interesting; its like practicing to be a God, lol. Ditto with farming, parenting, crafts, painting . . . I just love creativity.

Marsigne likes this.
  14. Nivlacart

Nivlacart I just opened an art shop 11/6 :D Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Really intense game balancing decision-making

Marsigne likes this.
  15. consolcwby

consolcwby (2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P Veteran

Somewhere the East Coast of the USA... i think...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, to my understanding, the term "god" can refer to many things... however, to be the only or real god, one must be able to do three things simultaneously and with full conscious control over them:
    1) Exist within the physical reality: What we consider to be "Scientific Reality"- the observable.
    2) Exist within the quantum reality: What we consider to be "Metaphysical Reality" - the mathematically absurd and unquantifiable.
    3) Exist outside of all realities itself, including all matter, energy, mathematical constructs, and fields: exist within nothingness where there is only you and nothing else: the "Divine Reality" - which very few people claim exist.

Only two humans ever claimed this, so therefore... it's a tough accomplishment.
    The Logos and the Antilogos. There I said it! Yell at me now!

If ANYONE thinks humanity can achieve all three... I've got a bridge I can sell to you, cheap. Once bought, you can do whatever you want with it, like build a toll booth. It's in Brooklyn so there's lots of traffic and millions to be made! I'd do it myself, but I'm too lazy to be bothered! lol

Marsigne and Philosophus Vagus like this.